Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ok to shoot feral or stray cats?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dirty_Zulu, Mar 16, 2005.

?

Take something from the trash?

1. For a chance to win a car? Hell yeah!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Ewwww, you're just sick.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Only if Durf's in there sporting boobies... (poing!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu Diabloii.Net Member

Ok to shoot feral or stray cats?

This guy thinks so

A city around here will find the owner responsible if their cat kills an endangered bird. Feral cats around the local wetlands are killing some of the migratory birds and invading their nests. It's about time to reduce their populations. Not to mention cats also breed too much too fast.

2. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

In Missouri you can shoot any non-native animal under 40lbs as long as it isn't endangered. Oh yeah and if you have an adequate firearm you are required to feral pig.

I've been reading the state hunting manuel. =)

3. Matt

Matt Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Gotta keep in mind though, MOST animals under 40 pounds, which are the ones Kow says are legal to shoot, dont have an alternative. Cats can be brought to the local humane society if they're homeless. If there were a "save the raccoon's" shelter or something, then I'd say the right thing to do is not to shoot it, but to bring this poor homeless raccoon to the "save the raccoons" shelter.

Since there is almost always an alternative for dealing with a stray cat, I'd say shooting them is not the best thing, and shouldnt be allowed.

-Matt

4. Mecal

Mecal Diabloii.Net Member

i agree matt.

do those people there have nothing better to do?
    if you see a cat on your lawn... you dont bother it, or scare it away... geez no need to kill it - and what do you do with the body anyways?

5. Moosashi

Moosashi Diabloii.Net Member

The cats aren't killed for fun. They are a scourge to native wildlife, scaring it away won't change that.

The cats should die, but I'm not sure shooting them whenever you see one is such a good idea. It could be someone's pet, it could be a bobcat or depending on where you are a lynx (hunters have been known to make mistakes from time to time). Trap it and have it euthenized.

6. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak Diabloii.Net Member

Uh, is my firearm adequate to feral pig? :)

Garbad

7. Dirty_Zulu

Dirty_Zulu Diabloii.Net Member

I used to know a Vietnamese lady who'd make stew out of it.

You can't take all stray cats to the shelter and hope to turn them domestic. Cats are ultra stubborn biatches. I know, I've had bunch in my life. Some ferals make bad company. Some just deserve to be shot. Some just get euthanized at the shelter.

I used to take care of a feral that somehow adopted me. Came in my backyard by the bird feeders and never left. Ate the food I provided and for fun he killed just about all the Song birds in the area.

8. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

yes! you can also catch rabbits with traps if you want.

Our neighbors did let 2 rabbits loose once, and since rabbits reproduce themselves at amazing speed, we had no choice than to trap them. We got one! :D

9. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

It says "RECOMMENDED: 12 gauge shotgun with 'Magnum' slugs or high powered deer rifle. Place three to five slugs into the chest, avoid the skull which absorbs the impact. If a rifle must be used aim one(1) inch below the ear."

I don't think I want to shoot at something that can take a 12 gauge slug to the head and not die. One of the guys my dad works with hunted them and said you're crazy if you don't use a deer stand. Apples and peanut butter are excellent options for bait too.

10. cotton

cotton Diabloii.Net Member

I read this post to be mainly about feral cats rather than strays, although it wouldn't change my answer. Feral cats are completely wild and could never be suitable for adoption. Is it more humane to try and collect the vicious varmint, endangering you and it, and haul it to the pound, or to put a bullet through it? I think most people think of feral cats as those that hang around outside of restaurants and purr when Mario brings out the leftover meatballs. There may be some of these semi-strays cities, but feral cats are completely wild, carry disease, and kill (cats are one of the only species on the planet that does this) anything they can whether they are going to eat it or not. They also breed very quickly and have adapted to live near humans. Perhaps it is not fair to the animal--it was irresponsible pet owners who originally caused the problem--but the only solution is to eliminate them.

11. CyberHawk

CyberHawk Diabloii.Net Member

ya, a stray cat is pretty much a dead cat around here. My neighbor shoots them with .22 cal. most times. My brother hates stray cats and has prob killed 10-15 in the last 3 yrs. Tho I dont shoot them, unless they get on the vehicles, but rather get the dog on them. He doesnt try to kill'em, he just likes to chase/jump on kinda deal...they freak out and run like hell.
    But ya I dont really care for anything that is stray as far as cat/dog.

12. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris Diabloii.Net Member

If they are harming the area (i.e. enangering other birds, etc.), then they should be removed, but humanely. I'm not entirely certain that shooting them is a humane method for removal when there are quite a few other forms of traps that can be used to snare them and then have them euthenized at the pound.

13. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares Diabloii.Net Member

people are too damned stupid to be given permission to shoot anything, they'd just shoot every cat they could find and try to explain them all away as feral, omg feral persian cat with jeweled collar!! *bang*

14. rplusplus

rplusplus Diabloii.Net Member

We had a feral cat problem once. I spent an entire summer catching them in cat traps and then taking them to get fixed (in San Diego there is a program to get free fixin for strays) and then they notch the ear and I release em back into the area. As long as they are fixed they don't keep having new litters. Most of the cute ones got adopted by local families and the ugly mean nasty ones still roam around and put little kitty prints on the hood of my car when they climb up for a nice toasty place to sit on a cold day. There is one that has such a bad attitude he just sleeps in the middle of the road cause he knows he owns it.

R++

15. DurfBarian

DurfBarian Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like you need to feral pig him. Assuming your firearms are adequate.

16. rplusplus

rplusplus Diabloii.Net Member

Shooting this cat would just piss him off.

R++

17. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

Stupid animals... this is our planet!

18. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares Diabloii.Net Member

candy-gram

19. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng Diabloii.Net Member

This is not a valid question. The answer is pretty obvious :rolleyes:

20. DrunkCajun

DrunkCajun Banned

Kinda have to agree with Ash--too many sons of *****es out there would take it upon themselves to take out every cat in sight. My grandmother has 6 cats and one day discovered she had 4 because two of them jumped the backyard fence and he took target practice. Needless to say he got a hefty fine, and they don't hold block parties anymore.

How about this--for all of you saying you should shoot all the cats you see (and while you can sometimes tell a stray, not all the time--a longhair in a rainstorm looks about as stray as you get), how about this, make it legal to shoot dogs on sight too if they're not leashed to a person. That way us cat people could have target practice too. Besides, unlike cats, dogs can actually hurt people (OMG rare birds are getting killed!1!! How about people?)