Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ok, Kicker Assassin Finer Points

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Mojotales, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Mojotales

Mojotales IncGamers Member

Ok, Kicker Assassin Finer Points

I've had rotten luck with (no skill with) Assassins, with some success with a Trapper (although I think Assassins ought to, well, hit things) and no luck at Martial Arts.

I've read various glowing reports and am starting a Kicksin.

20 Dragon Talon
    20 Venom
    20 Death Sentry
    1+ Shadow Master (enough to get lvl 18 with +skills)
    2 Mind Blast
    3 Fire Blast (extra shot for Death Sentry)
    1 in all other 1-point wonders and prereqs

seem to be the basics I'm looking at. What I'm missing is the magic mojo of how to look at the character. In other words, I seem to see that DT is wise to put points into to get three kicks going and make sure (having earlier outlined the build with a point here and there) switch over to building Death Sentry as one levels.

Those who have gone somewhat down this route before, here's my confusion:

Just hitting closer to 20, what I love is to build up a charge with low Fists of Fire to charge and then let go a normal attack to burn small group of attacks. Seems smooth and careful with mana with good results. I'm also dropping points into Dragon Talon and don't know how to set it up in a smooth attack -- Firsts of Fire and then DT? Straight Attack and then DT to unwind? I flat don't get it.

I have enjoyed a Trapper as I say and look forward to having those higher talents to work in but, hey, "Kickersin" sort of tells me I'd better have a clearer picture of where I'm trying to go and how to get there!

Thanks!

Mojotales

2. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Re: Ok, Kicker Assassin Finer Points

Kickers usually don't use the Martial Arts charge up skills. They just kick. Stack some Crushing Blow gear and kick. Most encounters should look like this: Cast Cloak of Shadows/Mind Blast if necessary, drop some traps, kick kick kick, more traps, kick, repeat until everyone is dead.

3. Mojotales

I thought I had possibly mushed too many things together in thinking about the build!

Let me ask, then -- I assume the rules are to go for the highest damage boots whenever possible, kick backside at every chance? At level 18 is the plan to have as much in Dragon Talon?

Getting a peek into the process means the world and I'm so very grateful.

Mojotales

4. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Going too high in DTalon gets you extra kicks that often won't hit. When you put alot in and get 5-6 kicks, it will miss when knocking back. Vs bosses, it's fine since they stay, but for everything else, you'll kick the air.

A balance is usually 3-4 kicks, which is taking + skills gear into consideration.

5. Mojotales

eeks. took it out for a spin.

ok, so I've never seen such a glaring mana drain -- I should leech leech leech as I level?

It also seems to me that with most of the damage coming from DT/kick, does it negate the sharp, shiny claw weapons and suggest more general weapons and perhaps a shield with benefits would be smarter?

Do the rest of the original post numbers make sense if DT is set too high? Venom? etc?

Thanks!

Mojo

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  6. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

I recommend a kick/trap variation over the "pure" warrior monk kicker. Feel free to check in with the assassin forum, insane amounts of info available in not just the guides, but in the following posts as well.

7. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

Mana leech: Early levels you will need it. Later on, you won't.

Weapon: My kicker used Crescent Moon runeword and Whistan's Guard. A lot of kickers use a non-claw weapon that gives CB and/or Static and shield.

Boots: Upped Goreriders or Shadowdancers are what you want endgame, or really good rare myrmidon greaves.

And what secksegai said, kicker/trapper is an amazing build.

8. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Eh, even in higher levels, you need that leech. DS is the big drainer, but constantly using DTalon drains it as well.

For boots, gores are definitely the one you want. The CB and OW out does even the dancers, and rare ones have the insane STR req.

9. Mojotales

As always, this forum is insanely kind and helpful -- even though I am an idiot, I never FEEL like an idiot when asking questions thanks to the wonderful treatment.

Having read a ton, I'm amazed to have found what seems the wisest case which is for NOT topping Dragon Talon -- diminishing returns and all.

Having had a couple of strokes over the past years, alas, my hand-eye-keyword-mouse coordination just isn't what it should be and the head's up on what to go for as, in this case, with a Kick/Trap makes the difference between playing and not playing Diablo.

As I said, if I could drill into a mana vein under my desk right now .....

lol,

Mojo

10. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

11. humbuggerer

humbuggerer IncGamers Member

You could always just take any weapon with sockets and put a skull in there... should be fine in normal difficulty.