Old newbie returning

Lundorff

Diabloii.Net Member
Old newbie returning

So, umm, hello *waves* :eek:)

I have, as many others it would seem, decided to reinstall D2:EXP and give it another spin - it must be at least 5 years since last time. I remember being introduced to this game during a LAN party when the game had just been released and I fell completely in love with it. My first character, a sorcerer, beat diablo in hell at level 55 or so with Ice Blast lol - this was pre-EXP. Fun times.

And now it is time to give the necroclass a go!

I am planing on creating a Fishy/Poisoner ment primarily for PvM and perhaps som MFing. I have read several guides and feel relatively comfortable with the direction this is going, but I wouldn't mind a few hints.

Equipment
I have absolutely nothing, no items, which only makes it that much more fun. It will probably take a long time to gather the right equipment but I am aiming high (I think):

Death's Web (Wand)
Trang Oul's (gloves, belt, shield)
Mara's Kaleidoscope (Amulet)
Harlequin Crest Shako (Hat) / Kira's Guardian (Hat)
Marrowwalk (Boots)
Stone of Jordan (Rings)
Bramble / Enigma (Armor)

Bramble will probably be preferable as I am going 20-20-20 with poison nova and synegies, but Enigma seems nice as well. Any and all advise on equipment (and hints in general) are more than welcome.

And a simple question: at what level should I enter NM and Hell?

Rgs
Lundorff

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Old newbie returning

That shako can be switched with a necro circlet. Either one with +3 to poison and bone skills or +2 to necro skills (depending on if you want raw damage or to boost your curses and summons as well). Rare and magic circlets have the potential to spawn better mods that shako. They can even get sockets, where you can add poison facets for extra damage. the amulet can also be traded for a +3 poison skills, depending on whatyou need. I say use both bramble and enigma. Enigma when you need to be fast and in PvP, and use bra,ble when you want to do high damage. If you want to stick to on though, i'd choose bramble. Other than that it looks good. People may suggest homunculus shield and arachnids mesh instead of trangs shield and belt, but don't listen to them! The -enemy resist is far too valuable.

zhadoom

Diabloii.Net Member

Hello lundorff,

first of all are u going to play hc or sc?

For ur choice as a poisonmancer: it does require some specific equipment to be really usefull in hell, for examaple some rainbow facets, or, as u said, deaths web.
For plain nightmare, where u can stay up to around level 75, u should rule the whole place with just poison nova and synergies. (Baal on nightmare can also drop some nice equip like shako btw.)

For verry low equipment a summoner would be a better choice imo, since
he doesnt really need stuff like that. He is also a great magic finder. Thats mainly because corpse explosion deals constant high damage.

Since leveling to levels around 80 is done pretty fast, going for a mf summoner to equip your other chars could be an alternative.

greets,
zha

Lundorff

Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you both.

#lumpor
Yes I am a bit uncertain about which hat to use. It is important of course, but I don't think there is one with -poison res which makes it less of a priority than most of the other gear.
My PvP aspirations are near null so Bramble is what I will be going for initially. Buuuuut if I stumbled upon Enigma-gear prior to Bramble, well, heh ;)

#zhadoom
SF. My HC slot is not even open. I hear what you are saying and I do expect Hell to be, well, HELL. I will probably wait in NM until 8X just to become a bit stronger and find some of the right equip, but I am going for a Poisonmancer hehe. CE is nice, efficient and quick but I prefer Nova as my main attack.

MasterMynd

Diabloii.Net Member

Just a note about weapons. Shopping is your best bet at getting a good summoning wand for the early game. +3RS/+3SM wands can be shopped at clvl1 and used starting at clvl3. And +3RS/+3SM/+2?? can be used starting at clvl6. Of course you're going to be changing your tactics from Skelly-based to Poison-based somewhere in late/mid-game, so the DWeb is definitely your best choice for end-game.

Last edited:

lumpor

Diabloii.Net Member

Well you're right that no helm gives -poison resistance, directly. But circlets can have one more socket than shako. And you can put rainbow facets into sockets, which increase your poison skill damage and -enemy poison resistance by 5%. shako can only have 1 socket though.