Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Odd Build - Viable?

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by A1cme3, Nov 17, 2006.

1. A1cme3

A1cme3 IncGamers Member

Odd Build - Viable?

I was doing some muling today, and during the switch of some gear I ended up with a barb wearing 2 parts of Trangs. This got me thinking... I read someplace on here (I think it was on a singer barb guide) that barbs cast the same as Sorcs when it comes to fcr? Or they are second best, something like that. Anyway, would it be possible to use some Trangs (I'm thinking belt, gloves, and maybe armor) along with Rising Sun ammy (+2 fire skills), wizspike (for the resists and fcr) and Hellplauge (+2 fire skills), 2 rare 10% fcr rings, etc... to make a Fireball barb? That would put it at lvl 22 fireball, I think. Is this just rediculous? Would it work? Any suggestions about gear are welcome as well, provided I have at least 2 parts of Trangs, as fireball is the whole point. Has anyone ever tried this? As far as skills go, I guess I would be warcry heavy, to get my BO and Shout as high as possible... I don't even know what else I would max. Some points in Iron skin and natural resist... so, any ideas/suggestions? Thanks! :thumbsup:

2. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Fireball's going to deal some pretty pathetic damage, unsynergized. Slvl 22 Fireball, with no synergies, is averaging just a shade over 240 damage per cast, which is absolutely not Hell-viable.

On the other hand... if you were to add another piece of Trang's and use Firewalls, you could probably make it work. Slvl 17 Firewall deals 1,000 damage per second, which is doable. If you max out War Cry, too, you can stun enemies and then raise a wall right underneath their feet to roast them alive.

Firewall + War Cry is definitely viable. I know this for a fact, because a guy named MongoJerry took a "Barbarian Mage" solo all the way through Hell 1.10, untwinked (except for the pieces of Trang's), without dying once. Of course, it'll be SEVERELY underpowered, but doable.

3. FistOfFury

FistOfFury IncGamers Member

LOL! Really interesting build idea, haha nice. Okay, haven't played in a while and haven't used firewall in ages - it has a cast timer right?? If so, then you can spam fireballs in between firewalls for more damage. But what about fire immunes? Bezerk?

4. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Well, you'll want to spam War Cry between castings of Fire Wall. It deals two to three times more damage than Fireball, it hits all enemies around you, it deals a secondary damage type (physical), and it stuns enemies. Probably the better spell to spam, instead of Fireball- especially given that Fireball's damage is brutally poor.

Between the Fire and Physical, you should be able to take out 99% of monsters. For the pesky dual-immunes, you could always get an A3 Cold Merc (who can help freeze monsters in your Firewall), or an A1 Cold Rogue (who, outfitted with either a Harmony Bow or Deadly Strike gear, such as WWS, can deal very large sums of elemental damage).

5. hookserdoo

hookserdoo IncGamers Member

Cool idea!

Also, the unique shamshir (Hexfire) gives +3 to fire skills.

6. A1cme3

A1cme3 IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips... SSoG, you're totally right with the firewall idea, I'm definitely thinking three Trangs pieces at a minimum. Still thinking belt (the cbf will open a ring slot - I don't see ravenfrost being very useful on this build), and gloves for sure. Armor seems like the best choice for the third part, as I can't use the shield anyway, and the helm just isn't that great. Also, thanks for reminding me of Hexfire, hookserdoo. Time to break out the mules to see if I have one. Any other gear suggestions are welcome, and thanks for the feedback. I will need a while to allocate the all the appropriate gear, and my work schedule is a bit heavy at the moment, but if you guys are interested, I will periodically update the progress of my new barb (no name yet).

7. FistOfFury

You'll still need to spam fireballs inbetween firewalls if you come across physical immunes or maybe stuff with high physical resistanc, if I'm understanding correctly the 'physical' damage of the war cry. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, I have very little experience with singer barbs, just throwing another idea out. I'm also interested in updates on 'proper' gear, cause using 3 trang pieces seems like giving up alot for other mods. Edit: Would flamebellow unique sword be a good alternate? edit: probably not, too high str req.

8. DrakeTheFallen

DrakeTheFallen IncGamers Member

This is a very interesting idea... Here's my idea on equipment
    Shako
    2x wiz spike
    Trangs armor
    Trans gloves
    Trangs belt
    Rising Sun ( or maras? )
    1x soj
    1x bk ring
    Waterwalks ( decent ones give more hp than treks, and they have 15 dex for wiz's dex requirements, which allows for more into vitality, overall, more hp )
    Dual hoto's on switch, just in case you need more phys damage from warcry, also for doing your bo's.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll work on skills a little later when I have time to look at the skill tree and get some ideas.

9. Murderface

Murderface IncGamers Member

I actually posted an idea for this a little bit ago (under the thread Fireball Barb), we were thinking that dual flamebellows or hexfires would work, +3 to fireskills each with hotos or wizspikes on switch. Also you could grab lots of fire facets and socket them in everything. with the flamebellows you would get level 42 inferno, if they ever fix the bug, it could deal some decent damage.

10. FistOfFury

Murderface, what bug are you talking about?

11. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

The Inferno bug. Besides generally sucking, Arctic Blast and Inferno are bugged to only deal one-third or one-half (forget which) of their listed damage. Wake of Inferno doesn't suffer from the same bug, it's just Inferno and Arctic.