Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Official DIII evidence

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by skycing, Apr 16, 2008.

1. skycing

skycing IncGamers Member

Official DIII evidence

Diablo 3 is already published for opposition as a sequel at the USPTO.
    The same was done for D1, D2, D2LOD, WOW, Burning Crusade, and the Wrath of the Lich King.

The mark has been live since 2005. Blizzard published it for opposition in early 2007 and it is undergoing administrative setbacks (just like so many others).

Starcraft: Ghost's mark is "Dead and Abandoned"

BattleChat is awaiting opposition. I speculate BattleChat 1.0 being deployed in tandem with D3, but I haven't really looked very far into that yet.

2. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

Re: Official D3 evidence

Nice find, anything that strengthens speculation about DIII, though now it looks like it's becoming less and less like speculation and more a reality :smile:

3. skycing

skycing IncGamers Member

Yea there is no better evidence than the legal paper trail.
    Trademarks don't require multiple submissions into their database to stay live, so this is the next best thing to Blizzard announcing it.
    There are currently 3 different Diablo trademarks and one for Lords of Destruction.
    Diablo II: Salvation is Dead, but not abandoned (like Starcraft: Ghost), because the third one covers software and motion pictures.

4. Bloodedmayhem

Bloodedmayhem IncGamers Member

Gotta give it to you sky, one nice find!

BK,

5. Jaquiezz

Jaquiezz IncGamers Member

Re: Official DIII evidence

Source? I'm always highly skeptical of things like these.

BTW, just because things like domain names and such are taken, doesn't mean its going to happen. SC2's domain name was taken before SC1 even was out. They always plan for a sequel, but it doesn't mean it will happen.

6. skycing

skycing IncGamers Member

From the original post...

There is nothing to be skeptical about, it is law binding.

7. skycing

skycing IncGamers Member

This is irrelevant. Blizzard uses Blizzard.com
    I would also like to mention that any claims of there being no Diablo3 are now extraordinary claims.
    If you wish to push your idea, you need proof. Sorry, I don't accept rumors.

8. Elfjes

Elfjes IncGamers Member

can you post a link to the trademark?

9. Victorinox

Victorinox IncGamers Member

10. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

http://www.blizzard.com/us/jobopp/art-lead-3d-environment.html

Above is the current job offereing at blizzard. This job begins with the description "Blizzard Entertainment, the developer of Diablo and Diablo II" hint hint. What's interesting to me is some of the requirements:
    "The ability to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers" So do they have the programming and game design done?

Another interesting thing is that the candidate must be "experienced in modeling and [working with] texturing assets for a diverse visual range of environments".

That sounds like D3 to me. So the graphics aren't done, it also notes that there's a need for illustrative artistic skills. Does this mean they know what the graphics should be like but need to start with the illustrations for communication purposes with all the D3 artists.

They've got the premise for the game down it sounds like. Now they've got to work it, build it and test it. In the old days that would mean a 18 month process at minimum, but these day who can tell. :undecided:

Its odd that none of the jobs on Blizz employment page that have the suffix "next-gen mmo" have any mention of Diablo or Diablo 2 in the description.

The job titles that do mention Diablo and Diablo 2 are:
    • 3D Environment Artist
    • Lead 3D Environment Artist (above)
    • 3D Background Artist
    • Associate 3D Environment Artist
    • 3D Environment Artist
    • Senior 3D Environment Artist
    • 3D Level Designer
    • Lead 3D Environment Artist
    • Senior 3D Level Designer
    • Associate 3D Level Designer
    • Lead 3D Level Designer

All the other positions don't mention Diablo or Diablo 2. Another interesting thing is the position for Assistant Historian.

11. Turtleism

Turtleism IncGamers Member

Interesting indeed, this is another good point towards Diablo 3 being created. Mainly due to the fact that Diablo 1 and 2 both used weapons that where at one stage real, cutlass's, short sword's, long bow's and dagger's to name a few.

Perhaps we could be seeing a shift in direction for weapons, perhaps we will be seeing weapons founded in the older asia as we have already recieved a dose of middle ages european weapons. I see a shift towards guns and explosives unlikely, but ninja stars and katana's maybe on the way in.

12. Victorinox

Victorinox IncGamers Member

This just struck me, what if they would place the Diablo universe in a much more contemporary setting? It would be sort of heretic I guess, but the guys from Hellgate London, must have gotten their ideas from somewhere ;)

13. Gamble

Gamble IncGamers Member

It seems by the job postings that DIII is imminent. While reading through all the "Top Secret" job postings, I found some interesting morsels of information.

• Game Physics/Collision Programmer - Next-Gen MMO
    In the job description for this position Blizzard is asking for; "applicants should possess superlative math skills and a discerning eye for detail" and "Strong math skills (linear algebra, trig, matrix/quaternion math."

A game with very basic Physics Collision would be a point and click type game.
    A game with very advanced Physics Collision would be a FPS with a reactive enviroment.

This tells me that Blizzard is past the idea stage of Diablo III and is looking to start developing the game engine. This step is in conjunction with level and enviroment design but before any content is actually developed.
    This also tells me that Blizzard is starting from scratch on a new game. Whatever it is they are working on will not be anything like WOW.

14. Aranock

Aranock IncGamers Member

15. skycing

skycing IncGamers Member

You can search their E-commerce for all owners by the name blizzard.
    The Diablo mark appears for every game except for one... registered in 2005.

You cannot link to the search results. You need to log your own session.

16. mouseman

mouseman IncGamers Member

Recruiting a historian doesn't mean that the game will have more historical accurate details. The most important craft of historian is the ability to make something real - to know how people would react, to capture the causalities of history to another context and make it live its own life. It's really more about the big tendencies of history than just details.

I think many games could use a historian lore-wise and especially in game testing. So many games are just so static and have this feeling of being too far-fetched. Movies, too, but they are already using historical advisories much more than games.

The job was about creating lore to all blizzard's worlds and also editing text, organizational skills and more. Historians have to work with immense masses of information which they have to compress, edit and categorize effectively. These are very useful crafts in game development and I'm glad the industry seems to have noticed it (It seems that there is another historian already there, and this is just an assistant's job offer).

And yes, I study history :)

17. Mestre Crjspim

Mestre Crjspim IncGamers Member

Commercially, Diablo III would be an absolute success, I have no doubts about that. Some off you have said no matter what, you would buy it immediatly after the release, as I would definitly do. However, a new sequel of this great game has to be something near perfection. The community of Diablo fans is huge, the firts two games were amazing, the expectations are higher than ever, and if I might say, higher than any other videogame to date, the market is filled with great RPG's specially MMO's... Blizzard can't expose the company and the "Diablo" franchise do a mass failiure - in criticism and acceptance in the videogames industry -, if the game's not good enough or has no evolution from the previous experiences. It's no news for any of you that great brands have known rough days due to bad planning, bad game conception or whatever (one game pops to mind: Tomb Raider). I belive that if Diablo III is in the making or will be in the future, they will really gonna take their time creating, producing and releasing it...

BTW, I searched for some gossip or some information on Diablo III and the following link poped in, but notice the date...it's from May 2006, 2 year ago. I really don't know if it has any credibility, so I would appreciate comments.

http://www.techtree.com/techtree/jsp/article.jsp?print=1&article_id=73003&cat_id=699

18. korialstraz

korialstraz IncGamers Site Pal

I'm a bit amazed this hasn't been mentioned yet (as far as I have seen).

So are we getting a prequel?! :scratch:

19. Mestre Crjspim

Mestre Crjspim IncGamers Member

A prequel could be the best way to keep Diablo in Diablo III (dicussion is somewhere in another topic)...

20. erimatbrad

erimatbrad IncGamers Member

Apparently, according to the owner of diablo3.com, Blizzard has purchased the domain from them, which might lead further plausibility to the cause.