Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Old School..

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Jarlan, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Jarlan

Jarlan IncGamers Member

Old School..

Hello, I played a good 3 years ago - And most sorc's were Frozen Orb / Nova. Is this a viable build anymore? I see meteorb and blizzard sorc's now. It was alot different when I played. What makes these builds superior to good old fashioned play? Also, if Orb / Nova isnt viable, How is a Hyrda sorceress?

Any input welcome.

-Thanks in advance.

2. Chronus24

Chronus24 IncGamers Member

OOO! I want to get this one! Ok...With the advent of the patch version 1.10, all monsters in the diablo II world become significantly stronger, much more so than in pre-1.10 times or "old school" as you might say. Ergo, to cope with these new hardships, the powers that be bestowed upon the diablo characters "synergies". These allow for a skill point in one skill to presently and retroactivly enhance whatever skillpoint it is synergized with in what ever fashion its specified. This information is all found in the actual skill windows. As per specifically your question, the reason that fronzen orb/nova sorc are no longer viable is due to these synergies or rather the lack thereof on those particular skills. For instance, Nova has no skill to which it can recieve a synergy bonus from, so while maxed nova was strong enough for the monsters of previous diablo versions, the new stronger version just shrug it off. Frozen orb remains a viable secondary skill since it has decent damage, a good spread, and the use of Cold Mastery. But alone, it is lacking since its only synergy is with Ice Bolt and even then its only a paltry 2% more damage per skill point in Ice Bolt. Blizzard is quite the opposite. Naturally, Blizzard deals a somewhat significant amount of damage, but it has three synergies with Ice Bolt, Ice Blast, and Glacial Spike. Each skill point put into those skills adds 5% damage to Blizzard, culminating in around 3500-4000 damage, give or take +skills items (+ skills items have NO effect on synergies, only hard spent skill points count towards those. Example: I have one spare skill point. BLizzard already has a skill level of 1 as does Glacial spike has a skill level of 1. If I equipt an ammy of +1 cold skills, both skills' level rise to two, however Blizzard does not gain the bonus %5 synergy damage from glacial spike. Only when I put that one spare skill point into glacial spike does blizzard recieve the %5 boon.). Anyway, with Blizzard is already doing 3500-4000 dmg., we have yet to even add the bonus of cold mastery, which lowers the cold resist of monsters. so with lvl 17 Cold Mastery conveying -100 to monsters resitances, that is in effect (on a monster with 0 cold resist to begin with) doing 3500 to 4000 damage times 100. So the obviously overwhelming power of blizzard is there.

And as per hydra, it too isn't usually favored due to its low damage and lack of significant synergies. However, if you want to make a hydra sorc, then go for it. No one ever said you HAVE to make a cookie cutter build.

And the thing with meteorb sorc, as I already said, Orb makes a good secondary skill, and meteor, with its naturally crazy damage becomes even more crazy with two synergies (firball and fire bolt) as well as fire mastery. The bonus here is that you have more flexablility when dealing with immunes on Hell difficulty (i.e. If a Blizzard sorc comes across a pack of Cold Immunes, unless she has a tank of a merc, she's **** out of luck, but meteorb could spam a few meteors on be on her merry way.)

Well, I hope I have mitigated some of your confusion rather than exacerbate it. You really should start playing again if you want, its quite a different game than it used to be...maybe not different per say, but more complex.

3. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

good boy chronus, here, have a doggy treat. or a piece of cake. your choice.

anywho... a few things. if you lower the enemy res to -100 from 0, you are doubling your dmg, not multiplying by 100. it is 100% more dmg. (for those of you who are less math inclined, that is 1 times extra dmg bringing the end dmg to 2 times.)

about hydra: its always been a pvp skill. it might have been semi-useful for pvm in the past. but now its only good for pvp. i don't mean to discourage non-cookie cutter builds, but plz don't make this your first char, if you intend to make it pvm, you will need mega-gear.

a few old school builds still work. well pure orb is close to some of the old builds. but ya, synergies really changed the way things work.

for a first char back, i would recommend going cookie-cutter simply because there is a reason they are cookie-cutter: they are powerful. if you are going to play in groups, you can go pure cold (blizzard), pure lightning(lightning/chain lightning), or pure fire (fireball/meteor). if you intend to not play in groups, try a 2 tree sorc, preferably the meteorb or the CL/orb.

(all the above mentioned builds should have guides for them in the sticky at the top of the page, if not ask)

btw: lightning and chain lightning no longer depend on IAS. they use a different FCR table though. look in monk's CL/orb guide, i think its in there.

4. Chronus24

Chronus24 IncGamers Member

Well, neither the bone nor the cake is very Atkins freindly, so I shall have to abstain. And no, I am in no way math inclined, so thanks for fixing my 100/100% mix up.

5. mathil

mathil IncGamers Member

well, i have crackers, but they might be stale, are they suppose to be green?