Oh, Madonna.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
This shocks people now? Anyone remember back in the 80's when she was REALLY controversial?

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
It doesn't "shock" me. I'm just surprised to see her disgrace another religion so shamelessly...given that she has her kabala spirituality side and all that. I would never mock a different religion, simply out of respect.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
It must be nice to have such cooperative religious organizations out there, willing to do all the advertising your tour needs.

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
Why do you assume she's mocking it?
First, because of where she was -- Russia. The dominant Christian group is Eastern Orthodoxy, arguably one of the most conservative branches of Christianity.
Second, her past. The "Like a Virgin" video comes to mind.

The 48-year-old singer has outraged many Christians in Europe with the mock crucifixion.

She began the show descending from the roof in a horse-rider's outfit but for the controversial segment wore a crimson blouse and a crown of thorns.
She knew she was angering Christians in Europe, but proceeded to do it in Russia.
You don't wear a crown of thorns in a concert.
Finally, it's Madonna.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
bg1256 said:
First, because of where she was -- Russia. The dominant Christian group is Eastern Orthodoxy, arguably one of the most conservative branches of Christianity.
How does that make it mockery?

bg1256 said:
Second, her past. The "Like a Virgin" video comes to mind.

She knew she was angering Christians in Europe, but proceeded to do it in Russia.
You don't wear a crown of thorns in a concert.
Finally, it's Madonna.
How does "Like a Virgin" mock Christianity? And the fact people get angry because of it doesn't mean it's mockery.

A crown of thorns and coming down on a cross is clearly trying to show her a Jesus. At least I can't think of any major figures in history having the same treatment and being known for it.

She has extremely bad taste for doing such a thing.

ffejrxx

Diabloii.Net Member
sounds like typical madonna, stirring up controversy wherever she goes

she put on a show for entertainment and a costume, if your not entertained get over it

alexzed

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah - a non-news story, just like all the others. I don't remember the Hindu reps getting all up in arms over the movie 'The Holy Grail' when a cow was launched over the castle walls.

Oh right. Because they have understanding.

alexzed

Diabloii.Net Member
DurfBarian said:
If she's seriously a threat to your religion you should probably find a more robust religion.
That requires independent thought and logic...two items that are not required for faith. Not taking a shot at you specifically, bg1256, just at the whole idea of being offended because the media tells you that you should be.

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member
Bunch of hypocrits. Hollywood routinely makes fun of Buddhist and Islamic symbols, and no one thinks anything about it.

kobold

Banned
alexzed said:
the movie 'The Holy Grail' when a cow was launched over the castle walls.
I loved that scene.

@ bg1256 she's pretty much an attention whore. I do think that what she did was pretty disrespectful, and I'm not trying to be blase about it, but I pretty much just wrote it off in my mind as a publicity stunt, and left it at that.