Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Old Heroes vs. New Heroes

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Grug, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Grug

Grug Diabloii.Net Member

Old Heroes vs. New Heroes

Someone here mentioned that the Assassins in D2 exist to hunt down rogue mages, and one might have been sent after our dear Wizard. That got me thinking. We already know that each class gets its own special quests. What if each class had a quest to face off against a hero from D2? Of course, each D2 hero will have been corrupted or twisted some how, so they are truly bad-guys. Here's how I see the match-up.

Wizard vs. Assassin. Wizard is a rogue mage, Assassins hunt rogue mages. Inevitable battle. The assassin wants the one big bounty, and/or loves to inflict pain on others, a habit learned when traveling through hell.

Witch Doctor vs. Paladin: The Paladin had decayed from a noble knight to an angry Zealot. The Zakarum had always been intolerant of other religions, and Paladin would love to slaughter a heretic like the Witch Doctor.

Barbarian Vs. Druid: When the world stone was destroyed, the ripple was felt all throughout sanctuary. Nature responded. Everywhere plants are dying and creatures are becoming feral. The Druid wants revenge on the Barbarian for failing to protect the world stone. He had become as angry as the animals.

I forsee that the Necromancer will be dead from old age, so he can't fight the new heroes. Of course, this also means that he might be brought back as some sort of undead creature later. That leaves Sorceress and Amazon for the last two classes. I predict the Sorceress will go after the Bow class, and the Amazon will go after the remaining one. It wouldn't be interesting if it were Bow vs. Bow. Once I know the last two classes, I could think of better reasons.

2. Bladewind

Bladewind Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Old Heroes vs. New Heroes

Errr it was specifically stated the Paladin left the Zakarum because he felt they were not right in the first place.

"In the midst of this bloody crusade, a rebellion arose within the ranks of the Paladins of Zakarum. The rebels condemned the methods of the Inquisition, proclaiming that the new Order of Paladins should protect the innocent, and that the evil corruption was rooted in their forebear's failure. They resolved to fight the true source of corruption, the Three Prime Evils - Diablo, Baal and Mephisto. And so, these rebellious Paladins left their Zakarum brethren and ventured west.

I don't see how a man who choose to walk away from the crazed fanaticism and corruption of his brethren (the d2 paladin already knew Zakarum was corrupted by the Prime Evils) would go back to their fold.

As for Druids vs Barbarians it is unlikely they will be fighting given the Druid extremely strong beliefs in defending nature as a whole. Unlike the Barbarians, they don't see their sacred charge in Mount Arreat only this is clearly indicated in their bio as well.

"vowing not to return to the Steppes of Mt. Arreat until the time of the Uileloscadh Mór, the final battle between the men of the world and the demons of the Burning Hells. "

So chances are rare the druid will be clashing with the barb, but rather clashing with demons.

But I agree, the Assassins and Wizards are both inevitable.

"To further ensure that a similar tragedy could never happen again, they formed a secret order whose sole purpose was to police the mage clans, destroying corruption wherever they found it. This was the birth of the Viz-Jaq'taar, the Order of the Mage Slayers-otherwise known as the Assassins. "

The Wizard is a member of the Vizjerei and assassins are the law enforcers of the Vizjerei so I guess it is inevitable.

3. Mizantrop

Mizantrop Diabloii.Net Member

Basically I like this idea, but I don't think it's likely to happen. People are already pissed-off they can't play their favorite classes from d2, they will be even angrier if they had to fight them. It would make some players skip whole classes just because it "kills" their old chars form d2.

4. Azurak

Azurak Diabloii.Net Member

Idc Who I Have To Kill I Got My Barbb :)

5. KillaMike

KillaMike Banned

and i got my wiz ^_^

6. ZSiegfried

ZSiegfried Diabloii.Net Member

I agree... I can see us doing quests with past heroes, not fighting against them. And remember, there is a possibility that classes can return in expansions...

But I like where your head is at, Grug! Keep on throwing out these ideas... We need to keep the Lore forum going at a stage where Blizzard is leaving us dry...

OT: Who else thinks the Unburied are AWESOME looking monsters! With a cool story!!!

7. Lynchgrinch

Lynchgrinch Diabloii.Net Member

yeh i saw the unburied on saterday night at my friends, during a gamerfest :D i was totaly blown away by it. good job blizz:D

8. Tragedian

Tragedian Diabloii.Net Member

*grabs tape recorder and holds it up to mouth*

Idea for a quest: The D2 Druid needs help in order to uncorrupt a dying forest that has been overrun with demonically possessed animals. Giant demon bats, corrupted treants, zombie wolves, and bears with festering flesh and even bigger claws, etc. He fights along side you while you both make your way to the center of the forest in order to face the source of the corruption. Super awesome boss fight ensues. It would be so cool! >.<

9. nicro tower

nicro tower Diablo: IncGamers Member

Well the assassin exists to hunt down and kill corrupt mages, not necessarily rogues. The Viz-Jaq'taar might not consider the wizard a threat, and may even help her as she progresses through the story and it is made clear she is fighting against the demons.

10. Lynchgrinch

Lynchgrinch Diabloii.Net Member

i agree that the whole wizzard Vs Assasin thing could be easily turned into a decent sub plot, but what more could come of it than a sub plot? I guess it would mess up sanctary some more, considering the mess it's gonna be in already and just add to the reality and thickness of the plot, if Blizz actualy wanna concentrate on lore this time :D

11. Popeye

Popeye Diabloii.Net Member

I think it will be dificult to add to the plot an assassin hunting a noble wizard, but it will be a great and funny random quest.

12. Grug

Grug Diabloii.Net Member

"noble"? Hardly. It even said in Abd Al-Hazir's journal that the Wizard beat her master through Trickery.

13. teh_Thrasher

teh_Thrasher Diabloii.Net Member

indeed, it did say that about the female wizard... but what about the male one?

i liked the idea btw ;)

14. paulblasi4

paulblasi4 Diabloii.Net Member

I just want my Necromancer back... still think they should make the necromancers from the book playable characters... Zayl and Kara...

But yeah this would be fun... I don't think they should ALL be corrupt. I mean... come on. All of them? None of them beat the prime evils and lived happily ever after??

15. Popeye

Popeye Diabloii.Net Member

Come on! from the writings of Abd Al-Hazir (I think) it's clear that she's mad to all those boring male mages. When I said "noble" I meant that it's obvious that she is on the good side.

16. Grug

Grug Diabloii.Net Member

@paul Blasi

Of course not. Sure, they beat the primes, but they certainly didn't live happily ever after. When have things ever gotten better in Diablo?

17. mouseman

mouseman Diabloii.Net Member

Killing Blood Raven (D1 rogue) or Summoner (D1 mage) didn't stop people from playing Diablo II :) I think that corrupted versions of the previous characters are a great way of paying homage, making the lore coherent and giving something for the players who have played the previous games. Of course it wouldn't be like your barbarian, but rather a stereotype of a corrupted barbarian.

18. Grug

Grug Diabloii.Net Member

I'm sure there will be corrupted barbarian enemies. Abd Al-Hazir all but confirmed as such. But we won't be fighting THE Barbarian, no matter your class or gender.

19. Killafornia

Killafornia Diabloii.Net Member

You can't really deny this as a possible scenario. In d2 diablo came back through the dark wanderer which we all know was the hero from d1.

20. Mizantrop

Mizantrop Diabloii.Net Member

True. But you must also consider that D1 classes didn't get as much fanboyism as D2 classes (aka bIg bAk nEcrO lololol). People way more involved with their D2 chars than their D1 ones. Also this suggestion is not to bring them back as a total demonic bosses, but as "broken" heroes (power hungry necro, over zealous assassin etc).