Old Player Newb Question

DragnReborn

Diabloii.Net Member
Old Player Newb Question

Its been a few years since I've played and the game has managed to suck me in once again. I have two questions. If theyve been answered plz link me or tell me to search it doesnt bother me. 1. What is the deal with upgrading items and whatnot. 2. What does rolling gcs into skillers? Im guessing it obviously has to do with turning a GC into a charm that adds a +1 to skill but im still really lost. thanks

*fookakis714
US-East[L]

Xenon[XoA]

Banned
rolling gCs means sticking it into your Cube with 3 Pgems. It randomly rerolls (hence the rolling) the item, giving it a new set of affixes. GCs found in Nightmare Flayer Jungle and beyond can be cubed to skillers, although most people cube Hell Nihlathak-dropped, or Baal-dropped charms, as they can get the maximum amount of life (45) as a prefix.

If you were questioning what Skillers are, they're simply GCs that have +1 to a class-specific skill. ex, a Sparking Grand Charm. Lightning skiller.

Rerolling isnt limited to gCs, it's just more popular. Any magical (blue) item will do.

Upgrading armors gives them more defense, upgrading weapons gives them more base damage. The requirements, both level and stat, increase with the upgrade though.

ael

Diabloii.Net Member
Upgrading armors gives them more defense, upgrading weapons gives them more base damage. The requirements, both level and stat, increase with the upgrade though.
.... and you could end up with even less def/dmg. Thats because often a unique exeptional item`s base item`s max dmg/def is higher than the base item`s elite version`s min dmg/def, because the new base item`s def/dmg will be chosen randomly. Confusing enough? Thought so.

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
ael said:
.... and you could end up with even less def/dmg. Thats because often a unique exeptional item`s base item`s max dmg/def is higher than the base item`s elite version`s min dmg/def, because the new base item`s def/dmg will be chosen randomly. Confusing enough? Thought so.
Iirc this is only the case for defensive items.

Example: Upgrading a Vampire Gaze

Grim Helm 60-125 (+100% defense, best roll can get 251 defense)
Bone Visage 100-157 (+100% defense, worst roll can get 201 defense)

This isn't the case for weaponry, since the base damage is fixed.

Xenon[XoA]

Banned
IntelligentX said:
Don't most unique armors always get max defence with +1 instead of being a variable?
Nope.
That's why upped vipers range between like 800 ish and 1026? 1027?

Superior armors are always max+1def though (base) before the %ed is applied.

Evrae Altana

Diabloii.Net Member
IntelligentX said:
Don't most unique armors always get max defence with +1 instead of being a variable?
Any armor with the +% enhanced defense mod will have a max base defense +1. When you upgrade a rare/unique armor, the base defense is rerolled.