Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ok...sometimes I can understand the gripes a little bit if

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Lord Chaos, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Lord Chaos

Lord Chaos IncGamers Member

Ok...sometimes I can understand the gripes a little bit

Ok, so I decided to try out a whirlwind barb after having done so many casters...and...

Whoa, thats one major change...while my necro and sorceresses can bulldoze even hell, this character is majorly item dependant and is completely weak in Hell Mode...heck I tried to do act 3 Hell with him, 1 player...and ended up having to run from getting the first piece of the flail simply because they killed me too fast and I did little damage on them.

I only have half sucky equipment like Arreits face, duriels shell and the like...and I only do some 900-1500 damage per whirl :( and my hp (with WCs) is about 2K. And my poor hireling can't do anything either and dies in a few hits despite 2K hp, damage absorb and max resistances.

Still, I expected difficoulty, not to get my arse handed to me so early, hehehehehe...I am beginning to understand the gripes people have, necros, hammerdins and sorceresses have it sooooo easy...I am spoiled.

Just a little rant. :)

2. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Indeed it seems to be a problem in 1.10. Melee characters need extermely good gear to do ok. And that's just ok. I've made a succesfull melee assassin and paladin, but to say they shine. Not really. They survive and kill but that's about it.

3. Lord Chaos

Maybe better balance between who's incredible gear dependant and who isn't.

I can see how it would be hard and discouraging for anyone starting out as a melee character in this game (the melee classes that have trouble, Druids for instance are *ALOT* more viable than whirlbarbs without really good equipment)

4. Daemonaz

Yes I agree. A friend of mine played a WW Barb and he had major problems killing certain monsters in hell. We're not even talking about a too bad sword. He was using a Cruel Colossal Blade. Sure it's not the top end of the spectrum but you can hardly say that's a bad sword. Anyone who uses a Cruel CB should at least do ok in hell, not just mediocre. Especially considering the fact the hammerdins with mediocre gear kill anything in hell in no time.

5. Lord Chaos

Yeah, I didn't think it was bad until I actually tried it out myself...jeez

My sorceress would have flattened the place before I could even burp...my barbarian had to run with his tail between his legs...not to mention the now much more ineffective lifesteal.

6. Daemonaz

Yes I know. After I depleted 2 sets of Gimmershreds on a Zombie boss and his pack in hell I just gave up. I mean seriously you can't expect a throwing barb to go to town every minute. That's just lame.

7. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I agree. WW is not the skill it used to be, especially with the lack of synergies and the reduced leeching. On the other hand, Barbs are still excellent characters if you use different skills. The new Concentrate builds are fantastic, though as with most tanks, good to excellent gear is strongly recommended. You don't need godly items though.

As far as trading goes -- that in and of itself is a fun aspect of the game. Just stick to the forums for your trading needs; BNet is chock full of scammers.

8. Lord Chaos

Well, as stated earlier, I don't trade...I have a little over average gear.

The other problem I don't like is that the game scales too fast and too early for this kind of melee character...Act 4+5 in Nightmare is a joke and only gives up to level 70-75....Hell mode is a TRUE nightmare.

Whirlwind really could have used a synergy...maybe a skill that adds leeching to it or something, like each 2 points in howl gives +1% life steal and each 2 points in Battle Orders give 1% mana drain or something like that.

9. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Barbs have it easy... My other chars have fear. My barb comes in and breazes through hell and solos baal in 8 player games but it gets sooo boring so i made other chars to compensate for his boringism o_O

10. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

I think there are two reasons why melee characters are so hard:

1) Leech penalties mean you need to sacrifice equipment to get leech, and even then to leech well you must have high physical damage. This makes characters such as avenger paladins very hard (as they do almost all elemental damage).

2) The difference between low end equipment and high end equipment is too great considering how hard it can be to find the good stuff. This compared to e.g. a summoner necro who feels little fear even naked.

But still, melee characters can be very powerful with good equipment. I have both a whirlwind barb and a zealot paladin who can rip through monsters with ease (except with iron maiden, and some gloam boss packs).

11. UselessOne

UselessOne IncGamers Member

I think my next project is going to be either a melee assasin or spearzon. Why have I not built them? I'm still hunting for equipment for them with my MF casters.

I still prefer melee characters over casters at least when it comes to playing them. In any event, if some boss pack that is extra fast comes charging at my characters, it seems that my current melee characters stand a better chance of survival than my casters simply due to the life leech.

12. Lord Chaos

You're being sarcastic, right?

13. Mr Evil

Mr Evil IncGamers Member

That is how it is with the right equipment. My IK barb only has to look at monsters and they fall down begging for mercy (except oblivion knights, who flip him the finger and cast IM before I can switch to berserk).

14. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

Nope not at all. My barb is just way too easy in hell games. Baal runs were way too easy, pit runs were a joke. WW here a little bezerk here it was the most boring thing ive ever done. Made a fire sorc, made a necro, made a hammerdin. Now there is a challenge to do parts of hell alone because they are all alittle vulnerable. A barb is a all around good char that can withstand almost anything.

15. tl998

tl998 Banned

Try this: Make a barb that doesn't use uniques or set items. NOW go thru hell difficulty and tell me if Barbs are too easy.

16. JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS

JEDi-MiNDTRiCKS Banned

Yeah I think it does suck but thing with barbs is you have to build up your wealth more to get better gear, and then you have a fun/pretty easy char to play. In pvp as well, most casters require no sckill, but a ww barb does, and still relies on gear alot. My barb can solo hell 8 players anywhere he wants as well, But I don't find it boring :teeth:

17. wind

wind IncGamers Member

Try that with a sorc as well. Myself being familiar with them, it won't be easy either. I would speculate that any other class would have similiar problems under the conditions mentioned.

I would also exclude rares and crafts because those can match or closely match uniques or sets as well.

18. Lord Chaos

My necro can run naked....hehehehe

19. Lord Chaos

Well, then you defintly have some über equopment.