Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ok, so this isn't the tech forum... but

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by [cK]Extreme, Mar 17, 2004.

1. [cK]Extreme

[cK]Extreme IncGamers Member

Ok, so this isn't the tech forum... but

The site doesn't have one at all :uhhuh:. Heres my situation:

Played D2 at home during break on my laptop, no problems whatsoever. Bring the laptop up to campus after break, hook it up, the game lags horrifcally. Its not the internet connection, because single player lags as well. Its the SAME laptop, wtf is going on? Only difference between both setups is that at home the laptop just sat on my desk, and here its docked on its stand. Its an Inspiron8500, if anyone knows what the deal is I would appreciate a response. The game is unplayable at this point.

2. PoopyPants

PoopyPants Banned

I'm not expert on laptops (understatement), but the only thing I can think of is it may be a heat issue or something you've changed on the laptop since you were playing it last.

3. eviljr.

eviljr. IncGamers Member

hmmm weird, i think if u go more into detail i could fix ur prob

4. [cK]Extreme

I think I pretty much covered the entire problem lol. What else do you need to know? When i start up the game initially, you can see the lag from the title screen.. the flames kind of jump around, along with the mouse pointer. :scratch:

5. eviljr.

eviljr. IncGamers Member

what environment are u playing in? well it was hot the past few days, u were probably overheating. lol aint it funny to c a 12 yr old fix computers? its true i canfix/repair/install parts i know good parts ,how to run system, aint it wierd? im among the best here along with my k00l cuzin :) ^^^_^

6. [cK]Extreme

It snowed.. and it has nothing to do with overheating, since it has only been a day inbetween playing..

7. PoopyPants

PoopyPants Banned

seriously it sounds like a heat issue with your vid card. Weather doesn't matter. What matters is how hot the card it getting inside your case.

8. Vindi66

Vindi66 Banned

Why would it be any hotter than it was when he was at home? I don't think that is the problem. Did you install or change any software since you played at home? Try defrag and virus checks and see if that helps.

9. Mack

Mack IncGamers Member

"and here its docked on its stand. "

I agree with poopy, first thing to check is the heat. If your stand blocks the fan that can overheat your machine. Take it off the dock.

10. [cK]Extreme

No no that has nothing to do with it. I play Final Fantasy XI, a much more gfx intense game, with no problems whatsoever. Already defrag'ed, and checked for virus. The problem is exclusively with d2.

11. Nemonic-X

Nemonic-X IncGamers Member

maybe your video card's fan is dusty or a connection got disrupted when you were moving laptops.

nx

12. PoopyPants

PoopyPants Banned

I would:

1. Defrag
    2. virus scan
    3. Check for unknown programs running in background.
    4. Run Adaware or something similar
    5. clean out your temp files and recycle bin
    6. update your vid card drivers (DON'T use windows update get from the card manufacturer site)
    7. Reinstall D2
    8. check and make sure your running D2 in Direct Draw
    oh i forgot: between 4 and 5 run a registry cleaner

13. eviljr.

eviljr. IncGamers Member

in thar case, i say keep the vents opento air, uninstall unessisary things,look tru all ur comp and erase all the bs, take stuff that u dont need of ur hd.... and i say reinstall d2, and do a virus scan also,let me know how this works

14. PoopyPants

PoopyPants Banned

15. Vindi66

Vindi66 Banned

Don't mind him he don't talk well. :cheesy:

16. eviljr.

eviljr. IncGamers Member

WOW!!! what did i do? remember my crappy keyboard man? i cant really type with it, and are still flaming me vindi? just stop plz!!!

17. Mack

Mack IncGamers Member

well, figure out what the differences are.

Since you were home did you add any software, install any updates, anything of that nature. Installed a different application? Any change to your system could hypothetically effect d2, even if it was just installing an upgrade to winamp.

Also,
    Take the machine out of the dock. you didn't have it there on break, so try it without it.

If nothing comes out of that, try and uninstall completely (delete the folders after running uninstall) D2 and LOD, and then reinstall.

18. eviljr.

eviljr. IncGamers Member

Try and find out what is different from the last time you played. Do what i suggested to do, clean out ur comp of all unessisary files and take useless stuff off your hard drive. Also, take it out of this dock thing ur talking about and use a power supply if ur desparate before u want to post agian. Try this...

Many of you probably noticed im typing better. Im still on a laptop but I hooked my wireless keyboard to it. :) Now get a taste of my real typing and stop the flaming about it.

-Eviljr.

19. sir goatscelot

sir goatscelot IncGamers Member

I had this problem occasionally with my PC. I never did figure it out but it does go away. Did it do the same thing after you brought it back home? Mine seemed to clear up itself the next day, then would appear again every now and then. I don't think it's going to permanent. Just like you it was slow in single and bnet. All my other games worked fine. It just seemed to be some bug in the d2 game itself.

20. eviljr.

eviljr. IncGamers Member

It could be that also, just a laptop having a bad day, and yeah Diablo 2 does have some bugs...