Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Oldie converting to SP says hello!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by MmmmBob, May 8, 2008.

1. MmmmBob

MmmmBob IncGamers Member

Oldie converting to SP says hello!

Hello there :soapbox:

Played D2 when it first came out and keep coming back to it because it is still quite an awesome game that sucks me back in from time to time.

I decided to switch to single player because well I'm sick of closed b.net. The lag, the duping, the loss of hard earned characters and equips etc. My last run with D2 before the last ladder reset on USEast I had raised a pretty awesome summonmancer that could do chaos trist on his own albeit very very difficult, and I was dissapointed when I started playing again and of course he and all my other lil characters were gone.

So this time around I wanted to try out the single player mode and to my suprise I really like some of the benefits of it like well not dealing with noobs and actually enjoying the game progression instead of rushes through everything, the /players X function is awesome and the lack of any lag is fantastic. I missed some of the multiplayer interaction though but I stumbled upon this thread on the GameFAQs forum that told me diabloii.net had a well-organized single player community and I was like "o rly" so I decided to pay the SPF a visit.

I was really impressed with all the FAQs, the rules, how well organized this place is and from reading the threads the people seem nice too. So I look forward to being apart of this community during my time through D2 on the single player route. :jig:

I play 1.11 RWC/RWM? (still learning these acronyms) SC
    - Ladder people shouldn't get all the good stuff! so I still wanted access to my beloved RWs like spirit, insight, infinity, etc.

My favorite character: Summonmancers! I love having things kill for me while I whistle and run around looting stuff, cursing, and corpse booming. Although besides merc moron himself who tends to get himself killed on a regular basis the skeletons can be morons as well, I look forward to building an enigma again once I find or trade for the runes so I can teleport and put the morons where I want them.

Most hated thing in D2: The poison lance vipers in nihlathak temple, the morons aren't as smart as their master and walk right through the bugged things owning themselves.

Favorite thing in D2: The lil noises the fetishes make, my favorite revives, up there with cows

Current Character: Lvl 70ish summonmancer just killed NM Baal to access hell, but I'm not helling it quite yet, it's skeery.

Looking for: I'd really like to partner up with someone or a small group of people and just make some vanilla characters and just play through the game from scratch with no twinking or anything and play some synergy chars like sorc and vengencedin or what have you.

Edit: I do have one question. Is there a mod that allows access to the pandemonium event? It's a great challenge and would be the only regret of closed b.net I'd leave behind.

Sorry for the wall of text on the introduction post, just excited to be here! Thanks for reading if you've gotten this far and I look forward to being a part of the SPF community! :fortuneteller:

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. nepeta

nepeta IncGamers Member

Re: Oldie converting to SP says hello!

Welcome to the show! Read all the faqs and whatnot, see you next year :wave: Seriously though, good luck with the play, hope you'll get infinity soon :) Oh, and this...

Don't worry about that, every once in a while some bnet kiddos evolve and come here, teh painz... ;)

3. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

Welcome to the Light!

Pandemonium event is the Diablo Clone, right? Sorry, there aren't any mods that are considered legit on this forum that allows him to walk the earth, or to go to visit Lilith and friends. You can get the keys though :rolleyes:

Good luck with your playing, check out the MP forum for multiplayer action.

4. Zefimas

Zefimas IncGamers Member

Hey welcome!

Hope you'll enjoy your stay, but if I were you, I woudn't count to much on making that Enigma of yours here. You'll need a dazzling amount of luck or intensive LK and such farming sessions to get those runes. But a man can dream ofcourse!:azn:

Cheers

5. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I second this notion. After many years of playing, I have yet to see a rune above Gul (and yet to see a non-Hellforge rune above Pul) but that is party due to me not doing any runs.

Teleport can easily be obtained from charges on staves (easy to shop, but less practical since you can´t hold a shield at the same time), amulets and circlets.

6. sequana

sequana IncGamers Member

Welcome and enjoy playing SP :wave:.

7. MmmmBob

MmmmBob IncGamers Member

Thanks for the greetings!
    All I gotta say is I can't believe how useful these mods/utilities posted in the SPF are, ATMA is ridiculously amazing.

Also I was wondering, is there any way to macro the /players 8 command instead of typing it in every game?

8. sequoia

sequoia IncGamers Member

Haha, don't count your luck on finding those runes, but its possible. I've legitimately found a Sur and a Ber rune.

You just have to run areas that drop well, and not just bosses - which can be mindnumbingly unrewarding.

P.S. I absolutely LOVE playing through the game with synergized builds, let me know :)

9. Sessily

Sessily IncGamers Member

There are other less expensive ways to obtain items, as you'll see. Naj's Puzzler, for example, has 69 charges of Teleport on it. Relatively easy to farm from Hell Meph. Just put it on switch and there ya go. A bajillion times less expensive pseudo-engima.

Don't let them scare you. I've found up to Sur and just had a Gul drop the other day. But don't be fooled : high level runewords require either countless hellforge rushes (much easier on SP, of course) or incredible dedication.

What I admire about this forum is that though quite strict, the mods do a very good job at keeping the trading pool clean and legit. Battle.net duping is crazy and gives a false perspective on the game : high level runes are actually BY FAR the most hard to find items in the game.

Of course, there are mods that allow just about anything including the Pandemonium Event in SP, but using them will cause you to not be able to MP/trade on this forum and since that seems to be pretty important to you you may have to forgo it. :(

Glad to see you!

10. MmmmBob

MmmmBob IncGamers Member

sequoia I'll def keep ya in mind for synergizing

also what is the reasoning behind the community being against chaos trist mod just out of curiosity, I just find chaos trist to be a crazy challenge and the torch is a superb reward, Uber Diablo I can do without but I was just wondering why chaos trist is a no no, I won't use it if the community frowns on it but I was just curious of the reason

11. Cupcakesnbeer

Cupcakesnbeer IncGamers Member

welcome MmmmBob

Enjoy your stay:thumbsup:

check out the tournies and yeah ATMA rocks!

Cheers

12. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

It's not so much the uber Tristram bit, more tho other stuff that the mod enables. Quite a lot of illegit stuff.

13. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

I didn't see an answer to this (though I may have missed it). So...

The /players setting is constant for your session of D2. Save and Exit won't reset this. So if you're doing ~20 Eldritch/Pindleskin runs to gain a couple of levels, you only need to type in the /players setting once, and it will stay that way until you completely exit the entire game.

Another method is to use the up and down arrows on your keyboard when in the 'chat' window. This can allow you to scroll through your previous commands (but only for the current game - Save & Exit will remove the back-history).

For example, I've tried a few Baal runs for maximum experience... and in Hell, the usually pattern is to clear the throneroom on /players1, switch to /players8 for the minions, then drop to /players3 for Baal. When I'm doing this, I usually type in the /players1 at the start of my run, then when I've cleared the throne room and am waiting for the Carver pack so spawn (Colenzo? :tongue:), I hit enter, press the up arrow, and delete the "1" and replace it with the "8". It's a little easier than typing it all out if you've got happy-fingers like me and are trying to rush through the command before the pack spawns.

Regarding the Chaos/Trist mod:
    If I'm not mistaken the monster AI is different in the mod too (I believe the Closed BNet version stores the AI on their servers, so the mod had to recreate that, and didn't do a perfect job). So, I don't think it's quite the same experience/difficult process it is on closed BNet.

Irregardless, it's definitely a mod that's seriously frowned on at this forum. If you want to use/try it, that's your own business, but please let people know before joining an MP game, or participating in trading or giveaways.

Welcome to the SPF, and enjoy your stay.

14. MmmmBob

MmmmBob IncGamers Member

Oh I didn't know it came with extra illegit stuff, guess I will stay away from it then.

And thanks for the info sirpoop I didn't know the /players X stays at whatever you set it as long as you don't close the game out all the way. I also didn't know that the chaos trist mod can't exactly replicate the mob behavior as it does on B.net, if it's not a perfect replica and comes with illegit stuff I think I'll just keep away from it.

15. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

See what sirpoops said about not needing to retype it. Also, using the chat history makes it easier if you're changing the setting in-game, such as on Baal runs, like he said.

That said, I'm so lazy with regards to this that I've given thought to writing a program for it. It would actually be two programs; one would run on my computer in the background, and simulate keystrokes to D2, and the other would run on my PDA. That way, I could just reach over and poke a section of my PDA screen that would be a '/players1', '/players3', or '/players8' button, for example.

An alternative is to finish writing the custom software for my PowerMate, and then I could just 'dial up' or 'dial down' the setting with ease. Heh.

Yes, I'm a computer geek. Proud of it, too. :)

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot. Welcome to the SPF.

16. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

The only mods acceptable in this forum are RWM/RRM and CRM.

You may backup your character, try the Uber mod and then restore the saved character to a point BEFORE the uber mod was tried. However, no item found during that run should be kept.

Any character/item found on a character used during that run should not come into contact via MP or trade with the main SP(T)F pool.

17. xduckster

xduckster IncGamers Member

This is only party true. If you simply type something then it won't save it if you Save & Exit, but you can get one item to stick around.

When I do baal runs, the first thing I do is
    1) type /players1 and hit enter.
    2) Hit enter again and press the up arrow and hit enter again.
    3) Repeat step 2 a bunch of times (maybe 4 or 5)

This should save /players1 in the games memory so that even after you kill baal on say players 3 and Save & Exit, all you have to do is repeat enter -> up arrow -> enter.

18. LordHoth

LordHoth IncGamers Member

Yea! More fishy/summonmancer enthusiasts like myself! :thumbsup:

I keep trying to make Hammerdins, various sorceress builds, and other characters, but I always get bored (yes, summon necros are exciting to me, I also like to watch grass grow and paint dry in my spare time ^^) and seem to head back to my ol' necro (a smidge away from 91 at the moment).

Welcome to the forums.

19. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

What, no shin kick yet?

*kick shin*

Welcome to SPF, check tourny thread if you want something different.

20. TheBhoy

TheBhoy IncGamers Member

*heals shins with blood golem.

my summoner is currently rocking along nicely as well. Welcome to the SPF - not a bad crowd at all but there are a couple of crazies...:)