Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

old kid lookin for old news

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Radagast, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Radagast

Radagast IncGamers Member

old kid lookin for old news

Hello again to the SP forum! It's been a good long while -- i don't recognize many of you -- but i'm glad to see the board is alive and kickin' as hard as it ever has.

Well, suprise suprise, I'm back on a Diablo binge. Other than nostalgia for my precious .08 valor and old school venom, my internet is down, which brings me here begging the wisdom of veterans with memories.

(And bah to b.net anyway. Although, I have taken a gander at the ladder runewords and I must say -- where's the petition to make them SP-available and where do I sign?!)

Anyway, I've reinstalled (yet again) the expansion and decided to bust my head against .07 for a while, under the auspices of that kickin guide by Repusz -- thank you a thousand times friend. But having spent my first few patches online, I've still got a few questions concerning the days of yore, namely:

1) How do I simulate the /players x command? I believe Repusz gives a nod to ATMA, but how precisely does one simulate a multi-player game without multiplayer capabilities (i'm having really **** luck with my motherboard(s) right now... it's a sensitive subject). I'll be honest, I'm in the dark on the workings of ATMA. If it's as simple as activating all the characters in the program, toss a word (or slap) and i'll be happy.

2)"NOTE: according to the patch.txt file in v1.07 WW doesn't alternate between 2 weapons when using two-weapon style!" Well, i've got a sorcy sitting at the last seal to diablo with a wet diaper (once a HC-aholic, always a HC-aholic... *sigh*) and vying for next on the list are a barb and venomsin. But it's the mechanics of the Barb that are making me wonder -- any .07 barb gurus around? I'm thinking frenzy/WW for ****s and giggles, but the above quote makes me wonder. Does the exclamation mean that you only have to worry about teh damage on the main weapon, and the other can be a convenient skills, buffing weapon? Or does it mean to say that you lose out on the 50% more attacks bonus (did i get that right?) What's kickin with WW, and any .07 thoughts on a frenzied gale would be appreciated a thousand times over.

Anyway, here's to the good old days :drink:

Cheers SP!

Radagast

ps - where the devil has that ent-avatar shambled off too?!

2. corax

corax IncGamers Member

welcome back

1. for the players x command. what version are you using? in 1.10 its /players x but before that it was just players x

3. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

And in 1.07 it wasn't an option at all . . . Players 1 only, right?

4. corax

corax IncGamers Member

to tell you truth now that i think about it i dont think it does.

5. LowLander

LowLander IncGamers Member

Welcome back, Radagast.

That is a wonderful sentence.

And, indeedy, no players x in 1.07. Slug it out at players 1, I'm afraid, or, if you're on a LAN, have other characters join. Or, if your PC can handle it, get the multiplayer DLL, and run multiple instances, and have them join, but seeing you have mobo problems.....

6. Radagast

Radagast IncGamers Member

Gettin my funny notions out of Repusz's .07 guide:

"- There is no "players x" command, so you cannot increase the XP you get from monsters. The only way to get more XP requires either a home LAN or a good PC. The trick is easy enough: you host a game with your char, then join with another one to this game and team up with him/her. To do this on one PC, you need the modified d2gfx.dll self-muling file: it works with all the versions of the D2X."

And low, yeah, can't even set up a lan game. Nix that guys, but sooner or later i'll beat that mobo into submission, and when i do... watch out mp thread!

On aside, it just occured to me... WW attacks are half-dependent on r/w speed, no? Perahaps i'll leave it at an .07 frenzy/beserker...

Anyway, thanks for the prompt replies. I'm taking off for the night (library computer). Cheers guys.

Radagast

7. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

Howdy. No players X in 1.07.

As for WW and the weapon check, I took it to mean damage was dealt as if from your primary weapon, and patted my barb with a cruel naga in one hand and an axe +2 Barb skills/9% mana leech in the other hand. Ultimately, though, he uses a cruel ancient axe for killing cows/council.

Conventional wisdom, however, is to use a lance. Any one you find will get 4 sockets and if you can find 4 shaels (that will be a lot harder than it sounds) then viola!

Also have a mace frenzier. In retrospect, swords would have been a much better choice since none of the vendors sell useful maces at high levels.

Overall, given that you will finish at a fairly low level, it might be a good idea to stick with one skill or the other since points will be at a premium.

Have fun!

8. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Maybe my brain is totally fuddled...but 1.07 was LOD right...If that's the case a lance would be a very crappy weapon. Better get one of the elite weapons, polearms look nice..I also think that whirlwind took into account weapon speed so something a bit faster would be nice.

9. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Welcome back, and don't forget to collect those nice 1.07 eth items. Anything (base item only) 1.07 eth is good. and the sweet 1.07 EU. :thumbsup:

10. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

I don't know much about 1.07 either, but I do know that DnT does, so eventually I think that elite weapons couldn't spawn in 1.07, or atleast not war pikes.

Another theory is that he has been playing too much D2c lately :)

11. corax

corax IncGamers Member

elites can spawn as thats where u get uber grandfathers of vita :D

I think DNT could be refering to classic as im fairly certain 1.07 was the downfall of lance WW barbs

12. tweety

tweety IncGamers Member

Elites can spawn in 1.07, but the damage is bugged, its about the same as for the exceptional weapons, but with much higher requirements.

And those Corpse Spitters keep eating your merc, very anoying. :rant:

13. SideShowBob

SideShowBob IncGamers Member

That's not so bad since Dangoon's Teaching falls so regularly from racks.
    You could do what Sincere did and rack a Baranar's Star for a big Vitality
    boost. Go go 1.07 Vita items! :lol:

14. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

Tweety is partially right...Some elites can spawn but not all of them...except for rack running. My brain was a bit fuddled, before but now I remember more clearly. This is from the 1.07 guide.

"You may have already heard about that in v1.07 no items from over TC 66 can drop. Unfortunatelly, this is true: Bliz simply haven't finished the TC system for v1.07 and stopped somewhere near qlvl 66-67 items. "

I'm very sure that War Pikes are above TC 66, but it doesn't really matter since elite weapons are crap as Tweety said..so a lance is probably the best bet, unless you can run some racks and get a Grandfather or something.

15. tweety

tweety IncGamers Member

You can buy elite weapons from vendors, but they won't help you a lot.

16. SideShowBob

SideShowBob IncGamers Member

War Pikes can be shopped from Larzuk just like in 1.09 except Lances are
    far more reasonable for stats with similar damage. You can even rack blue
    War Pikes in Lower Kurast if it strikes your fancy. On the other hand, I can
    tell you that CB racks are quite uncommon and qlvl prevents GF drops in
    LK. It can be racked in Nihly's Temple - that's where my own 1.07 GF
    dropped from a rack about 2 years ago. The life boost and great damage
    in 1.07 play makes it worth the work to find the rack and run it.

17. Disco-neck Ted

Disco-neck Ted The Dark Library

Dangoon's was actually the end-game weapon I had in mind, but the damage is still low compared to, say, Sazabi's sword. ;) I like the idea of that frost nova going off constantlly, too.

Thanks for having faith, Corrupted. The damage on elite weapons is indeed bugged, as the guide points out:

- A change from v1.07 -> v1.08: "Adjusted damages for all Elite weapons."
    Heh, this is nice...In 1.07, it is amazing how underpowered the elite items, especially the weapons are. A typical example:
    The damage of the Colossus Blades is 17-107, less than that of the Executioner Swords ( 47-80 ), but the CBs have a base clvl req of 73!!!
    The probably only elite item type with the same damage as in 1.09 is the Hydra Bow. So, I must say that in v1.07, elite items are useless junk with outrageous clvl reqs. Luckily, once you upgrade a char to v1.09, the stats of the elite items are adjusted in accordance to the v1.09 stats.

Getting a cruel war pike will be some trick, and if you do, it won't be all that helpful, so lance is the way to go if you want to get through the game. There is a big upside to crafting a nice war pike, however, in that it would be worth taking into later patches, where the damage will return to "normal".

Oh, and I said a magic lance WILL get 4 sockets from the quest, but what I meant was that it MAY get 4. Random thing.

Enjoy yourself. There are a few nuts like SSB and myself who like the challenges of 1.07.