Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Ohm in a Phase

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by davew2040, Mar 1, 2004.

1. davew2040

davew2040 IncGamers Member

Ohm in a Phase

There was some debate on the battle.net trade forum whether or not this item would deserve an Ohm:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dwinterm/files/d2/rare_phase_blade_01.jpg

The fact there is any question is truly a testament to the skewed duped-rune economy. If Zods were not so common, I doubt there would be any doubt at all that this would deserve an Ohm, which is normally about 15x more common than a Zod.

2. th5418

th5418 Banned

It deserves an Ohm. I guess. Seems like a decent weapon.

3. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

Greatest weapon on Earth?? No... Deserving of an Ohm... depends on the Owner. A regular 40%Ed jewel is much cheaper and the damage loss isn't too much. 198 - 224

4. davew2040

Well then, where would an Ohm better be used? And I don't mean in terms of trade values.

It's obvious that an Ohm yields the most benefit in an ethereal weapon, where the multiplier will have the most relative effect. The runewords Famine, Doom, Chaos, and Call to Arms can't be placed into an ethereal weapon without ending up useless; these are good runewords, but a 350% ED ethereal weapon is the same as a 575% ED non-eth weapon, which pretty clearly overwhelms the ED on these runewords. There are Bramble and Exile, but presume for the moment we're talking about weapons.

The alternative is a 2-socket high-ED rare, where the other socket is occupied by a Zod; these are uncommon, and the Zod is also expensive. Or, an ethereal rare of self-repair. An ethereal high-ED rare of self-repair is... rare, to say the least. People who hold out for weapons like these are like poor people spending all their money on the lottery.

Anyway, people are all pretty biased by the overwhelming abundance of BotD's.

BTW, if anyone was curious, this was the best out of 500 ilvl 99 cude mod rerolls. There were some other 250-300 rolls, and one 358%/+11 max roll. All in all, good rolls were highly uncommon; I assume they're approximately equivalent to high-clvl imbues.

5. Zenkat

Zenkat IncGamers Member

For one, am i right in understanding an upgraded eth rare crystal sword/dimensional blade loses its eth dmg bonus when it becomes a phase?
    Doesnt quite seem like it in that photo.... but i really cant tell very well.
    If it DOES work, thats pretty pathetic for 342ed.

Since eth rares can spawn with 400+ ed, i wouldnt have bothered with one that is below 300 to start with. An Ohm is worth so much for good runewords these days, that i just wouldnt waste it on a mediocre see-thru phase blade.

alainpp66 was right, a 40 ed jewel is way cheaper, and wont drop the damage by much at all.

6. davew2040

No, this is in fact a 350% eth phase blade damage. 350% eth = 350*1.5 + 50 non-eth = 575%; [31-35]*6.75 = 209-236

I think you're neglecting the fact that a phase blade is the fastest weapon in the game, reaching the last breakpoint for virtually all classes with only a reasonable amount of IAS. This is basically twice as much damage as a Lightsabre.