Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Old dog needs new tricks

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Ash Housewares, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

Old dog needs new tricks

ok, I had a fun C/C DC assassin back in .09 that I spent most of my wealth on and now she is horribly outdated and I want to make use of her good gear and get back into MA sin pvp fun

I've perused the guides, but there are a ton of them, so I'm gonna tell you what I'm used to and maybe you can point to 1 or 2 particular guides that might work for me and then I can read them and come back with more detailed questions

my old sin used 2x eth zod'd tucs and had some nice 6%LL +2MA gloves, was designed to max DC, WB, CM, and threw the rest into MB & BoS, had 75%DR w/o shield which does me alot of good now :( I'm also unclear on MB affect in pvp and what WB works against, but I can read up on that right now

so far I'm thinking something along the lines of DC+Venom, but I am also interested in exploring kicks although wary of going away from the strength of my claws. I'm also interested in some of the blade traps that would make use of my good old tucs, I'd like to use DC but I'm not stuck on it, I'm open to suggestions, and am willing to try a kick hybrid but not a pure kicker since it seems a waste of my claws, thanks for any pointers or directions you can give me.

edit: I'm stupid, would want to use this in pvp

2. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

:cheesy: If you want something :cheesy: go with maxed Cobra Strike, Phsyic Hammer and Shadow Warrior...let the hilarity ensue :cheesy:

:cheesy:

3. Ash Housewares

please don't spam

I suppose I will just start and max WB & CM first and experiment with some things, now to come up with a good name...

4. memememe173

You telling some one not to spam is funny...and I was serious...it would be so funny to watch...

5. xlodtraderx

xlodtraderx IncGamers Member

sup ash...im not a newbie or a veteren to assassins...but i know a few things from experience and reading..

First, theres basically 3 types of MA sins...

1.) C/C, C/S Ww sin. These types of sins use the new Chaos runeword which grants +1 to ww and adds magic dmg. Bascially the main idea is to ww like a barb....personally for me, i dont recommend this build...its not that much fun and not that effective. And based on ur style of playing...i dont think you'd like it either.

2.) New build...c/c, c/s kicker. There are 2 kicker guides...anit mage and just the overall kicker. If you wanted to make a kicker, go with the overall kicker guide (not stickied by itself, but stickied under guides). These types of MA sins dont use any other martial arts skills except dragon talon (main attack). The highlight of these sins come from the incredible fast attacks that the kicks deliver and you can hit up to 7 times with 1 click. Some dmg such as venom and magic dmg gets transferred to the kick, some dont. Over all...this type of sin is pretty fun and effective. Takes some strategy as well...you might want to try this one ^^.

3.) TS / Dragon claw sin. There isnt a guide on this...but basically its a clasic martial arts sin. The strategy is to be very survivable (max block, frw, fhr, life, risists etc.) And using the Mb + WoF stunlock combo and just kill them the .09 way. Charge up TS and release. In .09 my Ts / Dragon claw sin did VERY VERY well and hardly ever lost against any build. I'd recommend this build too (probably the most to your liking)

Skills would probably look like this....
    20 ts
    20 dragon claw
    1 dragon flight
    1 shadow master
    1-20 weapon block
    15 mb
    1 WoF
    15 venom
    rest claw mastery

Hope i've been helpful...

6. memememe173

I think there is something like a DFlight/BShield, revolving around OW, speed and possibly Venom

Don't know exactly

7. Ash Housewares

#3 is basically my existing assassin, minus the venom, but I was never too keen on using ts in duels, or any charge up, so I just used dragon claw on its own

good to know WoF +MB is still effective, here is what I'm starting to consider, a c/c kick hybrid

20 dragon claw
    20 dragon talon
    20 weapon block
    20 venom
    1 dragon flight
    1 WoF
    1 mindblast
    1 shadow master
    1-16 claw mastery

if I put 1 to each blade skill I should get everything by lvl84 and then I can put any points after that into claw mastery, thoughts?

I will have to read some of the kicker guides to get a sense for them

edit: now that I'm thinking, talon doesn't seem to useful, would tail or flight be more useful by providing fire or adding a ranged attack?

8. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

What's wrong with DTalon?

To answer your question: DTail is useless in PvP, as you can usually execute a claw attack when you're close to your opponent for more damage, as DTail gets resisted twice(first by PDR, then by Fire resist. Eg. You do 1000 base Kick damage, and DTail gives a +200% ED Fire AoE, and your opponent has 50% PDR and 50% Fire Resist. The actual damage of the +200% Fire AoE is based on the Physical damage you do, which would be 500, with 50% PDR. Then, it would be multiplied by DTail's ED bonus = 1500 damage Fire AoE. However, due to your opponent's Fire Resist, it would be reduced to 750. So, all in all, you'd do 500 + 750 = 1250 total DTail damage, versus the 4000 if your opponent had no resists).

DF I'm not too sure about. To my very limited knowledge, though DF serves more as a 1-point wonder to get you close to your opponent, and not to actually cause real damage.

EDIT: Typo

9. Ash Housewares

nice and informative as I would expect, thanks

as for whats wrong with talon, nothing, I just don't know how it would really compliment my C/C dragon claw build to have it, I already have a melee attack in DC and talon would only take away from points that could strengthen my claw mastery, it doesn't seem necessary to have that additional melee skill

10. Vindictive

Vindictive IncGamers Member

Most kickers at the moment are using DTalon as there main attack because it is so fast, fastest attack in the game i think at 2 frames for each kick after the first kick. My kicker uses max DTalon (love it, speed is insane!), venom, wb, maxing dflight at the moment. The problem is with dflight is that it is quite hard to hit in comparison to dtalon. So i normally flight while they are running if i hit lucky me, unlucky them, then talon away and with venom and the 5+ kicks, they die fast.
    Kickers are a fun build, i would recommend using talon over tail for PvP.

v1nd1

11. Ash Housewares

yea, I'm hearing that, talon is a great skill, for a kicker, but I'm building off my 2 eth tucs and I was just looking for a backup skill, I'd rather have more strength to my claws is all, I will have to ponder what to do with any remaining skill points, I hear the blade skills perform rather poorly in pvp

12. Pent

Pent IncGamers Member

you could always be the first one to make a sucessful blade skill pvp assassin ;P

I could actually see sentry or blade shield doing ok

13. Vindictive

Vindictive IncGamers Member

in pvp now its fast, and the reason noone plays with clawskills is you got no time to charge up (or chance) and let 'em lose. Cause by the time you have had those three hits your dead. imo that is, others might find pvp easier (with assa).

v1nd1

14. Ash Housewares

I don't charge, I just hit with dragon claw

15. Kodachi_ysaane

Kodachi_ysaane Banned

dragon claw is dead, blizz nerfed it so its interuptable. Now c/c asns block at 5 frames, so melee you wont stand a chance at all.

16. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

As if that wasn't bad enough, Blizzard has fixed the 100% Critical Strike and AR/Damage switching bugs in 1.10, so you're effectively doing less than half the damage you did in 1.09(unless you can get close to 100% Deadly Strike on equipment).

17. Ash Housewares

sounds like my world is dead and buried, guess I'll just hang up the claws and walk off into the sunset

18. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Oh the irony...... :buddies:

19. memememe173

stop spamming :cheesy: