Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Odiseuss the eye of a hurricane - PvP Windy

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Gripphon, May 27, 2016.

1. Gripphon

Gripphon IncGamers Member

There are things you can't fight, acts of God. If you see a hurricane or tornado coming, you have to get out of the way.

[​IMG]

Odiseuss is typical PvP wind druid with max block option. I've decided to open thread about him because I think maybe it could help other players to build and balance their wind druids to play them. ATM only 2 players play windy in PvP which is a shame since character has a lot of potential and is actually strong. Building functional windy is really easy, you don't even need some special gear for it. Okay, getting 19+ fcr amulet could be a problematic part, but even without skills there windy could be quite a force to deal with, and it is always possible to use fcr rings to need less fcr on amulet...

Name is inspired by Odysseus, I just made my own variation of it. It has no other connection.

Character name: Odiseuss
    Class: Druid
    Level: 95
    Build: Windy
    Power Level: scouter a-splodes

Stat Points:
    Strength: 85 (156 with Enigma, 186 with Stormshield)
    Dexterity: 175 (208 with gear aka max block with Eld Stormshield)
    Vitality: rest
    Energy: base, not important

Skills:
    20 Cyclone Armor
    20 Twister
    20 Tornado
    20 Hurricane
    1 Grizzly
    2 Dire Wolf (gives hp to grizzly)
    20 Oak
    1 prerequisites

It takes druid level 94 to maximize Windy this way. Other option what some players use is to put 1 in Lycanthropy, 1 Werebear, 1 Maul and 1 Shock Wave. They tend to transform to bears in some matches to shockwave their opponents before proceeding to kill them. Idea is simple, Shock Wave is similar to Mindblast, puts swirly overhead of opponents making them being stunned upon any damage they take. Shock Wave can easily last over 7 seconds this way. Normally my Oak would then have 17 invested skillpoints if I go that route. I might, sounds fun, even if not that useful in most matches.

EQUIPMENT

This windy has 2 major gear options - either to go for 163 fcr breakpoint aka vita route, or he has maxblock route with Stormshield. With maxblock I aimed also to have 50% damage reduction, unlike 43% you naturally get from only Stormshield and Enigma. Most of the time I use maxblock option since every time there seem to be at least one opponent I could use it against. Also equipment aims to give me as much life as possible with nice damage output, and also very welcomed 5% max fire resist that is great to have against Firesorcs.

Block setup:

Life: 5578
    Mana: 831
    Tornado: 4537-4787 (~793 PvP dmg)
    Hurricane: 2382-2497 (summoned with switch, 103 PvP dmg on 75 res)
    Cyclone Armor: 2454 damage sorb

[​IMG]

Helm: [email protected] 11%dr 2os CoA with fhr/dex jewel and Pruby
    Code:
     Crown of Ages
    Corona
    Defense: 362
    Durability: 40 of 50
    Required Level: 82
    Required Strength: 174
    Fingerprint: 0x5d68faf5
    Item Level: 87
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    Indestructible
    +1 to All Skills
    +37% Faster Hit Recovery
    +50% Enhanced Defense
    +113 Defense
    +1 to Strength
    +9 to Dexterity
    +38 to Life
    All Resistances +30
    Damage Reduced by 11%
    2 Sockets (2 used)
    Socketed: Plague Heart
    Socketed: Perfect Ruby 
    Body: Enigma LP
    Amulet: 2/20/res crafted
    Code:
     Corruption Wing
    Amulet
    Required Level: 89
    Fingerprint: 0x553840af
    Item Level: 93
    +2 to Druid Skill Levels
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +10 to Mana
    Regenerate Mana 9%
    Lightning Resist +33%
    Fire Resist +30% 
    Weapon: 1.07 Wizardspike with fhr/9dex/27PR jewel
    Code:
     Wizardspike
    Bone Knife
    One Hand Damage: 23 - 49
    Indestructible
    Required Level: 61
    Required Strength: 38
    Required Dexterity: 75
    Fingerprint: 0x391c6d24
    Version: Expansion
    +50% Faster Cast Rate
    +7% Faster Hit Recovery
    +9 to Dexterity
    Increase Maximum Mana 15%
    +190 to Mana (Based on Character Level)
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    All Resistances +95
    Poison Resist +27%
    1 Sockets (1 used)
    Socketed: Plague Eye 
    Shield: Stormshield with Eld rune
    Belt: fcr/fhr/strength/life/LR crafted
    Code:
     Bramble Lash
    Sharkskin Belt
    Defense: 32
    Durability: 11 of 14
    Required Level: 85
    Required Strength: 20
    Fingerprint: 0xed0321ea
    Item Level: 95
    +9% Faster Cast Rate
    +24% Faster Hit Recovery
    +28 to Strength
    +36 to Life
    +15 to Mana
    Regenerate Mana 9%
    Lightning Resist +8 
    Gloves: Trang Claws
    Boots: 15/65 Waterwalk
    Rings: 2x beta bkwb
    Switch: 14bo cta and spirit

Inventory:
    7 skillers: 2x fhr, 39, 38, 30, 24, 17 life
    Allresist: 42/18 GC, 19/5 SC
    Fire resist: 20/11, 20/11
    Poison resist: 20/10, 19/11, 19/11, 17/10
    Lightning resist: 20/11, 19/10, 18/10, 15/11, 14/11
    Life/Mana: 20/14, 20/14, 20/13, 20/11

Goal of this equipment is: to have max block, to have 50%dr, to have 99fcr breakpoint, to have 86% fhr and to have maxed lightning resist on switch. Why on switch? Because trappers are your tough opponents and you will have to WSG against them a lot, and having negative resists on switch could easily make you killed if she kills your cyclone armor. But, having maxed resistances on both switches makes you quite tanky when you wsg out of traps. Normally there is also fire trapper, but only I have one so I don't have to bother with it. I would recommend to have maxed at least lite resist on switch for WSG, and it is easy to do that if you use CtA from cube in inventory and have Wizardspike on switch as well. I'd do that if I had to WSG against fire trapper.

I found random CoA to be best helm choice unless you have some great druid pelt with skills life sockets and whatnot. CoA also gets you to 50% dr. Why is that important? It is not, but why not have it if you can? Difference between 50% dr and 43% dr is 14% effective life. Why not take it? It certainly wouldn't hurt. Also CoA gives resistances and fhr... quite nice helm indeed. Other option is Jalal's, but I find it inferior to CoA in almost every way, except it provides extra skill and makes your Shock Wave (if you go that route) last considerably longer, but you also lose 14% effective life against physical unless you invest Ber rune in socket...

Eld in Stormshield because it saves you nice amount of life, and life is worth a lot on wind druid since with Oak and BO any life you have is easily multiplied by 4.

I use this belt because I lack fhr on character, and also extra strength makes my CoA help boost BO 1 more level (otherwise I don't have 174 required strength on switch where CtA and spirit are).

Boots are here to provide tons of life and extra fire resist which is useful against firesorcs. Other choice would be simple and effective Sandstorm Treks. FHR life res are there, very nice boots. But, Walks are better if you can afford to carry them.

163 fcr setup:

Life: 5881
    Mana: 1202
    Tornado: 5075-5344 (~885 PvP dmg)
    Hurricane: 2456-2571 (summoned with switch, 107 PvP dmg on 75 res)
    Cyclone Armor: 2641 damage sorb

[​IMG]

Helm: 2 circlets, first one is primary, second one is for LR stack
    Code:
     Blood Brow
    Coronet
    Defense: 39
    Durability: 30 of 30
    Required Level: 40
    Fingerprint: 0xcf87597
    Item Level: 85
    +1 to Druid Skill Levels
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    5% Mana stolen per hit
    +86 to Life
    +58 to Mana
    Fire Resist +19%
    1 Sockets (1 used)
    Socketed: Perfect Ruby

Dire Circlet
    Circlet
    Defense: 50
    Durability: 29 of 35
    Required Level: 36
    Fingerprint: 0x8714db13
    Item Level: 80
    +1 to Druid Skill Levels
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +7% Faster Hit Recovery
    +5 to Maximum Damage
    +64% Enhanced Defense
    +7 to Energy
    +48 to Life
    All Resistances +15
    Lightning Resist +16%
    1 Sockets (1 used)
    Socketed: Grim Scarab 
    Body: Enigma LP
    Amulet: 2/20/res crafted
    Code:
     Corruption Wing
    Amulet
    Required Level: 89
    Fingerprint: 0x553840af
    Item Level: 93
    +2 to Druid Skill Levels
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +10 to Mana
    Regenerate Mana 9%
    Lightning Resist +33%
    Fire Resist +30% 
    Weapon: 1.07 Wizardspike with fhr/9dex/27PR jewel
    Code:
     Wizardspike
    Bone Knife
    One Hand Damage: 23 - 49
    Indestructible
    Required Level: 61
    Required Strength: 38
    Required Dexterity: 75
    Fingerprint: 0x391c6d24
    Version: Expansion
    +50% Faster Cast Rate
    +7% Faster Hit Recovery
    +9 to Dexterity
    Increase Maximum Mana 15%
    +190 to Mana (Based on Character Level)
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    All Resistances +95
    Poison Resist +27%
    1 Sockets (1 used)
    Socketed: Plague Eye 
    Shield: Spirit
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Gloves: Trang Claws
    Boots: 15/65 Waterwalk
    Rings: 2x beta bkwb
    Switch: 14bo cta and spirit

Inventory: same as in block setup

Goal of vita setup is to get 163 fcr as most important part. Then 86 fhr and more life than in block setup. That's it. Obviously I lack 2 skill circlet, but these I have are good enough. Druid is not dependable on skills and that is major plus, you can easily get away with 1 skill on circlet and 1 on amulet for example. 700 PvP damage or 800, 900, doesn't really make much of a difference.

Nothing special to comment for vita setup except that I need the other circlet to have maxed lightning resist on switch, or I just put more lightning resist charms in inventory. Second circlet is socketed with fhr lite res jewel, and fhr I don't need for primary switch, but on CtA switch I lack 7fhr for 86 breakpoint... so that's it.

163 fcr DR setup

To achieve this, in stash I have BerBer CoA along with some fcr strength/life/res rings. I put CoA on and rings on and with it I achieve 163 fcr with 39% damage reduction. I'm not sure how useful this option is, but I can imagine using it from time to time when casters are vastly present with 1 bowazon or whatever in I need damage reduction against. This is basically what non-block druids would use as damage reduction option, unless they go Stormshield. I'll comment on it below.

Stash gear:
    Well, apart of items that build my 3 setups, I have some more charms to stack poison resist and lightning resist. I'm not sure will I ever use them, but they are there cuz they can be. Also I have some cold resist charms for stacking blizzard sorcs, but I don't think they will be much of a problem, I already have them nicely stacked with gear I normally use, but I could stack them some more if I wanted to. From rings, I have Wisp Projector as option for trappers, and Ravenfrost for blizzard sorcs and to battle other wind druids with walking tactics if needed.

BLOCK VS VITA, WHAT TO GO FOR?

This topic was somewhat popular not long ago. Everyone has their opinion on this. First, lets see what is the difference. Block druid obviously has major advantage against physical damage characters, especially barbs, paladins and bowazons among most notable. But, to get max block, you have to invest some dexterity. Now there is new problem to consider, how good is Hoto in comparison to Wizardspike? First of all, you need 99 fhr for Hoto setup so it is not exactly optimal option for non-vita druids. I simply find Wizardspike superior than Hoto, but that is not easy to explan, everyone should do the match themselves and decide do you like it or not. Now, if Wizardspike seems better, even with req jewel it takes 63 dexterity to use it. 208 dexterity is for max block at level 95 with Eld Stormshield, so if rest of your gear don't give dexterity, you saved 145 stats, or 1160 life after Oak is casted. Roughly, depends on Oak level. So, vita druid roughly has 1160 life extra than block variant at most. Unless I miss something obvious. Is that 1160 extra life worth it to sacrifice block? Against bowazon you can win without block, but against barbarian you have to play super turtle style to stand a chance. Paladin is also almost unwinnable match, but it mostly depends on who plays the paladin, so that is not a fact indeed.

Secondly, vita druid's best DR option is BerBer CoA. That puts him to 39% DR which is ok, but is unimpressive in comparison to 50%DR maxblock other druid has. This 39%DR won't make you win against barbs (or good paladins), but will make bowazon a winnable match for you. What is other option? Some player might consider using Stormshield as DR option despite not having max block... And I must stop here and ask you, does that make sense to use Storm as DR option and not have max block? First of all, you sacrifice your biggest strength - 163 fcr, for a DR that will, honestly, be useful pretty much only against bowazon. Any half decent barb should win against you, as will good melee paladin. It certainly does not make sense to me, unless you are poor player and wanna play vita druid and don't have BerBer CoA option. Only then it makes sense, otherwise you sacrifice your primary strength, 163 fcr, to get some DR which will save you against single character out there.

So, if you go vita route, I'm quite exclusive there - you will either go BerBer CoA + 163 fcr DR route, or you will go max block route. After all, how much does 1100 life really mean? For a poor player it certainly means more since their life will be lower. But, for better geared wind druids it doesn't mean much, really. You will be strong against casters with or without such life, and block setup will make you much much stronger against opponents you are weak against otherwise. Bowazon will become relatively easy target, BvC will be finally interesting match you can win and paladins won't be able to kill you by Zealing in place or by random charge lock. I say block route offers you much more than vita route, especially cause those deadly characters I meantioned, barb and melee paladin, are quite popular. It is up to you will you fight them as big turtle running constantly and spamming tornadoes without real strategy, or will you fight them head on in a more interesting match. But, point with block is to cover up your weaknesses, while vita does not cover anything at all, it just makes you barely stronger against characters you are already strong against. One could argue that druid has tons of minions and does not need block... well, try it out. They protect you nicely if you constantly run away from opponents, but they won't really protect you if you stand your ground for more than needed. And even with meat shield like that, if barb manages to whirl you once to kill your pack and namelock+ww you second time, you are dead. Same with melee paladin. It just depends on how good is a player you play against.

Some might ask, if Necro and Sorc can go vita route, why wouldn't that work for druid as well? Well, it might work, but be aware that both necro and sorc have much higher range than you and much faster projectiles. They can fight their battles from afar. You cannot. Tornado is moving slowly, and your battle strategy then is to force opponent to come to you and hopefully tele into tornadoes and don't kill you too fast. Necro and sorc fight on a screen range, you can't. That's why necro and sorc can get away with vita route much easier than you.

HOW MUCH DAMAGE IS ENOUGH FOR PVP?

As you can notice, I don't use 10 skillers, but 7. I Intentionally don't use more. Why? Cuz damage on windy is not that important really. Stay close to 800 PvP damage value and you are good to go. More valuable is to get higher life for example, that would be especially true for more poor players. In a place of plain skiller you can have 60 life from small charms, which after Oak translates into 240 extra life. Find your own balance there, but in general 750+ is good value to aim for. I had 950 damage druid before and I see no difference between then and now. Tornadoes last longer and each can hit target more than once... that's why Windy feels to hit like a truck.

FUTURE PLANS
    To play PvP! Dunno, to find better charms and possibly some epic pelt. Don't have any other plans.

I don't have recent windy videos, but this one I made before. Windy had slightly different gear before too.

Ty for reading.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  2. Grape

Grape IncGamers Member

Great char!

That amu is lovely, and your inventory is quite impressive as well. Well done.

3. Smancer

Smancer IncGamers Member

Simply godly. I hope to have a character half as good as this one day.

It puts things in perspective. Here I am struggling to get a char into hell, I can't even wrap my head around having your type of gear.

4. nulio

nulio IncGamers Member

Apart from some old PvP character's thread I wrote a long time ago, my current Windy is the only thread I started to draft. I'll try to finish it before MFO and then we can compare our approaches.

Great thread!

5. Gripphon

Thank you guys, I'm glad you like the character.

He is quite good on gear part and is well planned. It is certainly possible I missed better gear option, but I have put some time into planning him comparing various gear options I have, and this is best I came up with. My interpretation of windy comes from playing experience both against him and with him. So from both aspects I know what windy is capable of, though I still must work on playing with him.

@Grape
    Yeah, amulet is nice. Windy would profit more from massive strength/life amulet, but I was not lucky to craft something like that. But I can't complain, it turned out resists are quite good as well.

@Smancer
    If you continue playing and do some trading, good chars will definitely come your way.

@nulio
    Gogogo. Hey guys, if you thought my windy is something, wait till you see what Nulio has. His average life on skillers is higher than my highest skiller. Hehe.
    When it comes to approaches, it is good to see different ones. As always, everyone has their interpretation of some character. By planning windy, I saw it depends a lot on what kind of gear you have. Godly pelt changes some things, poor gear also changes some things... windy is definitely not easy character to plan in a best way possible according to gear you have available. I have for example compared even Ber 1.07 Shako as DR option, but it turns out simple CoA is better. Hoto vs Wizzy was quite a comparison too since 10 fcr less on Hoto changes some things in other gear parts etc... A lot of things to consider for sure. And it also depends on what player wants to achieve from windy.

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  6. JacobMiller

JacobMiller IncGamers Member

If you wanted to play PvM what would be the ideal merc?

7. Gripphon

I'm not sure. There are two I could possibly consider.
    One is typical might merc to help you kill things faster, and second is holy freeze merc.
    As for weapon, most popular ideas include Insight and Reaper's. I'm not sure what of mentioned mercs is better, but for a weapon I'd rather try Reaper's if you can manage mana without Insight.

8. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 IncGamers Member

@Gripphon - Same specs I'm using on my way to 99, just not up to your guy's juicy gear level. Very nice build! He's super fun to play, just trying to figure out where he levels best in the high 80's now.[emoji2]

9. Gripphon

@Southpaw8668
    To help with leveling problem, my solution to windy is this:

I didn't find something faster for him. This strategy works up to level 96, then Baal could give you faster leveling overall... Sorry to say it, but windy is incredibly annoying to level up, and is actually slow in comparison to some other characters. In fact, druid is possibly slowest leveling class out there.

For PvM, I'd stick to 163 fcr, big mana pool and wham the monsters down with either Insight or Reaper's merc. Windy is quite safe to play, just annoying.

Southpaw8668 likes this.
  10. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 IncGamers Member

@Gripphon - Now I recall reading that the first time you pointed out Baal run strategy to me when I first started Njord. Thanks again but I haven't even started running Baal yet, still pounding on Frigid Highlands bosses at /p8 until that ceases to produce. Finding occasional sweet items there as well.

11. Gripphon

Before level 90 you can easily stick to whatever bosses. Pindle is fine, running Pit is fine, running AT is fine, running random bosses in Frigind Highlands also work ok. Anyway real leveling doesn't start before like level 93 or 94. Before that it goes fairly fast. I'd go run Pit instead for leveling at level 83+, then hit Baal waves for more speed later on.

12. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Great read as always Grip. No I have finally found 2x BKWB I will have to finish sorting mine out. And then learn to play him instead of getting massacred all the time. Trouble is with Windy that you keep having to hide somewhere to recast all the time.

I'm respeccing back to Max block, but I will be using my godly Antlers (gift from col). I also need to do some caster belt crafts. My amulet is 19FCR though, so less opportunities for something useful.

I will probably go Verdungo's and a FCR ring to hit 50% DR. Either that or I look at different sockets in the helm. Last time he was Max block I had 2x Shael for 50FHR total.

Interesting levelling strategy Grip. My Windy is only 92 so needs a bit more. IIRC I have levelled to 94 before as a Fire Druid at Pindle. (Edit: it was 93)

Q: Why did you not build in str from the belt?

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  13. Gripphon

@maxicek
    Thank you.

I didn't build in strength from belt because on vitality switch I thought having 3 more skills (via arach + beta bkwb) means more than having more life via belt and fcr ring (which I would have to use to get to 163 fcr then). But, strength from belt is not wasted. It allows me to have CoA on on CtA switch when I use max block.

On top of that, I kinda like to have dr option with 163 fcr, and for that I do need arach. I simply evaluated it is less useful to have standard crafted fcr belt, but rather found it good for block version, especially since it offers 24 fhr which is the main 'point of using such belt, so I can free slots from CoA for more life and such.

14. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Can confirm this is one of the most broken characters to ever set foot on the Moor, which I suppose is typical for Grip. My only gripe is your block "option" is so weak! I remember making a Blizzard sorceress with like 100 dexterity and getting the rest through gear (Nightwing's, Shadow Dancer, exotic jewelry, etc.). Do you think that is a realistic option for an OPlio-tier rich guy, or do you think that is way too restricting on potential matchup based item selection?

15. Gripphon

Nagi has never even seen this windy in action, agreed.

For OPlio tier guy realistic option is to get 3os 2 druid skills/3 tornado/ tons of life pelt from previous version as ultimate hat you can have, and then get some extra life through fcr/stat rings.

I don't think Dancers can be really better than Waterwalks. 5% max fire resist is just very good to have, and I'm not sure Dancers can provide you with more life than Waterwalks considering everything. Even if they somehow do, that is too little difference to be worth sacrificing 5 max fire resist.

Exotic jewelry + Prubies is where its at. That is what I basically did too. Wizzy gives 9 dex, Coa gives 9 dex and 38 life, boots give 15 dex and 65 life... basically I boosted my life as if I saved 84 dexterity from equipment (life would be the same). Pelt + rings could bring you even more, not to mention stat amulet as well.