Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

ok ... whats up with these strats?

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by Bakerking31, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Bakerking31

Bakerking31 IncGamers Member

ok ... whats up with these strats?

ive been looking at some of the strats, and reading the forums for the last 2 weeks or so and i dont get why some of you (most of you) do some of this ... please explain to me some of this

first, why strafe? with all my experiences with it, it has sucked, i have always used multi, even though the dmg is lower, for larger groups it takes em out quicker.

second, whats up with the vit? ive been seeing people saying to get vit to 300!! for PvM?

This is my setup for my hybrid zon, i can solo all of hell with no prob with her

lvl 83

str: 100 ... about ... with items it goes to jus under 200
    dex: 300 ... with items it goes to 400
    vit: base
    energy: base

Gear:
    Helm: um'd 6/7/20 vamp
    ammy: highlords
    armor: chains of honor
    boots: Gores
    belt: T-Gods
    gloves: Steelrend (45%)
    ring1 : carrion wind (8%)
    ring2 : 19/230 raven
    weapon1: Windforce (shael'd)
    weapon2: 199% titans
    shield: SS (P Diamond)

all resists are maxed at 75 and light at 85
    Maxed GA, LF, valk
    few points in passives, and few in FA
    Like i said .. she can solo hell wiht no prob ... her multi dmg is around 2200 max, and 3k with my merc
    any input on why ppl need 300 vit for a zon, and why strafe would be better would be appreciated

2. Ruick

Ruick IncGamers Member

I'm with you too, i pumped alot of dex and i believe in multi>strafe also. One thing though, is valk is a huge help - she tanks while you spray off all your arrows for a long amount of time, that plus you have real nice gear means hell is easier for you then for other people.

3. Blazzer

Blazzer IncGamers Member

Again

bump bump bump

4. Origin

Origin IncGamers Member

you actually play the game through with base vit?
    or do you rush your character to leech in hell and then twink her with godly itamz?

5. Red-Dog

Red-Dog IncGamers Member

I have basically the same Zon as you, but with maxed strafe. I would ask you.. why GA? Strafe >>> GA for a single target (no more pierce w/ GA), and it works great for small groups. You have LF for crowd control, and I've never seen more than 5 or 6 lightning immunes on the screen at once, so strafe is great for them. For PVM, you don't need GA and you definately don't need both LF and Multi.

6. slayer37

slayer37 IncGamers Member

1. Well, the choice between strafe and multi has long been debated and it always end up on preference. I am one of those who advocate strafe because of its versatility and fixed mana cost. Strafe can be used for single targets as well as small groups while multi is only for carpet bombing. Also, leeching is penalized in hell and so mana becomes a problem for multi unlike strafe which I use to fill up my mana orb after volleys of FA.

2. I agree that 300 is overkill for vitality. I normally boost it up to 100 and stop there. Prudence makes up for low life but IMO base life is really dangerous. But since you have godly gear and I assume you are a careful player, I believe your zon doesn't need more vit. Those who read the strats here are those average players with average gear. Of course, why would experienced players with godly gear want to consult with strat guides? They don't usually need it. Since those who do consult it are on the average level, the strats should make allowances for those with poor skill and/or gear.

7. Bakerking31

Bakerking31 IncGamers Member

i dont rush to hell and leach till i can use my godly items, i actually played the game through with base vit, and i have only died a hand full of times (about 5).

I maxed GA because i can run around a boss and shoot in his general direction and still get a hit, its a HUGE help against a boss like uber D, and the ancients to be able to run around them and shoot 2 shots then keep running, and not have to aim the shots.

Since i do all acts so i dont get bord of the game, i have both multi and LF, becuse in alot of places there will be alot of lightning immune monsters, and its easy to multi them a few times and they all drop

8. GhostStealer

GhostStealer IncGamers Member

My vit is near 300 because I always got a huge problem with lag ( I use 56k modem ). When fighting with monster suddenly it lags. If not for my high D/E/A skill and hp I would die a lot of times.

9. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

Strafe and multi each have their strengths and weaknesses, and which one to use ultimately depends on personal preference.

Points for Strafe
    • More versatile. It will take down groups, crowds and single monsters, because of the new minimum number of missiles. Best for smaller groups (2-10) and crowds in lines, though.
    • Cheaper, manawise. MS becomes more and more mana draining, Strafe is always 9 mana per shot.
    • Auto targeting beyond the visible screen. This means for instance that you can fire a Strafe shot, and if you shoot more than one arrow, there will be monsters nearby, and you can Strafe them to death while not even seeing them on your screen.

Points for MS
    • More damage to crowds
    • Easier to use, as you can cover half the screen with arrows.

As cows are now less popular, the biggest attraction of MS is now less alluring - the rest of the game features groups much more often than crowds. That together with the mentioned minimum arrows explains Strafe's popularity in the new patch.

300 in vit is over the top imo, but base vit is too risky, especially if you play hard core. Even in sc most people just enjoy playing more when they don't have to die too often. With very high end equipment, there's no doubt you can make it with base vit, but then again with very high end equipment, you can pretty much do whatever you want and don't need to think too much about your build.

Well, congratulations on your expensive setup. Your build would have to be more than a little screwed up to have problems soloing in that outfit.

10. slayer37

slayer37 IncGamers Member

If memory serves me right, strafe's mana cost is 11. It was 9 on V1.09. :)

11. sasja

sasja IncGamers Member

You're perfectly right :)

12. Glacial Trail

Glacial Trail IncGamers Member

It's a HC strat. It may be overboard, but that's the point of HC (haven't lost a char yet).