OK, I'm going to try whining here - GEIB VEX KOUNTESS! ifr

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: OK, I'm going to try whining here - GEIB VEX KOUNTESS!

@jiansonz - That's the fun of 1.09 - any boss can be MSLE, and if you don't have LA, it's very, very hurty.
I think you are wrong.

I have 5 Pats/Mats and a Guardian in 1.09, and during their journeys through the game, I never saw a melee-only monster with Multiple Shots.

I remember a "big" thing that was being talked about on forums back then, the risk that some of the SuperUnique monsters would be MSLE. In Hell, Bartuc and Ancient Kaa have about 15% risk to be MSLE. The risk is this high because they are always LE. Now why were those two guys feared and mentioned a lot, and not Rakanishu, Fangskin, Stormtree? Because Bartuc and Kaa have ranged attacks.

Vultures can get MS in v1.10 and onwards (don´t know about 1.09). Apparently, their "start flying around meaninglessly" move counts as a ranged attack.

RobbyD

Diabloii.Net Member

@jiansonz: Well, maybe you're right - I always just assumed that any boss can get it - I do know Ghosts can get it - are those considered ranged? I'll keep an eye out as I run Countess.

A couple notables:

That Gilded Shield rack finally delivered, so I can stop worrying about it now.

Also, a pretty decent skiller from a boss the Sorc happened to decide to kill on the way:

Code:
Sparking Grand Charm of Sustenance
Keep in Inventory to Gain Bonus
Required Level: 53
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 76
Fingerprint: 0x7efefc56
+35 to Life
+1  to Lightning Skills (Sorceress Only)
Guess my Nova Sorc in training will be happy - that's Sparker #6 for her.

*****EDIT*****

Ist #5

The count is 5 Ists and 3 Guls... 0 Vex's

*****EDIT*****

OK, it's getting ridiculous now.

Griswold's Heart .... 1:41,000 at 200MF per ATMA - more than 5 times as rare as Vex from Countess

Last edited:

RobbyD

Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry for the self bump, but the crazyness of this quest keep mounting.

I have a superchest on the way on Tower 3 that I've been popping for gems and charms. It did recently produce a Lum, so I knew it was worth the effort (it's really at a teleport stop) - but I did not expect a Gul from it! That's Gul #4 and by FAR the best rune from a non-Countess source I've seen (second best was Um from an undefiled grave on my Zon's map).

Not long after, this Ammy from Countess turned out to be Atma's Scarab (1:41,000 at 200%MF), yet another item more rare than the Vex is supposed to be.

I didn't take a screenie of it, evidently, but this Sander's Paragon (1:38,000) also came from Countess:

Code:
Sander's Paragon
Cap
Defense: 3
Durability: 8 of 12
Required Level: 25
Unidentified
Item Version: Expansion
Item Level: 77
Fingerprint: 0x623c40ce
Attacker Takes Damage of 8
35% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
+1 to Defense (1 per Character Level)

LiquidClear

Diabloii.Net Member

I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor, but I have to ask: Is there a point where you would declare it impossible for her to drop a Vex, or could you spend the rest of your life running 1.09 countess? :p

isengart

Diabloii.Net Member

Rooby, keep on running. I think it does not make a big diffrence to you if you ran Meph,P Pinde or the Pits instead. At least that is my experience: I don't care where I run, one target is as boring as another one if you keep up the pace...

greetings
isi

skipjack

Diabloii.Net Member

@RobbyD: You are starting to remind me of the guy from Quantum Leap.

rumplemintz

Diabloii.Net Member

Not to rub salt in the "no Vex" wound, but last night I saw a Countess drop that is unprecedented in my D2 career: she dropped me two Mals at once. Wish I'd taken a screenie, but I saved-and-exited as fast as possible.
That's neat, I'm actually hunting for an Um to complete CoH and I got two Ist runes in a row. What are the odds of that?

RobbyD

Diabloii.Net Member

@LiquidClear and Skipjack: I may be the guy on Quantum Leap, but zemaj points out, it's not the most completely unprofitable loop to be stuck in. I've stopped posting things like Lems and Kos (Countess really seems to like dropping these), but I'm fully invested in this project now. If it turns out (and I fully expect this to happen) that Fervid gets a Vex drop before I do, I might end up using his screenie and moving on, but I don't plan on stopping anytime before I actually get that drop.

I did eventually get the Baranar's Star from Mephy that was my first experience with running a target for a specific drop, so I'm in for the long haul.

Now, if it turns out that Countess drops another Thundergod's Vigor, I'll feel more enthusiastic about focusing on getting that Nova sorc progressed through to do the running (IMHO, TGod's is required gear for almost any build in 1.09, and definitely needed for a build like a Nova Sorc that will be in close proximity to the monsters). I do think she would be more fun to run Countess with than the MeteOrb. But right now it's hard to make myself take her on the Coldcrow runs.

@rumplemintz: I was getting Lems when I wanted Lums, so your experience doesn't surprise me.

Mungojerry

Diabloii.Net Member

Hey guys. Fascinating reads on here. Hope you find dat vexing Vex rune RobbyD. I miss the times when i was this passionate about the game, even though it can be quite unhealthy :p.

RobbyD

Diabloii.Net Member

Weekend Update:

I gave GIEB_VEX some love and got her to level 18 on Coldcrow runs (no Torch of Iro, but that's not what I'm ultimately after), then put the 6pEmerald Long Battle Bow in her hands and started getting some progress. No self-rushing, just playing through the game on P8. That bow was effective all through Acts 1 and 2, and I enjoyed using that in conjuction with Static to take down a boss of any size - pluck with bow for the 42 second poison duration, then static to a sliver so the poison takes it out. This was the preferred method for Kaa the Soulless and his ilk. Normal Act 2 mercs come with a max level of 13 in 1.09, so the merc weapon progression went Razortine (12), Bloodthief (17), Battlebranch (25). Got GIEB_VEX to level 27 for the Honor Knout and merc to level 25 for the Battlebranch to take on lil' D. I used Nova and Teleport situationally, but the mana demands are such that it really makes sense to rely on weapons for most of the killing at this point. The search for WPs that is Act 3 awaits.

The Merc is so overpowered with Battlebranch, Iceblink, Face of Horror (and an Honor Yari or Partizan at level 27 will be ridiculous) and good caster gear comes available at level 29 (Skin/SoJs/Rhyme etc) so she'll probably go pure caster at level 30.

Now, that's not to say that ClimateChange was idle - she got some runs in - here are some highlights:

This amulet proved to be yet another Atma's Scarab.

Countess shows a little rune love with a Mal (#8, so I have a Vex worth of Mals now)

This Valk Wing was a perfect roll (I may try that with my Druid's merc to see if I can get a GSA to replace the Magewrath).

Last edited:

Friiser

Diabloii.Net Member

(and the Vex rune to help with making 1.10s Ohm for obvious reasons).
Weekend Update:
(#8, so I have a Vex worth of Mals now)
Well, at least you can make that 1.10s runeword you've been after. Still won't have the screenie for your guide, though.

I enjoy this thread with my morning coffee :coffee: - best of luck with the VEX drop!

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

Semi-OT: Which is the highest rune that v1.13 Countess can drop from her special rune drop? I know it´s Ral in Normal, but what is in in the other two difficulties?

kestegs

D3 Monk Moderator

Semi-OT: Which is the highest rune that v1.13 Countess can drop from her special rune drop? I know it´s Ral in Normal, but what is in in the other two difficulties?
Should be:

(N)El-Ral
(NM)El-Io (Ko from her normal drop)
(H)El-Ist (Lo from her normal drop)

RobbyD

Diabloii.Net Member

@Friiser: Yeah, I think at this point I can comfortably make 2x CtA, 2x Delirium, a 1.10a CtA for BKWB Andy running, and all the CM weapons I care to make. I also still have a set of rushees waiting to collect at the HF. So, yeah, it's pretty much down to getting that screenie.

Quick update on GIEB_VEX:

Got her and her merc to level 29 in the process of finding all the jungle WPs and corresponding Khalim parts - and she finally ran into something that put a hurt on her - the fire-breathing Shaman pack at the bottom of the Flayer Dungeon. Not exactly a NDE, but they did get her life bulb to less than half full before she Nova'd them down.

BTW - the best Honor base for when your merc gets to level 27 is a Yari. I made an Honor Battle Scythe thinking he would be able to carry it without a Face of Horror, but I didn't realize that the Dex requirement makes it beyond his stats. So, Honor Yari + Face of Horror (which isn't a bad helm for a low level merc in it's own right) is the way to go when the merc gets to level 27.

SO... here she is at level 29 ready to go find LK - I'm planning her gear transition for level 30, when she'll go pure caster. She's been running with that pEmerald LBB with Angelic armor + ammy + rings and Death's belt + gloves and a Tarnhelm. At level 30, FO and the Masteries become available, and the merc is destroying everything he touches, so she's going pure caster (expect mostly FO at this point). Peasant Crown + skill/resists ammy + [email protected] Skin + 3FO/2CM/1CA Orb + Rhyme Grim Shield + SoE + Frosties + 2x SoJ + Infernostride (those Shaman showed me that fire can hurt). I'll put a 2LM/2LSkills Orb on switch for Nova. Mana/life/balance charms will occupy the inventory. I'll pump LM over Nova to ease the mana hurt, but I expect a nice mana bump from the charms, frosties, and rings.

Next breakpoint will be at level 42, when skillers (6!) and Occy become available.

ClimateChange didn't produce much but some Lums in about 100 runs.

RobbyD

Diabloii.Net Member

ClimateChange has been joined by GIEB_VEX in full-time Countess running. GEIB_VEX was level 73 when she started, and is now level 76. As chronicled in the 1.09 Roll Call thread, I found that the 105 FCR setup (Wizzy/Lidless) was best for the Nova, so I publicly proclamed that the next Ist rune that falls will go in that Wizzy... and Countess promptly dropped an Ist. Now GIEB_VEX actually sports more MF than ClimateChange (175 vs 150). Her VERY next run produced a Shako, almost as if it was a reward for calling her bluff.

So I noticed just how often Countess is LE with GIEB_VEX (and LE, even if it's not MSLE, is very hurty even with maxed LR and decent MDR), but she was nice enough to drop a Blackhorn's to make the merc immune... then I got jealous of the merc's immunity and pulled the Thundergod's Vigor off my Assassin and put it on GIEB_VEX - now sparks act like life leeching for both.

Since the Wizzy/Lidless setup is the one I'm going with, I replaced the Occy/Rhyme switch with that Memory Gothic Staff that has the +2 ES/+2 Shiver Armor staffmods - since the LI archers actually bug her (no level advantage and low blocking), the Shiver Armor is actually a handy prebuff, and you can run with both SA and ES active.

GIEB_VEX actually runs Countess in <1min (ClimateChange is slightly >1Min).

So an update on drops that aren't Vex:

Ist (#6... went in the Occy for the MF)
Shako and another Shako (!?!)
Blackhorn's Face
Rare Boots: 30% FRW, 34% LR, 19% MF
Atlantean and Meat Scraper in the same drop
Blackleach Blade
Que-Hegan's Wisdom
Oculus
Pierre Tombale Couant
Grim's Burning Dead
Spellsteel
Toxic Small Charm (100/5sc)
Shogukusha's GC of Life

Last edited:

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

I´ve never tried Nova in D2. It was a pretty powerful spell (which you could only cast from scrolls and staff charges) back in Diablo 1, though.

Good going with the Ist runes. I hope to find one someday. In 1.10, I have seen a Vex (dropped by an urn in an Act II Desert area) and two Gul runes (from Hellforges) but never an Ist.

'Wizzy', is that Wizardspike, the unique Bone Knife?

Why is a Shako a drop worth mentioning? It´s just the elite equivalent of a Cap. :scratchhead:
(EDIT: just saw a screenie - it was the unique Shako...)

That´s some pretty cool rare boots there!

Brak

Diabloii.Net Member

Everytime I see this thread bump, I get excited thinking you've finally gotten your Vex rune.

@jiansonz, Shako is the accepted shorthand for the Harlequin Crest unique Shako. Sometimes called Harly, Giant Peanut, or Man Sized Rubber as well.

RobbyD

Diabloii.Net Member

I´ve never tried Nova in D2. It was a pretty powerful spell (which you could only cast from scrolls and staff charges) back in Diablo 1, though.
I had not tried it until GIEB_VEX, and I really like it. I decided I need to do 2 of the most legendary 1.09 builds before moving on, Nova Sorc and LF Zon.

Good going with the Ist runes. I hope to find one someday. In 1.10, I have seen a Vex (dropped by an urn in an Act II Desert area) and two Gul runes (from Hellforges) but never an Ist.
I have some advice for you then - make a lightning sorc and run some Countess!

'Wizzy', is that Wizardspike, the unique Bone Knife?
Yes, and it is very nice for hitting the 105 FCR breakpoint while taking care of the Hell resists penalty. I have Wizzy + Skin + Lidless + crafted caster ammy (45/19/19/19, +1 Sorc skills) as an easy setup for that. Topazes in the Shako and Skin + Ist in the Wizzy provide the MF that I'll hope produces some items when I finally move on from Countess and finish Hell.

Why is a Shako a drop worth mentioning? It´s just the elite equivalent of a Cap. :scratchhead:
You would be amazed how much Shakos and Occys in 1.09 are worth in 1.13 currency.

(EDIT: just saw a screenie - it was the unique Shako...)
Yes, I use the D2 nickname for the Harlequin Crests - people simply call it a "Shako".

**EDIT** Ninja'd by Brak

That´s some pretty cool rare boots there!
Yes, pretty sweet! Almost, but not quite, as good as the boots GIEB_VEX is already wearing.

@Brak:

Today is my birthday. I expect a Vex from Countess tonight as my present.

queenEm

Diabloii.Net Member

Your birthday?!? Then I wish you a very enjoyable celebration and for sure the Countess will feel your special circumstance and give you that Vex! Anything else is just not fair :)

Happy Birthday!