Official Poll for MFL rules

DougTheHead2

Diabloii.Net Member
Official Poll for MFL rules

Here is the poll!

Question 1
What structure do you think the tournament should be? I can see the options as:

A. swiss (similar records play until t4 can be determined)
B. Brackets, double elimination (think March madness, but with a mulligan game ;) )
C. League, like with say divisions and a playoffs, more a style of professional sports



Question 2
What should the prize be?

A. A stash of donated items
B. A stash of entry fee items, like pgems and jools. (nice for the self found, who can count the rerolls and crafts for themselves)
C. A trophy of some sort (please suggest one if it pleases you)


Question 3
How do you think winners should be determined?

A. Just like the MFO, with a points table and all.
B. A best-item type, where we as a whole can judge exactly who came up with the riches. I would bet, about half the time, the winner will be easy to spot, with only 2 hours to try to get something good.
C. A panel of judges can pore over the results and appoint a winner. After the results thread is up and all done, I can compile the results and PM/email them out to the judges (3 or 5) who would then return the poll/questionairre with who they think won. Kindal like boxing judges, each may have their own opinion, and simple majority of judges wins
 

Cattleya

Diabloii.Net Member
Question 1:
(A) I like this option best, but C could be interesting (but more complicated).

Question 2:
(C) Cracked sash! (The other options are good as well.)
Edit: Ohh! Green Breast Plate!

Question 3:
(C) A is too much like a standard MFO, and B has the potential to really bog us down. I think having a pool of judges and then assigning 3 to a particular match-up would work best.
 

Colorless Green

Diabloii.Net Member
(1) this question depends entirely too much on the number of entrants you have. if you have only a few (say 8 or less), the best way to do it would probably be something round-robin style, where each week somebody plays against somebody they haven't played against yet. that would last for around two months, which iirc is the target time here. if you have a larger number of players, a swiss style is probably more appropriate, so you don't have to spend six months to determine a winner. double elimination, imo, is a bad idea, since many people would be eliminated extremely quickly, and it seems like it'd be better to keep people playing until the end. the league play method could be quite interesting if you set up some more details about how it would work, but at the moment i tend to agree about it being needlessly complicated.

(2) both B and C

(3) again, both B and C, basically. i agree that it will be fairly easy to spot the winners in the majority of cases. so, hopefully, in the majority of cases, the pair of competitors will just declare a winner between them. in the (hopefully) rare cases where there's a dispute, then either submit it to a panel of 5 judges, or just make a poll on the forum and let everyone decide.
 

JihadJesus

Diabloii.Net Member
1)B or C - I'd lean towards the 'pro league' style, but it would take forever.

2)C - No question about it.

3)C
 

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
Ischade said:
(1) this question depends entirely too much on the number of entrants you have. if you have only a few (say 8 or less), the best way to do it would probably be something round-robin style, where each week somebody plays against somebody they haven't played against yet. that would last for around two months, which iirc is the target time here. if you have a larger number of players, a swiss style is probably more appropriate, so you don't have to spend six months to determine a winner. double elimination, imo, is a bad idea, since many people would be eliminated extremely quickly, and it seems like it'd be better to keep people playing until the end. the league play method could be quite interesting if you set up some more details about how it would work, but at the moment i tend to agree about it being needlessly complicated.

(2) both B and C

(3) again, both B and C, basically. i agree that it will be fairly easy to spot the winners in the majority of cases. so, hopefully, in the majority of cases, the pair of competitors will just declare a winner between them. in the (hopefully) rare cases where there's a dispute, then either submit it to a panel of 5 judges, or just make a poll on the forum and let everyone decide.
I Agree with Ischade. But making several polls threads in forum every week is not a good idea. The whole thing should remain in 1 thread.
 

tweety

Diabloii.Net Member
1) I like the league idea

2) Don't care about prizes, so some sort of trophy is fine by me, maybe an avatar or some sort of special item

3) C
 

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
1. Not sure, I like an elimination type, however it really comes down to how many contestants you have.

2. I'd take a trophy. I won't accept stashes, so I'm a bit biased. Making a character named ''Winner'' play him upto anya's personalising quest and get a cracked sash would be very neat. You know, like the boxing championship belts :)

3. Personally I really liked the idea of 1 item checks. It will be very short rounds so I think the person with the most luck should win. Points won't do, however there will allways be a question which item will be best. So setting a jury might be a good idea..

''Mil & Sam''
 

Gabriel74

Diabloii.Net Member
gotta go with brackets. People may be eliminated quickly, but this could be a frequently reacurring thing, and I think we want quick elimination, that way no one gets burned out and keeps the "eye of the tiger" for their next chance at the title.

gotta go with a title belt (trophy). I am sure someone could get to Anya quick with an appropriately named char and personalize it. "champions sash" or some such.

panel of judges is probably best here.
 

Cauthon

Diabloii.Net Member
1). Either A or B. Never played a swiss league in anything, so it could be interesting, and I think a "pro league" set up will take too long.

2). A trophy is probably the best. I like the cracked sash, or a special avatar, or quite possibly a personalized Cathan's Seal for the championship ring. May I suggest that in addition, players may then add "wagers" to their individual matches of gems/jewels as they see fit?

3). I think a combination of B & C are the best; each player selects one item from their two hour run and puts it up - usually the winner will be obvious, but if not we have a panel of judges. Or else, each item gets put up and five other contestants vote the winner to avoid any disagreements between players. We want to keep this as simple and as streamlined as possible, I think.
 

Hrus

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't like cracked sash. Prize for the winner should be a medal, so it should be personalized AMULET. And it should be gold. I suggest Nokozan Relic.
 

Sint Nikolaas

Diabloii.Net Member
Hrus said:
I don't like cracked sash. Prize for the winner should be a medal, so it should be personalized AMULET. And it should be gold. I suggest Nokozan Relic.
Couldn't care, I suggested a sash because of the belt idea, however every trophy has the same effect. Maybe an avatar could be fun too, however I like my avatar at the moment and I think others too..

''Mil & Sam''
 

DougTheHead2

Diabloii.Net Member
Sint Nikolaas said:
Couldn't care, I suggested a sash because of the belt idea, however every trophy has the same effect. Maybe an avatar could be fun too, however I like my avatar at the moment and I think others too..

''Mil & Sam''
I finally get the belt thing, like a boxing/wrestling belt. I don't really like the sash, maybe a plated belt or something heftier, looks more like trophy belt. Maybe a bladebuckle?
 

DougTheHead2

Diabloii.Net Member
Ok, this thread has served its purpose.

Q1: the format will be determined by the # of entrants, with brackets the first choice for <32 members, and a league for more. I will split it up randomly into divisions, approximately 4, where the playoffs will have the top 8, 4 division winners and the 4 best records of non-div winners. Matchups will be generated randomly, with an emphasis on intradivisional play.

Q2: The prize will be a trophy. I am still accepting nominations for an appropriate trophy.

Q3: On any matchups where the winner is not obvious, a poll will be sent to 4 judges, determined randomly weekly. I chose 4 because I dont want to deal with having a contestant decide his own outcome, and if one questionaire isnt returned no big deal.


Sign up!
 

chicagofan51

Diabloii.Net Member
DougTheHead2 said:
I finally get the belt thing, like a boxing/wrestling belt. I don't really like the sash, maybe a plated belt or something heftier, looks more like trophy belt. Maybe a bladebuckle?
I really like this for a trophy (a plated belts looks a lot like a boxing/wrestling title belt). Make the personalizing quest character's name MSL_Champion. This is something I would love to play for.

If we can sign up here, I'd love to nominate my Frost Zealot, Kahleil. He might only be an 11 seed, but he did find Griswold's Shield once :)

EDIT: Sorry, just saw the signup thread here http://forums.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=330214
 
Top