Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ok..now I am twirked

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by zodiac66, Feb 9, 2004.

1. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

Ok..now I am twirked

This is kind of a long story, but I will try to make it brief.

I gave birth to my daughter, Samara, in January of 2003. After many months of negotiating with my insurance company and the hospital, the total amount for our medical bills was established. To be honest, I think I spent about 5-6 hours on the phone to either the hospital and insurance company. The insurance company didn't like the way the hospital billed my charges.

All is well, I get my final bill and write a check for close to 900 bucks (this was July, but I had been making 75 dollar payments since February).

In blissful ignorance throughout the rest of 2003, I heard nothing from anyone. Two weeks ago, I received an EOB (explaination of benefits) from my insurance company telling me that I overpaid and they sent them a check in early January.

So, I called the hospital to see about getting the $150.00 that is owed to me..and I am getting the run around. First they say the check was mailed on the 3rd of February. Now, they say it is still in processing.

They now told me it will be another 4-6 weeks to get my money. So, in essence, they had my overpayment from July to March. Keep in mind, even though I was paying $75.00 a month until all this got straightened out with my insurance company, they send me to collections..I didn't pay the entire amount within 30 days. As soon as I received my EOB, the entire check was sent to them.

That amount might not seem like much to you..but considering I have received $657.00 since the week of Christmas..it is alot to me.

2. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Welcome to absolute reality. This is why no living organism can continue to live sanely under such conditions.

3. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Sorry to hear that Zodiac, and yes... that is a lot of money - especially when you're a mom trying to make it with two kids. It's frustrating to see people in the larger institutions not give a rip about the little guy or gal and get that calloused attitude or feeling about the people that they deal with. Is it going to negatively impact your credit? Or were they able to sort it out? It sounds like it's been a huge pain in your butt to begin with.

4. toader

toader Banned

Man that sucks.

I hate insurance. All of it. Car, house, life, anything. I understand it has helped many people out in times, but they have caused a TON of headaches also.

It is also another middleman to buffer price increases without much conflict from the customer. My freind/roomate works at a medical supplier. He visits doctors and sells them what they need for business. Im saying this as an example of the middle-man markup that Im referring to. You all know those neck braces you see folks wearing in court? He sells those to the doctors for $13, guess what the doctors bill the insurance company for them? $90 bucks. Guess what the insurance comapny does about it? Pays it. Then calmly raises the customers rates. So in the end, the customer is the one paying for it, but because of this middle-man insurance company bullcrap, alot of people dont know about the ridiculous stuff like this that happens.

If we went back to pre-insurance days, I guarentee no doctor would get away with a 800% mark-up on things.

Anyways, sorry to get off on a tangent, I just hate insurance companies and doctors just like you Zodiac :rant:

5. Arokthis

Arokthis IncGamers Member

That was your mistake. You need to actually go to the hospital and talk to a real person. You are totally at their mercy when they have you on the phone. One thing that can happen is the "accidently" hang up on you when they "meant" to put you on hold. (Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.) When you finaly decido to go there in person, make sure whoever you talk to doesn't get out of your sight or hearing. Try to listen in to anything they are told over the phone and try to see whatever is on their computer screen. If screen after screen goes by faster than can normally be read, there's a good chance they are wasting time intentionally.

Most of all, don't take anybody's crap. Be snotty. Be nasty. If anyone gives you grief, tell them to work fast or you're going to talk to their supervisor. Threats work well in PaperPusherLand. Have fun!

6. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

One of our US senators was buried in a landslide in 2000 because of an ad campaign showing an ex-supporter who'd begged and begged him to intervene with her insurance company and force them to pay the medical bills for her dying daughter, but he was too busy getting a deep-pocketed crony out of a California jail at the time.

7. advil

advil IncGamers Member

out of idle curiosity, who was that?

anyway, sorry to hear about your trouble zodiac. i've had problems with hospitals/insurance before, but only to the extent of being an annoyance, not so much money involved...

8. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Spence Abraham.

9. axeil

axeil IncGamers Member

What state was this senator from? What party?

10. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Just out of curiosity, Zodiac, how are you keeping your children alive without some kind of income? I sure hope you do better than $150 soon.

11. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

I am usually laid off for the winter, I work in the office of a landscaping company. I plan for this, so I have some money saved up, but I don't like to see it get low. It takes about 5 weeks for unemployment to kick in. I should be getting it every 2 weeks now.

12. th5418

th5418 Banned

Yes, a worm can live through absolute reality. Their reality is just to eat. Absolute reality for them.

13. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Still, a hundred and fifty big ones is a decent chunk of money, and more frustrating indeed when a big corporation can't make a move and see to it that they pay their own debts on time. Bet if you were 150 bucks in the hole with them, you'd hear about it soon enough, right?