Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Official 1.13 SPF Ladder: Rules, Signups, Status, and Discussion d

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by mattinm, Mar 16, 2010.

1. spigot

spigot Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Official 1.13 SPF Ladder: Rules, Signups, Status, and Discussion

Finally got my Barb into Hell after not having much play time recently. Managed to sort myself out with a pretty awesome pitrunning setup, with a tyrant club Black, dual ravens, and equipment totalling up to 36 PDR which is handy against it's largely non-elemental damaging denizens :yes:

Just worked my way through the rest of act 1 tonight, but my still pitiful resistances are keeping me from moving forward. I've just found an Um, so I think I'm going to make a duress once I find a nice 3 socket armor... or possibly a crescent moon if I can nab a 3 socket PB.

2. Nexeis

Nexeis Diabloii.Net Member

that sounds very interesting :p and would be a much easier way to gain exp with my blizz sorc than pindle runs over and over T_T but would i still be allowed to have the char on the ladder if it is getting exp from mp games?

3. Skjolde

Skjolde Diabloii.Net Member

I present to you...

Thomh!

Paladin, Zealot, SC

It's almost 3 in the morning and the GF wants me to go to sleep, so I'll post an proper update in a day or two. But the goal for Thomh is to be my CS and/or baalrunner. I've just felt like melee after running around with my sorceress, in what feels a very long time:)

Not to say that i'm letting my sorc go, i'm still going for the top of ladder;)

4. Colorless Green

Colorless Green Diabloii.Net Member

If it's getting exp from MP games exclusively with other ladder players, yes. If it's getting exp from MP games with even a single non-ladder character, no.

-CG

5. mattinm

mattinm Diabloii.Net Member

What CG said :thumbsup:

6. Sparks

Sparks Diabloii.Net Member

My untwinked Barbarian is now level 27. He has Battle Orders and Shout, both are only about 30 seconds with one skill. It would cost a lot of mana and be tedious to keep reapplying these. Shall I pump Battle Orders to say level 4 to get at least a minute's worth or forget about them for now and pump Frenzy for more damage?

I had 350 life, before BO, going into Act 3 which I thought wasn't too bad as my Fishymancer, with 60% block, had that entering Hell ;). However I died faster than you can say "Full Rejuvination Potion" when I was surrounded by Sszark the Burning and his minions. I now know he's Extra Strong and Cursed, ouch.

I had 35 unused stat points so I've got my health up to 489, before BO. I bought a Sounding Broad Sword from Hratli which I have on switch. I spent an hour shopping for a second, whilst watching TV, but didn't manage to get a second one. So without pumping BO it will still be expensive and tedious to keep reapplying it.

Should I use all my stats in Vitality for now? I got Strength to 60 but I'm afraid I'll find a nice weapon and need some points for more Strength or Dexterity.

Any advice would be appreciated! Untwinked melee is indeed a challenge :whistling:.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is all on /players 8, including bosses.

Hardwin, SC, Barbarian, Frenzy/Swords, level 27

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  7. Colorless Green

(1) I'd recommend getting BO up to at least 5 hard points (if not 10) sooner rather than later.

(2) I'd recommend not bothering to keep shout going until later in the game (i.e. when you enter hell,) by which point it should be synergized into a decent duration.

(3) For Sszark, try making use of taunt and howl. Howl if they run up to you, but ideally stay a bit out of their detection range and just taunt one or two of them to come to you to get pwned. That way you can take out the minions individually and then face sszark by himself.

(4) What are you using for weapons?

(5) Feel free to dump into vita. 60 str is enough for most things you're likely to get in mid normal, and even if you find something that needs 100 str or something, it's not that hard to get a few more levels or socket some gems for +str if you're impatient. If you're really impatient, you can always respec.

-CG

8. Sparks

King's Grace Broad Sword and Strength Scimitar. I put Strength in a Scimitar as it's the fastest Sword, which is good for the Crushing Blow. Broad Sword was the highest Sword for which I could shop a socketed version, Long Swords are always magic! I went for two Swords and put a point in Sword Mastery. My Rogue has a Zephyr Composite Bow.

It did take a while to get all the Runes needed from the Countess! I'm killing pretty fast on /players 8 and was chuffed I could do both Andariel and Duriel like that. I doubt I'd bother spending all that time getting the Runes if I played untwinked again. I'd try and make do with 2 x Steel Fail which are far easier to make.

Thanks for the other tips!

9. Colorless Green

A quick source of CB on switch (i.e. a pair of strength scimitars or whatever) is a good thing to keep around for bosses (if you're playing them on p8) and izual or whatever, but in general I'd recommend against it as your main weapon. Sadly most of the other RW's available at low levels aren't really great for early melee either IMO.

You might want to try either the sword-rerolling recipe (using ruby/ies to create a long sword with life leech) hoping to get a decent +damage prefix, or failing that just stick some elemental damage gems into a quick socketed weapon. Shopped +ed% blue weapons can also often outperform the earlier RW weapons, and it generally isn't hard to find a few decent rares (though it probably isn't worth it to gamble for weapons - they can get expensive and you can get better returns on your investment gambling boots/gloves/belt/etc at lower levels and rings/ammys at higher levels.)

Something else which I like to do when playing untwinked melee barbarians is to put one single hard point in each of sword, axe, and mace masteries. The first point gets you a sizable boost to the stats, but subsequent points (while helpful) are much smaller boosts. Using the single point in all three masteries keeps your weapon options open for very little loss. With the advent of respeccing, there is no longer any endgame detriment either (not that two wasted skill points is a huge loss endgame on an untwinked char,) because when you reach hell and have committed to using certain weapons, you can just respec and max the applicable mastery.

Lastly, when considering bases, don't forget that barbs can wield two handed swords with one hand.

-CG

edit: Also, the three chipped gem reroll recipe is a very good idea at early levels. It sets the ilvl to 25, which is actually an increase in a lot of cases if you're in early normal. You can get some decent +damage% or other useful mods, and you still get the sockets to throw in some spare elemental damage gems.

edit2: If all else fails, use the savage polearm recipe to generate an extremely strong (compared to your position in the game) weapon and forego frenzy until you can acquire two strong frenzy weapons, at which point you can pawn the polearm off on your merc. However, if you get exceptional polearms out of the recipe you might need substantially more than the 60 str I told you would be enough earlier...

10. Thomh

Thomh Diabloii.Net Member

It`s a good thing you`re playing again CG:) Quality posts and quick replies, there is nothing left for anyone else to answer:)

To be on-topic: I`ve started a Hunger bear for the nth time and I`m looking forward to deeds;) It`s such a terrible build that I`ve never managed to guardian, but I won`t give up. Good thing Azurewrath has such low-level requirements too, I`m thinking Mauling through Normal and NM followed by leveling in the pits until I`m old enough to wear the weapon.

11. Nibiru-

Nibiru- Diabloii.Net Member

Ran my Necro to level 60, currently in A3 NM, still running /p8. Managed to find some starter MF gear. I'm planning on pausing to run hell pits when I get the motivation to finish Nightmare. I'm fighting with myself on whether or not my 13 points in Poison Nova are paying off. I'm willing to continue with it considering my main skills are maxed, hopefully when I get the skill/synergy maxed it will pay off against physical immunes.

DJ-Bilepuddle

Fishymancer, SC

12. Sparks

@Colorless Green:

Thanks for the ideas, some useful cube recipes to consider. I still like King's Grace: 100% ED, elemental damage, 7% life leech. That's hard to beat. It is expensive Runes for my level and you need a base though.

The sword recipe is ilvl 30 which allows up to Savage, that won't beat what I have at the moment but once I get stronger bases in Act IV and V it may be useful.

That Savage polearm recipe is kinda cool, especially as you can get an exceptional from it! I'm using a Rogue at the moment, she's using a Zephr bow which I like, strong elemental damage again. I was going to switch to a Barb in Act V as I like the idea of two Barbs but then I'd lose Might aura.

Hmm, style or substance? :crazyeyes:

13. Skjolde

Skjolde Diabloii.Net Member

After some thought i decided not to level a zealot. Instead i might aswell use the full IK set I have laying in my stash. So..

I present to you:

Thomh, IK whirler, SC

14. sequana

sequana Diabloii.Net Member

I want to brag everywhere :):

Wheee

Not a Guardian yet, but she is my precious already!

Astra, lvl 91, very rich and proud Conqueror

15. mattinm

mattinm Diabloii.Net Member

Current Ladder positions, based on experience. I could find any posts for players with more experience that aren't currently using the Ladder website, so this is a reflection of those standings. Please let me know if I overlooked your post, and I'll slot the character into the standings.

Next update in a couple weeks.

SC Ladder
    Code:
    [b]Player            Character       Class         Level    Experience[/b]
    mattinm           Polgara         Sorceress     95       2,661,670,996
    ColorlessGreen    Sookie          Sorceress     95       2,565,364,255
    frozzzen          Inoe            Sorceress     94       2,286,529,946
    bobwilder         Wynne           Sorceress     93       2,100,868,629
    nubikoen          Novice          Sorceress     91       1,930,855,950
    Joosh             Winry           Sorceress     90       1,764,961,585
    Dunedain          Ramrod          Necromancer   90       1,715,291,941
    Skjoldmose        Nico            Sorceress     90       1,681,373,498
    skiffcz           Carmen          Sorceress     90       1,679,187,810
    Knuckleheads      Pikachu         Assassin      90       1,627,107,958
    HC Ladder
    Code:
    [b]Player            Character       Class         Level    Experience[/b]
    scrcrw            Irene           Sorceress     92       2,000,000,000
    sequana           Astra           Sorceress     91       1,767,979,514
    [i]Thomh             Idun*           Sorceress     90       1,732,110,312[/i]
    Thomh             Pazuzu          Druid         87       1,290,450,146
    Thomh             Thomh           Necromancer   84       1,009,031,247
    mattinm           Auril           Sorceress     83         895,922,811
    Thomh             Skjoldmose      Paladin       83         891,931,240
    scrcrw            Axe             Barbarian     83         891,501,943
    [i]skoolbus          skoolbus*       Necromancer   80         735,246,499[/i]
    [i]spigot            IaDocNotaNecro* Necromancer   74         432,237,914[/i]
    * RIP - Never forget their deeds of valor.

16. Sparks

I'm now in Act V and I've found/gambled a few items that are making things more fun:

3% Mana steal Amulet - Doesn't sound like much but keeps my Frenzy Barb's mana bulb full! Up till now I've been using +mana/kill items and this has been getting less effective as the monsters are taking longer to kill.

3% Life steal Ring - Again not much but that totals 10% with one weapon and 8% with the other one. I only have to pot against hard hitting mobs or bosses.

Circlet with 1-70 Lightning Damage, pretty awesome for my level :D.

Bloodrise Morning Star - This actually dropped in Act III but I've decided to use it instead of my Crushing Blow Scimitar. It is better for normal monsters and I switch to the Scimitar against bosses and Possessed monsters.

I now have a point in both Sword Mastery and Mace Mastery. I've pumped BO to level 6 base so it lasts two minutes with +3 skills from 2 x Sounding weapons and BC.

I've met one PI so far and he was easy as both myself and my Rogue do lot's of elemental damage.

Hardwin, SC, level 38 Frenzy Barbarian

17. BabyLink

BabyLink Diabloii.Net Member

Worked on my Blizzballer this week. I just killed normal mephisto with almost no trouble. One of his cold bullets ate a big part of my life bulb, but a small rejuv solved the problem. I played all the way at /players 8 and I intend to do so for the rest of normal and probly nm too.

Stuff found/made so far:

Hsarus boots
    Isenharts armor <-- given by meph
    Stormguild (large shield) <-- given by meph too
    Stealth, with runes from the countess
    10% fcr magic ring x2 and ammy.

I haven't seen any cold immunes yet, with the exception of coldworm, but my prayer merc with a gemmed (emerald from andy, flawed ruby and flawed sapphire) bardiche killed the bug easily

Sarah, SC, Level 29 Blizzballer sorceress

18. bobwilder

bobwilder Diabloii.Net Member

Golden boy is Patriarch now.

Playing through hell was fun with an IK barb. Whirling into big crowds of monsters without any worries. The only slightly annyoing things were mana burn mobs - but nothing a couple of potions couldn't fix.

SC FAM Ladder chars:
    Wynne, lvl 93, blizz sorc (mat)
    Sten, lvl 87, IK WW barb (pat)
    Alistair, lvl 58, frost zealot (act 3 nightmare)

19. Sparks

Mat, Pat and full IK? Nice going! :nod:

20. bobwilder

bobwilder Diabloii.Net Member

Hehe, thanks! :girly:

I'm thinking about setting up a new ladder tournament but I don't know if the idea I have is enough to justify a whole tourney. :scratchchin:
    I guess I'll just throw it out there and see how it goes. Probably gonna post it tomorrow.