Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Odd Drops

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Stevebo, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Odd Drops

How about this for an odd (though not very good drop)

Isenharts Armour, Helm and Shield from a single NM Andy drop!

The chances of it have got to be stupidly low, but alas the drop still sucked.

I wonder how often people get weird drops like this? I reckon it was still by chance it happened (gotta hapen somewhere somehow) but the drop did stick out quite a bit (Not least because of the masses of green writing on the screen)

2. CerebralBloodbath

CerebralBloodbath IncGamers Member

i couldnt believe this when it happened. i was being norm baaled with my lvl 30 something new druid from an ** sorc with the tals set and a rare ring dropped. i picked it up and ided, bam it was an soj. i dont know the chances of getting an soj off norm baal but im 1 lucky son of a gun.

3. Arbedark

Arbedark IncGamers Member

A RARE ring dropped and it was a SOJ?

Sorry if i am confused, you probably mean Unique, But i am just checking, and wondering with any of the stats guru's if the game could actually bug something like this up actually.

Arb

4. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

IIRC normal baal and diablo can drop something like 1 or 2 rings above SOJ --- which makes nightmare Andariel the "better" source for SOJs.

Still, just because nightmare Andariel is the best source for SOJs doesn't mean that nothing else will drop one, or even that everybody else has only incredible small chances.

5. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Just yesterday I got a drop of 4 sets and 2 blues from hell Andariel (although I can't tell for sure, could have been a minion or two contributing to the pile as well, but it sure looked like one drop).

It wasn't all from the same set, though :) And even worse, it was all from normal sets...

EDIT: oops :-( double post. stupid me :-(

6. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Normal Diablo can't drop above SoJ, but Baal can. The reason NM Andy is preferred over normal Diablo is the "Andy bug" and even without it, she has twice Diablo's chance of dropping a ring in the first place.

Of course, SoJs drop all over NM and H, it's just that they are rare, just as rare as BK rings or the Wisp Projector. Natures Peace is two times more common, and Carrion Winds are three times as common as a SoJ or a BK ring. The other unique rings seem to drop all the f'ing time.

7. bobmarley

bobmarley IncGamers Member

I found a SOJ off of Norm Diablo in Classic 1.09. :thumbsup:

8. Feetstench

Feetstench IncGamers Member

I also found the Soj in a norm Ddiablo run but it was off the boss in the Fire breathre pack guarding the righ seal.

NM Meph dropped 2 Isen armors at once.

Tals ammy in a norm cow chest.

9. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

As for weird drops, meph hits the top for me, probably because he drop six items (no, I don't play players1) every time. Have gotten a drop of set Greaves, Gauntlets, Plated Belt, Great Helm, and then some other crap, like arrows or something from NM meph. 4 items from sigons is unlikely.

Hell meph once dropped me a Suicide Branch, and then 2 triple durability rares, meaning he was going to drop three. Would have been nice for octopus-sing-barb, but err...

And then, the countess dropped me 2 fal and 3 eld in one drop. Only time I can remember getting five runes, but there may have been more.

I think Andariel dropped one ring of each quality once. (Unique, Set, Rare, Magic) but I couldn't really tell if all were from her drop, as there were too many other monsters there.

10. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

1 Ber and a 4% Bk ring out of hell Trav, beeing rushed by a friend's sorc....he let me keep both.. awesomeness...

11. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

i don't care about the odds, but i thought it was funny:

i was in tristram, and there were a few skeletons near me as i was whacking griswold. he dies, and drops 2 scimitars. i kill the skeletons within a second or two, and they drop 2 more.

12. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

From hell Meph:

Unique kite shield
    Set kite shield
    Set kite shield

13. KeNnY-DK

KeNnY-DK IncGamers Member

this isnt as odd as urs, but kinda strange if u ask me, i killed nm andariel and Vla.. something boots ( some set one) drops, then i kill nm meph in the same game and he drops the exact same set boots :p actually thought this couldnt happen, but what do I know

14. TheJarulf

TheJarulf Banned

But then, almost any drop you get has a stupidly low chance. The thing is, the game has to pick one of those many, many possible drops. :)

15. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Yup - like in poker the odds of getting say 2 and 5 of hearts, 4 of spades, Ace of Diamonds and 9 of Clubs is the exact same as getting 10,J,Q,K,A of hearts, only the first looks very common as nothing makes it stand out, while the second is an unbeatable hand but they are still both unique and distinct from any other deal. Same with drops, just its not easy getting the drop you're looking for and you tend to get the crap deal most of the time, which makes 'odd' drops stand out.

16. TheJarulf

TheJarulf Banned

Just a clarification to avoid people reply:
    In Diablo there IS some difference in chance for different drop combinations though (as I am sure someone might answer and tell). Still, each is still very small.

17. Stevebo

Stevebo Banned

Sorry, yes it is not the same a a 5-Card draw in poker where each deal has the same possibility, what i ment was that *exact* drops are of very low probability but people don't note them as they blend into the rest of the drops that happen, only when an odd or very good drop occurs does anyone notice it.

e.g. you do an andy run and she drops 3 rare items. nothing unusual about it, but the chance of her dropping the exact same items again in a single drop with the exact same modifiers is almost zero. As a guess you would probably be more likely to get an identical drop if she dropped all set items or all unique items as the items themselves will all be the same all the time rather than rares with a multitude of random modifers. However although the "set items" drop is probably more likely to be repeated exactly you would think it more unusual as it stands out.

18. spiritgloam

spiritgloam IncGamers Member

the weirdest drop i ever got was from hell andy i was mfing with a friend and when we killed her she dropped 2 gheeds kinda strange but ever since that incident ive been attracting quite a few gheeds this past month around 5 or so

19. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

card example:

i don't think this is a good example as it is. how about:

low level items are suits, high level items are numbers. therefore, 4 of the same card, e.g. 4 deuces, has the exact same odds as 4 of a higher number, eg. aces, and the game treats it as such, no matter how much you would prefer aces instead of deuces. however, low level items are like getting 4 of the same suit in a row, which, as any poker player will know, is only like a 1 in 7 chance of happening.

also, the card example is bad in that every card dealt changes the odds of each succeeding card. if you are dealt a heart, the next card has a far lower chance of being another heart, and a higher chance of being a spade, club or diamond.

how about this: imagine a deck where there is only one ace, 2 kings, 4 queens, 16 jacks, 256 10's, etc. all the way down to deuces, with each lower number having the square of the previous higher number. and then, you draw one card each time, with the deck being reshuffled after every draw. in this example, you can easily see why you can get 6 kite shields in a row, but not see a sacred armor, ever.

20. shersman

shersman IncGamers Member

haha

I got 2 isenharts case in one drop from meph last night ... was crazy, because I already have 2 in my stash. lol