Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

old player returning - a lot has changed

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by davedmc, Jun 3, 2005.

1. davedmc

davedmc IncGamers Member

old player returning - a lot has changed

Hi everyone,

I am returning to Diablo after a long time off (stopped playing around the time 1.10 came out) and have a few questions. I plan on playing with my brother this time PVM only and we plan on playing a concentrate barb and a bowazon. My plan is to trade crafting suplies that we find for the low level unique items that we will need to finish the game in hell difficulty but it appears that the economy has changed significantly since I last played. My strategy used to involve trading for SOJs and trading them for the equipment that I needed. Since I am playing ladder now, it appears that I need to find another strategy. Here are my questions:
    1. Are chips still of any value? (I don't see them mentioned anymore)
    2. What is something that is findable for a newbie that everyone would want that I should start collecting?
    3. Is there anything else that I should know about trading for low level uniques?
    4. Should I be playing ladder?

Thanks in advance.

2. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

Perfect gems are your friend right now, you can get many useful uniques for perfect gems. I'm just guessing at what you're wanting, but stuff like Shaftstop, Stormshield, Vampire Gaze, String of Ears, Eaglehorn, and IK pieces (save armor) are all obtainable with perfect gems (I think you get the idea here).

If you're curious, people want perfect gems to re-roll the mods on magical items (usually grand charms to try for skillers with a good 2nd mod).

Edit: I recommend playing ladder; there are some great cheap runewords available there (such as Spirit, Insight, and Obedience).

3. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

Since you're starting fresh, there is no reason not to play ladder, IMHO. That being said, pgems are the way to go, and some of the crafting runes (especially ral) and junk jewels can also be traded in bulk (think at least 20+)to crafters for mid runes. Currently on US east ladder, 30 pgems will get you a pul, which will get you most of the exceptional uniques and enough elites to build all you need for pvm (there is a price guide stickied in the trade forum.) Also, junk jewels = about 1 pgem, and rals = about 2. And don't forget to collect flawless gems and lower runes so you can cube them up.

4. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

soj s are very expensive nowadays since all got sold to merchants to spawn the uber diablo.

any crafting supply will egt you what you need though. Also perfect gems and even money ( for these insane gamblers ) :)

also, keep in mind that by now even on ladder you have very low prices. for most uniques a few perfect gems will do. realy a few. if u r lucky enugh you ll get someone whit too many mules droppping you enugh items for free, by now :) but dont count on that. :)

oh, a 1.10 specific hint : use sinergies. they are the biggest change in 1.10

5. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Solid advice from the other posters, but also consider this:

You don´t need any uniques to beat the game, especially not with such a good and balanced 2-character team as you two plan to play.

6. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Regarding chips, blizzard nerfed the old 3 chipped gems and a magic sword formula with v1.10. They are only useful for cubing up specific runes, and then only one at a time.
    Pgems (especially Amethysts) and Ral runes are good items to save for trading. Gold is great for gambling rares and even sets/uniques. The odds have gone from impossible to reasonable in 1.10.
    Note that many endgame items from v1.09 like the lightsabre or buriza are almost worthless now. Check the Trade Values Forum for an idea of current prices.

Welcome back!

7. druliusCleaver

druliusCleaver IncGamers Member

Agreed... with solid builds and a two player team, enough decent equipment will drop for you as you play through the game, you shouldn't NEED to trade. I've played with a friend in a team into Hell, but neither of us specifically followed any build guides or thought about the team aspect as we added skills to our chars. For us, without trading for better gear, we are basically stuck in Hell and not making progress. Just to give you an idea of a team that needs good gear in Hell, I built a fire/light sorc with Hydra as her main skill and chain light as her backup. My friend built a "little bit every skill" bowazon. Neither of these chars can successfully leave Blood Moor solo in Hell. If I use my second computer and bring my cleric Paly into the team (who can't leave Blood Moor alone either), our party has advanced deep into Hell act 2, although it's a fairly slow advance since I'm controlling two simultaneous chars in the field.

good luck, welcome back and have fun.

8. jiansonz

I do not agree. I think the three chipped/regular/flawless gems recipes are very useful for us untwinked players (especially since the monsters/chests in some Hell Act 1 areas (Pit, Mausoleum, Crypt) now can drop the high-end elite weapon types (those that have so high qlvl so these recipes allows Cruel to spawn). The only "nerf" for swords is that you get 1-2 sockets instead of 3. On the other hand, these recipes work with ALL weapons (for example, you can reroll sorcie orbs for other +skills as soon as you get the Cube), and the middle recipe allows you to start with a socketed weapon instead of a magical one.

9. Cookies

Cookies IncGamers Member

Damn true! :D I use the useful wand/orbs and vendor the useless, got quick cash for gambling! :lol:

10. cotton

cotton IncGamers Member

I think what he meant is that chips no longer have trade value because the sword recipe was nerfed. Bottom line--if you are looking to trade, collect perfects, not chips.

11. davedmc

davedmc IncGamers Member

Thanks for the help everyone. Can anyone make any suggestions on equipment for our concentrate barb and bowazon? Stuff that can be traded for with perfect gems.

12. jiansonz

I have no idea about what stuff is worth, since I don´t trade. But I can suggest some stuff that was awesome for my Concentrate barb:

* upgraded Fleshrender, socketed with a Shael
    * The Sigon´s gloves/shield combo (shield socketed with appropriate resist gem)

13. Lensor

Lensor Banned

A cheap setup for a bowazon (strafer) could be:
    Witchwild string bow with 2xShael rune (can be upped). Harmony rune word is also a good (and cheap) option.
    Twichthroe armor with 15ias jwl (can also be upped) or a spirit forge with 2x15ias jwls, or one of the cheaper runewords. Ias is king though.
    Razortail belt
    Any fitting amu with leach/stats/resists. Skills not that important.
    Laying of hands gloves (ias/ed to demons) or cleglaws (knockback) or any crafted hitpower gloves (knockback + whatever other mods you can get). Try to get a helm with leach/ias/resist.. I like andariel visage, cost ~Pul though (on EuHCL).
    The best boots for a bowazon is wartravellers. As you don't care about the mf mod, you may be able to get low ones cheaply. Otherwise, any boots with frw/stats/resists that fit with the rest of your equipment.
    One ring has to be a ravenfrost, no amazon should leave home without one. A bad one doesn't cost much. The other ring somthing with AR/leach/resist/stats.

Make sure you got enough mana leach and life leach to sustain full bulbs. For strafezon, try to reach the 9/2 breakpoint (>86%ias i believe for the WWS bow). Try to get a couple of passive grand charms, cleans dont cost that much, but are really helpful. Remember, a bowazon tend to be quite item-dependent, as she does not get that much damage from skills (unless you use frozen arrow). Keep all max/ar/othermod charms you find, and exchange them as you find better ones.

This setup will take you well into hell (although you may have to upgrade some of the items by then), given that you have spent your skills and stats wisely.

Check out the amazon (and barb) forums, a lot of guides/ideas there. :thumbsup:

14. Skelion

Skelion IncGamers Member

Magic Find

You might want to consider outfitting your barb with magic find gear. It should be fairly easy to get to about 300% (that's 200% additional MF from items). His Find Item skill allows you 2 chances from each dead mob for drops. Of course, this makes him weaker than he would otherwise be, but with an amazon partner, he should be able to handle it. By the time you finish NM, you should have picked up enough uniques and set items to be in pretty good shape, with ladder trading.

I also have returned after years off playing MMORPGS, and only playing single player before and since. I just started my first ladder toon a week ago, and he is finishing Act 5 NM today. So far, my skellymancer has end game equiptment in armor, helm, boots, belt, weapon, and decent stuff in the other slots. with about 500% MF. I am filling up mules with uniques, set items, and jewels.

Get familiar with the trade value of runes and pgems, this is where most of your trades will come from. Check the East ladder trade forum for values and availability.

If you are still low level, I'd be happy to donate any items I have on mules to get you started.

Look for me ingame as Skelion.