Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

old/new druid, been gone for long time, has lotsa questions =] der

Discussion in 'Druid' started by CYBERPUNK, Jun 3, 2008.

1. CYBERPUNK

CYBERPUNK IncGamers Member

old/new druid, been gone for long time, has lotsa questions =]

ok well firstoff, pardon my lack of grammar and fancy fonts and colors, i don't exactly have this forum thing down

(fyi, i ramble)

and now a little back info before i break into a tirade of questions for those out there who might answer

I haven't played D2 in years, had a buncha different classes back in the day, Frenzy barb, couple diff sorcs, few druids, never really got into the assassins/necros/pallys (had friends who did tho, veng/convic), and then i had a pretty decent burizon, but nothing too fancy, of course all that stuff is long gone now, dunno if my names were taken or what but i had to make new accounts, so whatever

anyways, I've always kinda been partial the druid and the wereforms (I think bears look [email protected]$$, but I like the speed of wolves and their skills better), but back when I was playing my fury wolf could not take out the swarms of cows like my burizon could and cow killing was the thing then, not to mention the Guided Arrow was pretty killer for most duels (Dclone was like brand new so I think I was playing in 1.09 or something, definitely before this latest 1.11)

ok soooo, anyways, I decided to dive back in recently and I'm going wolf, been lurking all over these boards and The Arreat Summit, learning some of the lingo (took me forever to figure out what the hell a Gloam was or the Undead Soul Killers, and I still don't know what JJ's are, though i figured out pammy was a perfect amethyst, guess them and skulls have more value then the rest of the gems)

was really thinking about a fury/rabies hybrid, sounds neat, but I've already got werewolf and lycan to 11ish, so I figure I'll just go pure fury at this point (maybe do a hybrid later) and use ele dmg for those immunes when i get to that point (not to mention going pure fury leaves more room for upping Feral Rage and taking Hunger, 4 pts for it is too expensive for a hybrid, unless that hybrid is FC somewhere), FC's and windys both seem cool too, but the wolf calls to me, so that's where it's at for now

I've by now read most all the druid guides (plus others as well), and have taken a liking to a few of the characters on here, I've watched all Kiba's videos on youtube (will the wolf survive is the funniest)

but I've got a couple itching questions that I don't see brought up by anyone else so maybe it's just common knowledge on here and I'm not clued in

1st up
    what makes a tomb reaver be considered a better 2hander reach weapon over a BotD GPA or GT? they both have more range and the GT is faster, is it the reqs? aside from the +res from the TR, BotD seems to have better mods and I would think could put out better dmg, because couldn't you slot it in an ethereal socketed GT or GPA?

2nd
    aside from the Grief/LT from Dracs/Hunger combo to get around IM, why would a SS druid want to use a Grief weapon over say a BotD? the Grief + dmg doesn't get factored into Fury does it? and while Grief does have Venom and some -poison res, a rabies/fury hybrid would be better off with Dweb on the switch for that

3rd
    I see a lot of runeword armors (enigma, fort, bramble) and I see them on all kinds of stuff from exceptionals to dusk shrouds to wire fleece, but it seems like Archon Plate is a sweet spot, any reason it's not THE armor to go for? is the extra 30ish str saved from a, say Dusk Shroud worth all that defense loss? (or is this purely based around enigma giving ppl enough str to use a zerk/polearm and still having a low base str? because that is crafty but really limits any gear switching possibilities)

4th
    related to 3, if you are only able to equip your gear in a certain order (say from getting a lot of str from some pieces), when you grab your body does it all fly back on, or does only the items you can equip with you base str get put on and everything else has to be put back on "manually"?

5th
    it seems to me that a eBotDz is a strong contender for top 1hander weapon, lotsa dmg, 3 rng, etc, so why would anyone use a phase blade instead? from what I see, every LITTLE bit of reach can make the difference between life/death (as in you can hit them but they can't hit you = you live, they die, well faster at least, since you get more hits in)

6th
    does anyone slot Grief into zerkers? all I see is Grief PB this and Grief PB that, what about the reach? why slot a rune that can go into the rng 3 axe into a rng 2 sword instead? is it a speed thing? does the PB speed make up for the zerks rng? (considering that Grief offers less IAS)

7th
    whats some thoughts on putting at least 1 pt into the following skills: (figuring that with +skills they might be pumped up to something useful)
    cyclone armor (2 pts here since 1 has to go to articbunk)
    raven, Swolves, Dwolves, Grizzly
    Carrion Vine (for removing corpses, not life gain)

it's not much but all the 1 pt's can add up quickly and really every build wants to be as short as possible to get to the finish line as soon as possible

8th
    last things I can think of now, (I think I'm running out of steam =P) what's up with the druids getting screwed on the class runeword armors? man =P (just hearing ppl mention using Treachery to pre-buff get me, geez)

aight well for those brave few that made it this far, title is the same if you're interested in looking me up, I'm currently high 20s on USWest ladder softcore (haven't beat the game yet with this crop, but prolly won't do the hardcore thing as of yet, MAYBE if a new ladder reset)

aight well thanks in advance for anyone who want to tango with these questions, much props to all the cool druids here, love the vids Kiba and the avatar Verashiden

2. Grimey

Grimey Banned

Re: old/new druid, been gone for long time, has lotsa questions =]

7th: Don't waste points on cycle armor, too low for absorbing big elemental attacks.

3. mystified

mystified IncGamers Member

first of all welcome back :)

it reaches fastest bp when shaeld, does massive dmg, has resists built in. its rarer than your normal GPA or GT. imo better weapon if you decide to go 2 hand in pvm (ribcracker is known to be more effective at cheaper cost tho..) with ed vs undead too

gives you block (yeah..fbr..) and average dmg is almost similar to that of botd handers (400+ average dmg. althogh it doesn't show on LCS) also 5 frame hits, and 20% deadly strike.
    in shor + dmg gets factored in. just don't show on you character screen

purely depends on your style. vs pure melee you can use fort to increase your already massive dmg and benefit from chilling armor (well to certain extent) however i don't think AP is way to go as you just don't get to see yourself when u shift. i thinki 30 stat = more life after shift + oak + bo = well worth keeping to dusk
    just don't go for sacred armor

you may have to click twice depending on item, but usually one click can do as long as all str/dex reqs are met (i.e. you didn't have to equip say a str ring to equip SS, then switch out str ring)

life ain't that simple on b net and don't tell me you don't know ;) but yeah you are right.
    but grief does more (a LOT more) dmg. choice i guess.
    oh, that and speed
    in pvm, it hardly matter ofc

yeah as above, speed. zerker grief just won't do. heck i will stick to my ribcracker in pvm, but given choice, pb is better than zerker base

mentioning carrion vine, I assume this is for general pvm too.
    well don't bother. using nature's piece if corpses bother you much. imo, its skill point waste even if you are pure fury
    also cycloon armor (even with + skills) don't do much by 1 pt. i dumpled all my leftover points into this on pure fury last ladder. didn't do as good as windy but somewhat usable in pvm
    sumons are good as meatshield. resummon as needed :)

have you seen other class specific armors? XD
    amazon and assasins are only ones who got anything decent. well you can technically use that amazon armor for critical strike.

well since i had sudden spark of interest back in wolfies and bears (*cough* aldur set *cough*) i guess this is some sort of worldwide spontaneous thing that everyone like SS drus XD

4. CYBERPUNK

hey thanks for the replies ppls

yeah i see that cyclone armor wont really be blocking much without pumping the synergies, but I see a lot of the "pros" using it, so that's why I'm wondering (it's only like 200ish dmg with 1pt and +skills from all kindsa gear)

and I went and re-looked at the speed thing versus the tomby and the BotD GT, the IAS is the same, and the GT is faster base, but then I realized that the tomby can slot 2 shaels =], so I see now

so it really does seem like out of speed/dmg/rng, that speed is tops and then you just try to get as much dmg/rng as you can, based on individual needs

and yeah the armor thing, its basically 60 life (30 pts in vit) or 60 armor (30 more pts in str), but that 60 life does get multiplied by WW and Oak, so it could be more like 200+ life, but it still gets me cause I know WW druids dont have great armor values

yeah I figure getting something with SMRIP would be better than having the carrion vine mope about, but I was thinking better than nothing, and yeah it'd be mainly versus Nihlathak, only pvp could be versus some Necros, and btw how fast does SMRIP work? cause the CV is pretty slow to gobble up bodies

and yeah I've always been kinda partial to the primal connection with shifters I guess, I'm always playing a Lunar in my friend's Exalted games

and hey btw I got a pair of the Aldurs boots if you're interested, I won't be using them for awhile anyways and I'm not putting that set together (seems like it's better for a Windy or Elem druid), I'd rather have some Gores

and hey thanks again Mystified, I was kinda hoping I'd get some more opinions on here, but I really appreciate the thorough inputs

5. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

I really don't have a whole lot to add because Mystified pretty much spelled it all out. However I wanted to say that with the dusk shroud v. archon plate debate, the 200ish+ life you get from bo/oak is far superior to the extra defense and here's why:

pvm: you don't really need defense anyway if you have this kind of gear, plus you leach back all your life :p

pvp: the difference between having say, 6k defense and 6.5k is about zero in terms of an opponent's chance to hit. melee characters are going to have 15-20+k AR easily and adding that bit of extra def won't affect their cth (chance to hit) more than 1 or 2%. I'd much rather have that extra life to absorb an extra hit. Also, vs. casters (honestly, the majority of pvp) the extra +def would be absolutely useless, while +life may save your butt by absorbing that extra hit.

Good luck with your wolf!

-f

6. CYBERPUNK

yeah I've kinda decided that as far as the big 3 armors go (enigma,bramble,fort) for wolves, Fortitude is the only one that would even benefit from the AP vs DS, since it's not +flat number def, it's +%ED, so the AP's base value being higher would make a difference

but even then still the same arguement of def vs life still holds, because if most of your armors were DS but one was an AP, then you'd still have to have the stats to swap out, so yeah I think I've been convinced that Dusk Shroud is the way to go for the Runeword Wolfie armors

but of course all this stuff is still a long ways off for me =P, having something like a grand total of 20-30 pts to my name

7. BAMFSpecialOps

BAMFSpecialOps IncGamers Member

One thing that needs to be pointed out Cyberpunk is that druids get crap life per vit point so stating around one armor isn't worth it. AP's don't have that high of req. if you have dusk/aps stat for the ap, you get most of your life from skills/oak/and bo if you have it anyways.

8. CYBERPUNK

yes true druids get the same life per vit as necros and sorcs, but with WW and oak, it makes bigger diff with shifters, not so much windys/elems

but still the basic gist is, its not a HUGE deal either way; the str does add dmg and options, while the vit adds a couple hundred more life total after all bonuses are figured in

9. BAMFSpecialOps

IMO its smart to place your stats so you can easily swap around gear, and not be stuck to one or two armors. The few hundred life lost<versatility.

Btw-jj=junk jewels used for crafting

10. BAMFSpecialOps

Stupid dial up...sry for double post

11. CYBERPUNK

yeah im way ahead of ya BAMF =P

i think i figured out JJs later that evening =]

12. BAMFSpecialOps

Well I saw it didn't get answered so I thought I would answer it just incase, my bad.

13. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Even with Lycan and Oak the LPV isn't worth it, at most it's ~500 extra life on top of 8k already >.>.

14. CYBERPUNK

heh, relax BAMF I wasnt hammering ya =], I'm always appreciative of helpful comments, was just saying I'm pretty quick on the uptake, but I will admit it took me a few days to get most of the lingo down on these here forums but I think I'm pretty sharp about most of it now (I wouldnt go so far as to say all, of course)

and yeah Verashi, it seems like I said, it's a split issue around here whether 500-800 life or so is better or worse than the options 30-50 life give

I'm not really sweating it, I just threw it out there, I'm actually surprised that this thread hasn't sunk lower by now =P

I made myself a text file listing the minimum str reqs for most of the gear i was shooting for (156 for SS, 165 for Tomby, etc) and a list of all the possible gear that would give decent str boosts AND that I would be likely wearing (Jalals, SS itself, possible rare amy/circlet/belt, dracs, etc) (and in some of those cases WISH I could be wearing =P)

so I figure I've got it mostly laid out, its just a matter of hitting the str minimums with the minimum gear at the minimum lvl

but I would definitely NOT build around ONLY a minimum str because that would severely limit the gear options (ie building around Enigma's +Str, not to mention that it scales with lvl)

15. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

I highly advise against statting around SS's strength req due to str bug. Otherwise you should be fine now ^_^.