Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OK, my gear thread...

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Tarr, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

OK, my gear thread...

Hi, SPFers.

I threatened earlier that I was going to post this, and so here it is. I'm trying to decide on an eq setup for my paladin that will take him through level 99 and I'd like some input. He's a zealavenger (20 conviction, fanatacism, zeal, holy shield, remaining pounts being poured into vengeance for kicks. Also got 1 point in salvation and redemption with prereqs. No build advice please, I like my build, I know there's better, I don't care. :) )

Anyway, here's my current equipment:

Weapon 1 (zeal/fanat) Crescent Moon Cryptic Sword, HoZ
    Weapon 2 (veng/convict) Nord's Tenderizer, Medusa's Gaze
    Armor: Lionheart Scarab Husk
    Helmet: Vamp Gaze
    Belt: String of Ears
    Gloves: Laying of Hands
    Boots: Gore Rider
    Ring 1: Carrion Wind
    Ring 2: Raven Frost
    Amulet: Mara's

OK, so my dilemmas:

I'd like to replace the Lionheart, the defense is low. However the ED, resists, and str bonus are hard to give up. Other choices are Guardian Angel and Shaftstop.

I'd like to give the Mara's to my necro, but the resists are hard to lose once again. Possible replacements include Steelgrid and Highlord's. (I'd really like to use the steelgrid, a fanat'ed IG would be neato. It survives logouts like the necro's does right?)

LoH is nice, but I've got some Steelrends and the crushing blow would probably help a lot. Also, losing the big fat 50% fire resist on LoH sucks. Losing the IAS I don't *think* would matter but there's always highlord's if it did.

I guess HoZ can't be replaced, period, and Medusa's, while nothing spectactular, is a pretty nice shield to have for conviction/vengeance, particularly the LR when struck. Pity, because I don't have another char that can use this shiny new stormshield. And yes, I could use a second herald on switch but I don't like using copies of uniques on the same char. Personal style :D

Also, I can upgrade the angel or the shaft if I go that route. My sorcy's merc has an upgraded shaft, with a nice big fat 1303 def. (I SO wanted 1337 defense. :( )

I think that's about it for him. Open to any and all suggestions (any eq that's overlooked here that would be good, I might have. I'm rich, beeyatch!) So point that out too...no, I don't have a stormlash or a baranar's star.

Also, unrelated, what's the best build/jewelry for an IK barb? I'm leaning toward an ironbarb, and I think that basically no matter what I don't want whirlwind, it seems to suck badly in 1.10, I had an axe barb on battlenet that was STACKED with top eq, a ww'er, and he sucked post patch, could solo 8 person cows in 1.09.

Thanks in advance SPFers! :drink:

2. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

Hmmnnn ... my IK Barb has (trying to remember) Highlord's Wrath for the ammy (crit strike, +1 skills etc) and a Ravenfrost/CarrionWind ring combo. The CW was kinda of an experiment with the ctc twister and life leech. Seems to work well for the most part. Would probably swap it out with a good rare ring .... maybe.

Whirlwind works pretty good with an IK Barb even on players8. Surprising. Pretty powerful. I don't think I even socketed my IK Barb yet neither.

3. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Gloom could be a alternative, high defense with 45 res all and a still a bit of strength (less than lionheart though). If you really get to a high defense, the dim vision on struck should not be a huge problem.

Randall

4. Kaptain_Insano

Kaptain_Insano IncGamers Member

I would consider using draculs for gloves, highlords for ammy, and Schaeffers for a weapon and socket it for speed.

Cheers K

5. Sleepless

Sleepless IncGamers Member

IG from charges must be recasted each game.

6. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Owch!!!!!!!!!!!

7. adeadrat

adeadrat IncGamers Member

Of course them shaeffer's are so common :rolleyes:

8. Boulos

Boulos IncGamers Member

What else do you need gold for than to recharge items with repair? :)

9. GrandmasAreYummy

GrandmasAreYummy IncGamers Member

I think he's more concerned with the quality items used to make the iron golems that would be lost.

Grandma

10. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Exactly grandma

11. Kaptain_Insano

He did say he was rich in the original post :) i don't know about exile rich though. I still haven't found a shield worthy enough anyway.

Cheers K

12. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

It's not like it'll survive long anyway, without mastery and synergies and all.

Tried it on my avenger, golem from IK maul survived 5 minutes in act 5 hell.

13. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Like lemming said, you need life tap to make your life easier when going for 99. Exile = Pwn, but it is extremely hard to make a good one so I'd use Drac's for my gloves, Highlords for my ammy, and either Stone (only if you want insane defense) or Gloom (better choice imo) for my armor. Also, if you have a Crown of Ages, it's better than vamp with even 1 socket and looks sexy on paladins.

As for your wpn, the two best zealot wpns are Stormlash and Schaefers, with Schaefers being my pick of the two (since I don't own a Stormlash and therefore have no opinion on it). If you don't have either of those then I don't know if there are any faster killers than your crescent moon's static.

For your IK Barb, I'd make him WW. WW IK Barbs are so strong it's not even funny. For the extra slots I also used BKWB, Raven, and Highlords.

14. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

I am trying to get my fanat zealot to level 99 also, and i put him on hold while I am getting better gear. Other weapons that can get you to the mid 90's would be a death cleaver, azerwrath, or at last resort a crescent moon.
    Akaptain insano
    Also socketing a shaefers for speed is pretty worthless unless you can get lots of offweapon IAS also, I socketed my shaefers(which is what i am using currently) with a 40 ed jewel and just had to settle with a 5 frame attack, as I need 80% more IAS to hit the last bp.

15. Kaptain_Insano

@ Fodder: thanks for the info. I have my schaeffer's socketed but it is still open. My fanazealot isn't off the ground yet. I had read somewhere that it should have some ias in it but I think they were going for 4 frames maybe.
    How does 5 frames work for you? and how much ias total do you need for 5 and also 4? I could look it up but i am curious of your experiences, as this will be my first zealot of any kind.

Cheers K

16. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

with level 23 fanat, you need 12% to hit 5 frame, and 97% to hit 4 frame attack, and i also have not tried a stormlash, hopefully one will fall for me one of these days, but i can easily do p6 baal minions(as long as they don't spawn with bad mods) and p8 baal.

17. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

No, I'm not Exile rich. :) I also don't own a stormlash or a schaefer's, and to be completely honest, I had schaefer's on my bnet zealot and I hated it. My SP kills much faster with the Crescent Moon cryptic.

Why is life tap essential? I understand it's probably useful, but essential? I rarely find myself in danger of dying outside of bugged gloams, from anything anywhere. Plus, the only Dracul's I found, from Mephy, was an ethereal of course.

Does anyone else use guardian angel? Isn't 90 all resists pretty good now in 1.10?

And, I could make a better lionheart, I have another hel, and lum, and fal, but I'd have to find a really exceptional three socket armor to want to do another one. No one finds upgraded shaft a good option?

18. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

Well, really I'm only worried if he's extra fast, fanatacism, and cursed, all at once. And even then, not too tough.

19. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

Okay, I started the IK barb. He's still a nub, and still hasn't spent points. Question for him: how important is mace mastery? It seems less useful than previous patches but I guess still pretty much required to max?

Also, I experimented with various configurations of the pally eq I posted. I'm confused, lost, and I guess I'll just sit on the pally a while. Too many choices....can't....head...explode...ugh.

Edit: Oh, fyi, since I don't see the quest for 99 thread about anywhere, I managed to get him to 90 before deciding I'd just leave that stuff in his stash and give him a vacation :D

20. Tarr

Tarr IncGamers Member

Hmmm. While I decide how to best build the IK barb I'll max mace mastery.
    I'm still not sold on my pally's eq selection. This is too hard. It seems like I can't get the resists I want with the other stuff I want. :(