Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Oh, deary me.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by [exile], May 25, 2005.

1. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Oh, deary me.

I've been selected as salutatorian for the graduation ceremonies of my class. Kind of bothers me that I'm not valedictorian, but I digress.

So now I'm kind of stuck and don't know what to write about in my speech. As editor of my class' Yearbook, I had to put in a sort of personal message in there so that's already a lot of material I can't really re-use (like "We've made it through a tough challenge" or some other corniness like that). It was basically an extended second blurb.

Anyone have any ideas on what to write? I'm told it has to be about 3-5 minutes long, and has to "set the mood for the graduating ceremonies".

2. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

The one thing that shoudl be avoided in any speech, is a speech about writing the speech. Don't include anything about "I sat down to write this speech, and ..." All those speeches suck. Every one of them.

And don't talk about how it's a stepping stone into some greater future, or any of that jazz. Everyone gets enough of that. Tell a story that has some meaning, and a little bit of advice.

3. VaN_haMMerSteIn

VaN_haMMerSteIn IncGamers Member

Share how you felt when you first came to the school, and then progress through there, ending with a good lesson about something to take with you in life...

4. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

all graduation speeches suck, anything good, say it early because minds wander fast, don't worry about it too much

5. SelfBaisResistor

SelfBaisResistor IncGamers Member

This is so easy!!! Watch the Abraham Lincoln speech from Bill and Ted's excellent adventure. "And party on dudes!!!!!!"

6. [exile]

[exile] IncGamers Member

Anyone got any particularly insightful, tasteful, and appropriate/applicable quotes I could use?

Aside from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, of course. I assumed it was a given :lol:

7. greatrambino1981

greatrambino1981 IncGamers Member

doesn't matter what you say just don't wear pants. People will remember that more than a speech.

8. Stevinator

Stevinator IncGamers Member

if your school is small enough make the theme "we did it kicking and screaming and now we're men and women". Instead of talking about stepping stones and blah blah blah, talk about the memories, the lesson and the distance you've come.

tlak to the kids, what happened to specific people that taught everyone something. at least three of the incidents should be funny, but not something that person would be embarassed to hear in oyur speech. think cute stuff, not the time mary sue got her period in 4th hour history, but maybe the time the soccer team came in second at state and taught everyone a bit about dedication. maybe the time someone was spray painting something on a brdge and they fell in the river. maybe the time someone pulled the fire alarm and oyu thought about what was really important in life. maybe the time someone saved someone from drowning and you learned we can all be heros. I dunno...just don't mention drugs or sex. parents won't like it unless the funny stuff is "cute" or slightly to mildly edgy at best. and maybe you even poke a little fun at yourself. 3-5 stories could be done...if told right in 3-5 minutes and it'd be easy and meaningful to the students looking back...but forward thinking enough for the parent's worried aobut college.

9. Fallen Creation

Fallen Creation IncGamers Member

Tell a bunch of jokes. Leave the serious crap to the valedictorian. :thumbsup:

10. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Everyone in the audience usually dreads listening to graduation speeches. And with good reason, as most graduation speeches are the same boring crap over and over again. Inspirational words that sound incredibly stupid coming out of the mouth of someone who hasn't even experienced life yet.

You're not going to give a speech like MLK did, so don't even try. Just think about something you could say that people would actually believe. And if you can do it in a way that people remember, all the better.

The speech I gave as valedictorian involved me throwing rubber bouncy balls all over the place. Random strangers complimented me afterwards, a friend of mine asked for the paper copy I had with me, one of my teachers told me "it's the only graduation speech that's made any sense in the last 10 years," the newspaper reporter was utterly confused, and my class president (who always had a major stick up her rear) tried to scold me during my speech as the graduating class seated in front of the stage was collectively trying to catch all the balls and the rest of the audience was laughing.

Get creative...you've got 5 minutes to make people listen to you.

11. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

Aviod the word "wow", and look back, or memories in the same sectence.

Write it in a way that you would normally speak, not like you were handed to speech or one that conradicts your personality.

12. SilentMagik

SilentMagik IncGamers Member

Dont say something just because you think you're expected to say it. Tell them whats on your mind and how you feel. No matter what that'll be a good speach that people will remember.

Also dont make the mistake of writing down word for word what you're going to say. People will notice if you just read it from a paper and it will seem too rehearsed and you will stumble trying to remember the exact frasing. Instead make a brief list of things you would like to communicate and then improvise between them if you get what I mean. Dont get too hung-up on words.

Practice infront of a mirror or small audience like your family or a couple of friends until you can do it comfortably without stalling. Also remember to speak in a loud and clear voice so people can hear you properly. You have something important to say and they can't hear you if you're mumbling.

13. Raistlin Majere

Raistlin Majere IncGamers Member

I back this up 100% To hell with expecations. Make it something different. Have you listened to other Commencement speeches? most sound alike, but look into the ones that strike you as different. I imagine alot of people are sick to death of the "wow, look back at all those memories, stepping stone, all family, blah, blah, blah...."

*Snip*

That link was a little too wierd...

14. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

I'll rehash last year's valedictorian speech for you.

-Every day since I was in kindergarden I woke up and ate a bowl of cheerios.

-BLAH BLAH BLAH

-When I woke up on my first day of high school there were no cheerios, only shredded wheat. I did not like the shredded wheat. I was really afraid of all the changes and new things that were going to happen.

-BLAH BLAH BLAH talk about some experiences, through it all you always ate cheerios. BLAH BLAH BLAH

-Yesterday I woke up there were no cheerios, only shredded wheat. I ate the shredded wheat, and decided change really isn't so bad after all.

If you don't want to use that, you can use this quote from Finding Neverland.

-What a horrible candle-snuffing word. That's like saying, He can't climb that mountain, he's just a man, or That's not a diamond, it's just a rock. Just.

And then talk about how you were all just kids and now that you are going to the future you are just people.