Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OK, starting out, what do people reccomend?

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Von Lazuli, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

OK, starting out, what do people reccomend?

Hey, I am new here, and new to online Diablo 2 as a whole (in fact I created my first Realms character about 10 minutes ago), however I have been playing single player for about 6 months. After finally getting broadband yesterday I can now play online.

So my question is this, with no gear, nothing, what should I make?
    A frostadin or a tesladin or something else entirely?

Lazuli

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Paladins aren't the easiest chars to start out with if you have no equip.
    Generally, the easiest are skelliemancers, blizzardsorcs and meteorb sorcs. Guides can be found in class specific forums.
    If going paladin anyway, I'd suggest building a hammerdin, since they can be quite effective even with cheap/no gear compared to other builds.
    Of course, both tesladin/frostzealot are funnier, so if you want a challenge, I will not blame you ;)

3. Von Lazuli

They seemed like a good option as they seem to only be skill dependent and merely require a fast weapon, surely a base -10 or more with a couple of shaels should be fast enough... Plus, that is hardly unattainable...

Lazuli

4. Bert

Bert IncGamers Member

Believe me, there is no such thing as an item independent paladin, and you will get frustrated once u hit hell with a frost zealot because of the cold imunes.

You will become something like a HF merc for the party you play with :confused:

Bert

5. St_Vitruvius

St_Vitruvius IncGamers Member

If you start out with a Hammerdin I'd recommend getting Spirit in both a Shield and in a sword. That should give you some mana and faster cast. Pick up any uniques and rares you can find and use them till you get anything better. Esp. resistance is something to look for. (Same goes for a sorcerer or necromancer with Bone Spear). A way to quickly get items is to join games where people are giving away lowlevel-items for free.

When choosing a character, check-out the different quides on different styles. It helps when you're new to the game.. Remember that the first couple of chars will probably be useless! at hell because of some wrong skill-choises. That's perfectly normal ;). My first paladin is now useless.. as is my sorc.. Te most important thing is that you find a char you like and a style of play too.

When you start out try to gain lvl 5 as fast as possible. Then go join what's called "trist-runs": Games whose only purpose is for lowlevel chars to go to Tristram and gain xp and when it's done, you join the next. At roughly lvl. 15 you join "Tombruns", which are basically the same, just in the tombs of Act II. At lvl 18-20 you join "cowruns" untill lvl 28-30. After that, it's "Baalruns" all the way.. That's what I do and I can get a new char t lvl 75-80 in three days.

What realm are you playing at?

\St_Vitruvius

6. Von Lazuli

I was just running with a party and I am at level 12 at the moment I think. I still am not sure what to go, although I probably will end up frostadin... Maybe hopeless for hell, but I hope that I will have someone else in the party for dealing with cold immunes.

I have just started on West, SC, ladder

7. St_Vitruvius

St_Vitruvius IncGamers Member

ok.. just wanted to know if I could be of any help.. I'm on Europe, so I can't..

\St_Vitruvius

8. Von Lazuli

OK... interesting first experience of Battlenet...

First game, just a run with a party through act 1. Andy wasn't there... Gone! But all the monsters usually around her were there, strange.

Next, entered a Kill Andy type game, too late...

Then I entered a game and did andy, left when we entered act 2.

Joined a game called 'Act2 level up'. Ran with them for a while, went back to town at a convienient time, watched three of them get pk'ed... Then continued leveling with them. Now level 15, total of about an hours play.

Lazuli

Strangely I was running with some rare classes, a fire bowazon and a dentist...

9. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

If you play hell mostly solo or with a decent team cold immunes aren't really a problem for a Holy XXX, zeal delivered CB and merc will take of most immunes when solo, and in multiplay your team will dispose of them quick while under the influence of your auras (a single point into conviction/meditate -unless of course their mercs got it, grr- etc would make your teamies love you).

10. HeavAngel

HeavAngel Paladin Moderator

Welcome to the forum.

Here's our GUIDE THREAD. You might find something in there you'll like.

See the search tool up top>?
    Type in any other words and search the forum for threads for what you're looking for. Also, a helpful way to make a decision on what you would like to try for your Pally.

11. Pelion

Pelion IncGamers Member

i think holy freeze + zeal makes for a great character who can solo pretty much all of hell with cheap equipment.

As long aas you get plenty of crushing blow there isnt alot to slow you down.

My first ladder character was a frost zealot who made it all the way to hell diablo solo then i got bored and started baal runs :)

im just returning after a loooong break and ive started a new one on hardcore ladder. so far hes not running into too many problems so id say if you like melee characters then paladins are do-able without too much in the way of equipment

12. TheAlfheim

TheAlfheim IncGamers Member

Howdy,

I'm on West. If you need help/rushes/gear, let me know.

*thealfheim or *vodalf

Cheers,
    TheAlfheim