Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Off-Topic in the OTF

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BobCox2, Aug 16, 2012.

1. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Assuming that's addressed to me, I'm both. Plus I'm drinking so I'm quite relaxed, thankyouverymuchsir.
    Liar. You NEVER look at my articles.
    You need more information, obviously. I achieved the "Eagle" rank, so I'm somewhat qualified to answer. American "Explorer" Scouting is coed (meaning mixed male & female) at age 14+ It's a often weaker program in some ways, more like the British hostelers, because girls aren't physically capable in similar activities to Boy Scouts & are generally uninterested in such exploits.

This new effort is the Boy Scouts 'poaching' tomboys & lesbians from the Girl Scouts program, (which is rightfully pissed off since it's a loss of revenue & membership). However, the entire Scouting corporate entity is really to blame; once you take a leap off the slippery slope of your sworn oath not meaning what it says it means, you really don't have room to complain when it bites your arse.

"Morally Straight" in the Boy Scouts would include not promoting homosexuality, because to quote Lord Baden-Powell (the organizational founder) “Scouting is nothing less than applied Christianity.” If you don't promote & endorse homosexuality, rather than just being "tolerant", you're considered EEEEBIILLL by New Left doctrine.

Rephrased, I knew there were queer kids in my Troop 40 years ago. I have queer kids in my Christian version of Scouts currently. Kids are personalities in formation & the most damaging thing one can do is claim that to have a thought is somehow the fixed mold that a child must conform to. The New Left condemns adherence to tradition in the concept of trade schools or family businesses, but yet demands it is suicide-worthy to impose regarding aberrant sexuality?

Obviously, Progressive hatred of traditional religious adherence & New Left's "Liberals" deep anti-Christian hatred can't tolerate these traditional mindsets' existence, for the same reasons that the Young Men's Christian Association had to be blasphemed & made anti-Christian...

Probably NSFW since I've blocked video... {EDIT- just watched it to ensure it didn't violate forum rules, but I wouldn't want to have my boss see me watching it}

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  2. LozHinge the Unhinged

LozHinge the Unhinged IncGamers Member

Why are so many folk so focused upon the focus of other people's interest in their orifice's of choice?

It all makes about as much sense as my question ^

Leopold Stotch likes this.
  3. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, simply put, there's a lot of people who like children's orifices A LOT & want to indoctrinate them sexually. The argument can easily be made that such people are found on both teams (Harvey, et al), but the "switch hitter" team has far higher rates of things that are socially damaging.

Not all such behavior is actual sexual abuse, though much of it is - there's a lot of people who take up positions in either camp because of their own personal background or trauma. One has to evaluate whether such interests are for the promotion of the general welfare, or a different agenda.

Well, there's a reason conservatives support conservative ideas. There's no such explanation for you. :p

LozHinge the Unhinged likes this.
  4. kamap

kamap IncGamers Member

For now they are male but who knows what they'll be later.
    Do I get my badge now?

5. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

Do ears count? I mean... *I* don't like it, but I'm not gonna shame someone for enjoying the opening of an ear. What about nostrils? Again, not to shame anyone, but I will throw up on your face if you try to even touch my nostril with your finger.

"Poor man's Coldplay."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA! Oh man.... Some people are so dumb. And, for once, it's not me. :grin: :cloud9:

6. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

I (think I) recognize the host from Red Eye. They're just turning a fossil of a joke on its ear (both Coldplay and Muse have been referred to as "poor man's Radiohead" for decades).

Speaking of RH, I scored tickets to see Thom Yorke in December. Super excited for that! (On top of that, I get to see Robert Plant in February. I'm a lucky boy.)

7. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch IncGamers Member

I tend to enjoy the earlier stuff of both Coldplay and Muse. Not super into Radiohead the way you are but I like a few songs. I found it particularly amusing because of the (small amount) of history I know about these bands; the fact that Radiohead has been around for so long, Coldplay (and most likely Muse) come after them... to say that they are "poor man's Radiohead" is a riot to me.

Also, and I could be VERY WRONG (I usually am) but Muse =/= Radiohead. Like, not at all. I don't imagine myself saying, "Oh, hey if you're into Radiohead, check out Muse because they are similar and have a similar vibe." From what I've heard of Muse they are more pop-py and bubbly (lol puns) and Radiohead. . . just no? Lol.

(please feel free to correct me)

8. Dredd

Some of Muse's electronic elements, lyrical themes and vocal delivery have led to comparisons. It's very minor, however, and shouldn't be taken seriously at all. It's more of a joke (to troll RH fans with) than anything.

... now I want a t-shirt with the weeping man from the Amnesiac album cover and a caption that reads:
    strange
    malnourished
    sad

:D

9. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Yes, it's Greg Gutfeld - bastards at FOX killed RedEye but he's still got a Sunday show. Nothing he says should be taken seriously.

He can be witty but he often uses trite, worn out schtick, like stupid self-effacing homophobic jokes (like having a fetish for cabana boys).

10. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Ok, new tack/topic. Did you know that it's 500 years since Luther posted his Theses?

I heard this proposition in church today, & it seemed like a great precis to use when someone's furiously crapping on Christianity in order to stroke themselves over their resultant innate superiority.

• I'm under no obligation to tell you how much I enjoyed my breakfast this morning, or tell you all about it.
    • I AM under a moral obligation to tell you there's a bomb in the building, & give you any information that might save your life.
    • Christians essentially believe - or rather, know - that there's a bomb in the building.

11. LozHinge the Unhinged

Just a snippet of info, Merv, if you will. Did breakfast involve bacon? I just need to know. I'm sure you understand.

12. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Of course I know. We will even have an extra holiday here tomorrow :)

I don't have a problem with others dreaming up their moral superiority. The more obvious their unfunded arrogance is, the less efforts I have to take to feel superior to them and the less reasons I need to justify my arrogant feelings of superiority over them.

Contempt is more delicious than hate.

Dredd likes this.
  13. LozHinge the Unhinged

I prefer disdain - even less effort involved with disdain.

Dredd likes this.
  14. krischan

Hmm, my online vocabulary says that contempt and disdain are pretty much the same. However, contempt sounds more harsh while disdain sounds more poetic, so I agree to your choice of words.

15. LozHinge the Unhinged

Also, disdain means merely raising an eyebrow whereas contempt involves sneering, narrowing the eyes, using all kinds of facial muscles ... sounds utterly exhausting.

16. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Begging both your pardons, but why would someone have contempt - or disdain - for someone who earnestly believes they're warning you of a bomb in the building?

Furthermore, why would the person who believes there's a bomb believe themselves to be superior to everyone else? Simply because they think others aren't informed?

EDIT Loz, believe it or not, I frequently eat soup for breakfast. The Thai version is called Khao Thom.

17. Dredd

I have a preference for the more zen-like state of "indifference". Both contempt and disdain burn unnecessary calories. For an added bonus, one does not have a need to ...

... because you don't even care enough to feel superior. It is the ultimate in effortless, guilt-free smugness.

18. krischan

Ah yes, smugness, that was the word I was looking for.

@jmervyn: I meant those who confuse their beliefs with a kind of truth that everybody has to agree to. I think that there are more of them among atheists and I meant to address them.

19. LozHinge the Unhinged

Bomb?

What bomb? Was there a bomb threat? What happened to the OTF alarm system?
    For Goat's sake, I could have been blown to smithereens or buried under about a hundred tonnes of old threads.

20. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Wasn't at all clear, sorry.

Yes there are a number of Christians who could fall in that category to be sure, but those I've encountered have been far less offensive than the militant Atheists of the same variety. Surprisingly, Penn has the same opinion, yet he IS a 'capital A' Atheist.

I tried to explain the Atheist silliness of delineating belief between agnosticism, atheism, & Atheism to my Christian boss. He became a bit irritated because he thought I was talking down to him, though I think he grasped that I was explaining "Atheist" views.

Among us 'Evangelical' Christians, I've occasionally argued with 'Young Earth' Creationists (personally I believe "Intelligent Design" is valid as have most scientists in history, but often not well-considered in the modern era). In similar fashion, I don't discuss drinking with the church I take care of the boys at, because they conjured up a tee-totaller interpretation of Scripture that I find unsupportable. There's plenty of silly things that religion can encompass...

but I'd always rather deal with Christians dying from being bitten while handling snakes, than with any Muslim who believe that snuffing another human is a ticket to Paradise. There's far more of them than there are of the most wack-job Christians.
    Don't worry about it Lozzy, everything's fine. Your table is reserved for you... why here's the maitre d' now!