Ok, I'm about to freak out.

Ok, I'm about to freak out.

So, I just went to play the game, and it wouldn't load. it says that the storm.dll is missing, reinstall it to help. and then after that it says that the Disc isn't in the drive, please load that. I opened the drive, and ironically the disc is in there. So, I closed it back up, and after about 10 seconds the normal D2 screen pops up where it usually says play D2 or you can uninstall it or what not. Well this time there is no play D2 option. Has anyone ever seen this or no?

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
I suggest backing up your characters, uninstalling D2, and then reinstalling it. It seems as though something has become corrupted.

-hps

well thats never good, so basically anything thats in my d2 save folder, just copy all that stuff, and then when i reinstall it, paste it into the new d2 save folder?

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
My instint is that a file got corrupted, which given your other problems with the computer isn't all that hard to believe. The simplest solution may be to reinstall D2 after running a system check on the computer.

Sir Lister of Smeg

Diabloii.Net Member
I checked to see whether I had that dll and whether it's malware or not. Apparently it's not malware, but a legitimate blizzard library which is used in various games. One can assume there are various versions of it, but I don't know. So it seems you have the following options:
1. See whether the file is present on one of the disks and copy it to your Diablo II directory
2. See whether the file is present in archived format on one of the disks (this will be the case if 1 is not met). Extract the file and copy it.
3. Download the file from the internet, the source could be malicious, so this is not recommended unless you trust the source.
4. Run the Diablo II updater again, this could well fail to solve the problem though, but you should this after one of the above anyway.
5. Reinstall Diablo II altogether. This should definitely work.

Anyway, usually files don't disappear all of a sudden, so as Cattleya mentioned, do do a check on your computer, and in particular, check for malware. Did you recently install or uninstall other software?
While I'm writing this, I'm thinking that I did have a problem as well which turned out to be caused by starforce copy protection, nevertheless, so far it seems your problem is less severe (a full windows reinstall might not be needed).

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
well thats never good, so basically anything thats in my d2 save folder, just copy all that stuff, and then when i reinstall it, paste it into the new d2 save folder?
That is correct.

I would suggest doing it right now, no matter what solution you take/attempt (Sir Lister has some good suggestions) and putting them on a CD, or disk, or USB drive along with your ATMA stashes as it appears that your computer isn't that stable.

-hps

scwormy

Diabloii.Net Member
I would suggest doing it right now, no matter what solution you take/attempt (Sir Lister has some good suggestions) and putting them on a CD, or disk, or USB drive along with your ATMA stashes as it appears that your computer isn't that stable.
For this reason I back up both my save directory and my ATMA stashes once a month (at least) and stick them on my gmail account.

So if anything like this does happen, I haven't lost everything.

edit: Good luck FO.

@lister the only newly downloaded software was todesrunes from last night. It was weird, cuz I played last night, and the last thing I did was download that program. I didn't do anything though because when I tried to run it, I was confused about the partial stash thing, but ever since that is when it didnt work, but I'll try your suggestions, thank you

And thanks everyone for listening to another problem I'm having. Someday when I'm rich you'll all received Free Zods, Enigma's, and other cheesy thank you cards!

Also, @scwormy when you mentioned backing up your stashes, that has nothing to deal with me reinstalling D2 right? You just do that so you have back ups. I guess im just curious that if I reinstall D2 will I have to do anything special with my atma folders and stashes to make them compatible with the newly installed d2