Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ok guys, tell me exactly what to play

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Wolfedude, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

Ok guys, tell me exactly what to play

I have been playing Dii ever since it came out (with a little time off for Guildwars and WoW). I have decided that the only character I have never been able to run through Hell has been an Assassin Martial artist. I have built almost every other kind of character and played them all the way. Some I have quit on because they turned out to be way too much trouble or not any fun playstylewise.

What I have decided is that I need a character that can just easily run Baal quickly. Without the drops that he can make I don't believe that it is practical to expect to find the highest upper end uniques that the game has to offer. So, what character to use? I have seen enigma Hammerdins that seem to be the absolute best at this but that requires that you have enigma. I have seen lightning sorceresses that utilize their mercs conviction aura to kill everything in sight very quickly: but that requires the runes to build the Infinity polearm - 2 Bers, Mal, Ist. I think it is extremely unlikely that I will ever have these available to me.

So, what is your advice? Can a Shockbear make these runs without some form of teleportation? Would just using a teleport ammy resolve this dilemma? Of course you will have to recharge one at least a couple of times before you get to Baal. I know that my Strafer which is decked out in the best equipment cannot handle the task. I can struggle through clearing the WSK but that is with only about 50% MF. And killing Baal is out of the question. My trapper can handle the Throneroom but when Baal hits her and she loses her mana even the aura from the merc, who dies fairly easily, cannot keep her going and it takes an extremely long and tenuous time to kill Baal with her.

A well decked out Skellymancer can do it but that takes about 20 minutes a run without teleporting and even teleporting is highly dangerous. I don't think you can do it with a zealot or a melee barb. Perhaps a very specialized double throw barb with the right equipment and one that is super speedly that can just run all the way to the Throneroom and after killing the minions perhaps switch to some kind of concentration barb that fights Baal with a lot of DR.

I don't know. I do know that I am curious as to what a few of you might recommend. Anyone can run Baal with the perfect setup; but getting that perfect setup means a hugh investment in time to just try & get the right items to start runing Baal.

I am open to suggestions and will be grateful for your replies.

2. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

Re: Ok guys, tell me exactly what to play

Orb/fb and blizz/tk are both good... not light sorc good, but without infinity they're probably the next best.

Just standard build with shako/ss/tgods/wizzy, stack some extra LR against convic gloams, and you'll probably want a solid merc as blizz needs the merc to kill any CIs (skeletons, often lister, OKs) and orb/fb needs the merc to hold the spawns in place and kill ci/fis (again, often lister, and some random boss spawns).

Should be able to do ~3-5 minute runs safely with either build if you've got solid gear.

Barbs can run to baal decently, especially with a port ammy to hop over the occaisional wall, but remember... OKs, OKs, OKs. Double throw kills way too slow to make runs fast.

3. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

1.) Hammerdin without Enigma does just fine, don't let people convince you otherwise. It's the most overpowered build around, even without godly gear.

You have maxed block and maxed vigor, why not run it? You can even switch to walk mode and still fly while keeping 75% block.

2.) Blizzard Sorc with a decent merc is what I use for my runs. Only thing that is CI is the skels from wave 2, and with a decent dmg inight merc and smart tele it isn't difficult.

3.) Assassin using BoS and Cloak can get there quickly if you know the pattern. Traps for the waves and 1 pt Talon with a CB switch and Baal is cake.

I'd personally go with 3 for fun and based on your requests.

lvl 80 (91 pts)

Max Light Sentry
    Max Death Sentry
    Max CB Sentry
    1 pt in all useful Shadow Disciplines (Fade/Mind Blast/Master and their prereqs, most of which rock as well)
    1 pt in DTalon for CB switch

this leaves you with 19 points left to use at lvl 80, which means you can Max anything else worth maxing at lvl 80. Sinking more points into Talon, Fade and Master are all good options.

On switch I'd go for Black in a flail and then whatever you want, Rhyme is a good option for the CBF/MF/Block combination (if you aren't getting CBF from Raven) or, if you have Res or AR issues, Sanctuary is a solid choice.

4. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

Well, I have a level 73 Hammerdin right now. He is fairly well equipped with Thundergods and 90 to 95 % resists. I don't have vigor maxed but am working on it. Maybe I can level him up a bit more and give him a try.

What level do you guys think would be proper to start trying to run Baal with this guy?

5. Tai.

Tai. IncGamers Member

Well, if you have 90+ resists, Max Block and T-Gods I'd say you'll be good just about whenever. I've only ever had Enigma on one pally of mine and I've done tons of CS and Baal runs in my day. Might want to take it a bit slow at first to get the feel for Cleansing/Redemptiong/Salv timing when necessary. Overall though, a decent Hammerdin can tear through anything.