Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Old SP'er looking to get back in the game

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Lynchgrinch, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Lynchgrinch

Lynchgrinch Diabloii.Net Member

Hey guys,

I used to frequent these parts a good 6-8 years ago. Life has gotten in the way since then, university happened, I got married etc ect...but now I'm looking to get back in the game. Last character I was serious about was a dedicated MF'ing CL/Frozen orb sorc who was about CLvl 92 iirc. I loved her like nothing else. I was about 70% of the way into completing my Grail. :(

So...the plan is for me to get back into the game tonight, Pat/Mat a few characters and get my grail going from the very beginning.

I've been lurking again for a few weeks now, it's good to see this place still exists and some of the faces are even familiar if I squint hard enough.

Is there anything I should know about in my absence? Are people still doing MP? Help!

Cheers!:):D;):rolleyes:

T72on1 likes this.
  2. SunsetVista

SunsetVista Diabloii.Net Member

Welcome back! I also came back recently and am so happy that this place still exists!

Good luck with your restarted Grail!

Lynchgrinch likes this.
  3. Lynchgrinch

Thanks! I'm gonna need that luck! Hopefully I'll be able to get MF'ing pretty soon. I might make a Grail-From-Scratch thread when I do get started! I wonder what my first grailers will be?

4. SunsetVista

Isenhart's Case! Cathan's Seal!
    jk, hope you get better ones than that. How about...
    Gull! Nagelring! Cow King's Set! Tyraels...nope, one thing at a time.

Will you remake a magic find CL/orb sorc for this or start something else?

Hopefully some other posters can come along and answer the MP and version questions.

5. Lynchgrinch

Hahahahaha!!

Yeah, I'm most comfortable with CL/FO but I always liked a good 'Zerker too. Probably pat/mat one of each then branch out.

What you playing just now?

6. SunsetVista

I'm currently doing a Hydra/Blizz sorc in the Old Gods of Chaos tournament:
    http://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/ø-old-gods-of-chaos-tournament-ø.935473/
    There are some pretty tough gear and skill restrictions in that one, for example, I can't use teleport or static or an Act 2 merc on this sorc. I picked a challenge like that to get back into the game because I intend to finish up a bunch of old HC tourney characters next, after I remember how to play, so I don't just kill them off out of ignorance. So far it's going really well. Just rescued Cain in Hell. Hydra is better than I thought it would be, and unsynergized Blizzard gets the job done but maybe not as well as Frozen Orb would.

7. Lynchgrinch

Yeah, I had a peek at that one. I'm not ready for Hardcore or big restrictions yet either. It's the grailers that I want!

Fire Sorcs always gave me the fear! Hydra/blizz sounds fun though.

I never did get into playing HC, although I'd love to. Let's see how a few months of playing go. I'd like to mat/pat some more of the major builds first...I never did get round to finishing my fishymancer properly.

I've pretty much exclusively played with Sorc/Barb and Paladin builds...dabbled with all characters but never to endgame lvls.

8. Lynchgrinch

Also, for those of you who can help...I'm a dirty heathen who plays on Mac...

I know all about GoMule...but in terms of other mods out there like the RWM and RRM...there doesn't seem to be an updated version for v1.14. Should I download an earlier patch or is there another alternative? Thanks :)

9. Neksja

Neksja Diabloii.Net Member

First of all, welcome back! The game is addictive, isn't it? I came back few months ago from 6ish year break and now looking more hooked than ever. Good luck with the grail, I'm now down to ~70 items missing since the start.

Also, welcome to the Heathen club, I play on Mac as well. At the moment, there is no RWM for Mac in v1.14. The good news is, that you don't need RRM, all the runes are already orange in color, I think that changed with v1.13? Anyhow, you wouldn't have an access to any Windows computer? That's my work around to RWM, I have an old Windows notebook, D2:LoD v1.14 with RWM installed and I just move my character to that computer, roll my RWM runeword and then move back to Mac and continue playing. So, as long as you have some sort of method of obtaining the item with RWM runeword in it, it will stay as the runeword once moved back to Mac.

When it comes to which version to get on Mac, I have no clue, since I got my most recent copy through Blizzard Digital store, which is automatically v1.14b I think.

10. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

You people and your Macs :)I have always liked their phones, but I am not so fond of their computers.

Welcome back to the best game ever made! Hopefully you can get RWM working, or a way to use it. I would hate to be without my merc using an Insight. Just a reminder, if you do have a windows machine to mule items over to roll the Runewords with, you don't have to get another copy of Diablo. I have the same version on my PC and 2 laptops, and used to do LAN games for muling. I finally got GoMule to work last night, so now I am gonna be even worse of an item hoarder than before.

11. Twibz

Twibz Diabloii.Net Member

I also came back again! Welcome back! My return is likely to be much more casual, but still, it is nice to have returned!

My first toon is always a meteorb sorc for running multiple locations before I convert to full blizz and begin the grail hunt.

Always nice to do some MP though, once I have some characters in comfortable hell gear I wouldn't mind hooking up with some guys here...

12. Lynchgrinch

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I got my copy from the Blizzard online store too, so no dice. V1.14 it is :(

Will RWM be updated to v1.14 at some point do you think? Realistically I can live without runewords for a while. Sucks without insight, yeah...but a reaper's toll could do just fine.

I don't have access to a PC unfortunately. My brother-in-law works for apple so the wife and I took advantage of his discount!!

Progress update: I just rescued Cain with my soon to be CL/FO Sorceress (Tattersail - Any Malazan fans up in here?) who is now lvl 8, and have the combined MF of a single chipped topaz. Go me!!

No grailers yet :(

13. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

@Lynchgrinch Welcome back :).

I'm afraid I can't help you with the Mac stuff, as I never owned one. I know that @Xirys , a member who recently joined our ranks, got it to work on his Mac, so maybe he can help you out?

I don't think that RWM will be updated btw, but the old version works just fine for PC as it is.

Good luck with the grail. While you are at it, maybe you can combine it with this fun little challenge? It's great fun, and if you tailor it somewhat to also do some serious Mephisto running early on, it's a good way to get that grail. That's how @Neksja did it too iirc. Obviously keep on doing Pit / AT / Pindle runs after level 94, instead of switching to CS, is more efficient in terms of finding items. But that's why we do our MFOs (Magic Find Olympics) once in a while in between, right? ;)

14. Lynchgrinch

Thanks for all the help, folks. 'Tis much appreciated!

@T72on1 I had a look at that one, I'm totally game! I'm busying myself with NM countess right now. Already found some grailers and my highest rune so far is Shael, which i found in the WSK. Good omen? We'll see. NM Mephisto running is life, i'll get there tomorrow no doubt and sit there until i find a vipermagi. Can NM mephisto drop an occy? My drop knowledge is rusty just now :p

15. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Nice !!! Looking forward to your first post in that thread soon ;).

According to this drop calculator, The Occulus can indeed drop from NM Mephisto.