Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

OCness in D3, or, the obsessive looter

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Razor Spine, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Razor Spine

Razor Spine IncGamers Member

OCness in D3, or, the obsessive looter

I've noticed that the enemies have loot literally coming out of their ears in the act 2 monk videos. Not to mention a zillion treasure chests, poppable corpses, and the like being ignored by the players. Bringing us to the following question;

How OC will you be when playing Diablo 3, now that gold is very important to the economy short of gambling and repairs? Or will you be selective, even if it means you'll be broke every other trip out of town or back to the caravan?

Discuss.

2. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

Re: OCness in D3, or, the obsessive looter

In ARPGs I usually pick up pretty much everything until I figure out the value and usefulness of whatever currency the game is using. Since money is normally not that useful, I normally start ignoring lower quality drops and then higher and higher quality depending on how close to the endgame I am, where money starts becoming useless.

Anyway, Jay said we'd see a lot fewer items drop in D3 than in D2. Additionally, the salvage feature allows us to quickly convert any loot we don't want to vendor into essences. Lastly, we won't be able to return to vendors and sell whenever we'd like to. Those three things alone lead me to believe that I'll be picking up pretty much everything, at least for the sake of salvaging it.

Somehow I think the designers are expecting players to do that and intend to balance the artisan crafting/leveling costs accordingly.

3. Razor Spine

You'll have to wait to find the salvage chest though, like the horadric trash compactor in act 2 of D2. Atleast that's what I could make out from Jay Wilson's interviews. So one must be a bit more selective looting, atleast initially, if you don't want to spend time traveling between waypoints. Not that I mind of course, if I can start playing with /players 4 from the get-go, then i'll be in trouble too as far as loot is concerned. Just like in good old D2 and D2X. :nod:

Now that I come to think of it, gems will likely become the new high-end currency of D3 just like it is in D2. That, and gem farming will be a profitable business for most players, if drop rates are as reasonable as the Blizz honchos are making them out to be. Atleast you know you'll be getting somewhere in the end instead of praying for a decent drop and hoping not to get ninja'ed. Especially with the 'individual loot' system.

(oh, and in passing, try watching the D3 monk trailer to the Benny Hill theme. Funniest thing ever. period. :thumbup:)

4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

he did say we will get the cube early in the game so i dont think waiting will be that much of an issue.

as for the question, i will pick up everything. i am one of those players that just has to have everything in the game and sell it all for whatever i can get. i robbed just about every house in morrowind for no reason. i was stealing cups and plates that only earned me 1 gold just cause i could lol.

i also was one of the players who cleared the entire zone before moving on in d2.

5. Razor Spine

ouch, you even stole earthenware cups and plates? I was rather light-fingered myself, but never to that point. Of course, everything worth an actual damn was never safe, and all of it used to go to Creeper after I used a mod to make him very rich. (500k in septims daily. :cloud9:)

I enjoy clearing out places zone by zone myself, as well as finding every chest and popping every corpse. In fact, first time I went over D2X with a standard Fanatic pally build, I finished acts 1 and 2 on /players 8 both and managed to beat act 3 on /players 6, because I enjoyed the challenge and the heavy loot drops. :jig:

Come to think of it though, I wonder when the time will come when someone will come up with a baalrun-style location for farming gold. :crazyeyes: You know it's bound to happen someday.

6. Killafornia

Killafornia IncGamers Member

Yeah I do hope they have a command like /players8 in d3. For when I'm not playing on bnet.

7. Apocalypse

would be nice to have an option for that in mp also. would not be hard to make a prelaunch option of "set difficulty to 4 players" or something like that

8. Killafornia

Killafornia IncGamers Member

Yeah true, I think the game is going to be easy so I definitely want an option like that.

9. Apocalypse

i dont see why not. it is not an option that would ruin the game for anyone just add to the game for, well probably most.everyone i ever played with loved the ability to do that in sp and i knew so many people who would join a 8 player game for a baal or diablo run just to level in act 1 or 2

10. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

I will be picking up everything to d/e so I can use the mats to level my artisans :)

I find this whole artisan leveling mechanic very motivating, heh.

11. Thecla

Thecla IncGamers Member

I'm pretty OCD when it comes to picking up stuff (I really liked the "Living off the Land" style of playing the original Diablo where you used only what you found in the dungeons and didn't buy anything or use any services in town). I didn't like the whole "cow-level" type ethos of laying waste huge numbers of monsters in 8-player D2 games at the fastest possible speed, looking for a few of the "best" items and leaving huge piles of stuff lying around unid'd before going onto the next game.

I just can't do that myself. I can sympathize with people who worry that salvaging could turn into a chore where you feel like you have to pick up and slavage everything, however time-consuming, minimally rewarding, pointless and stupid it might be.

But I think the key is to get a good balance between the supply of scraps in salvaging and how much you need to use them. If it's done right, it's an extra thing to keep you busy, without making you feel you have to pick up and salvage everything. (And if you do run short of scraps, you can always go out and kill more stuff --- items are after all an infinitely renewable resource in games like Diablo, which is one of the main problems in balancing the game, of course.)

Hellgate:London (maybe not entirely by coincidence) had a salvage system very similar to the one proposed for D3, where scraps could be used to upgrade items. I found it took some getting used to, but once I did I really liked it and picked up and slavaged lots of items (including some quite good ones which gave a chance for special crafting materials) without getting OCD'd. I think it'll be a good addition to D3 also. By constrast I found Guild Wars' system with normal/expert salvage kits etc. too elaborate --- IMO the simple approach is better in a fast-paced game like Diablo.

Also, Hellgate susprised me a bit in managing a reasonable gold economy, which I though would be pretty much impossible in game like Diablo, with infinite access to resources. The key thing was that even high-end items sold for very little (not much more than the cost of a few potions). It would be like capping the sale price of magic items in D2 at 300gp instead of 35,000gp, or whatever it is. If you strictly limit the flow of gold into the game by not allowing items to sell at vastly inflated prices, then you have a real chance to build an economy where gold is a valuable resource, and I think they'll manage to do that in D3 also.

12. Apocalypse

the thing is no one needs to level the artisans if they dont want to. they can just trade for the items that the artisans make or buy them for gold (assuming gold has any real value). i dont see them being a chore or being forced on players, just another option for players who like the idea. i for one love the idea

13. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

I would ignore them, too, if I only had 15 minutes to play. :p

I am not very OC about picking up stuff. If it isn't a rare, set or unique I tend to just ignore it.
    That won't be the case in D3, so I can't say for sure, but I don't suspect that once I out-level the common materials that I'll be picking up much stuff. So my answer would be that I will pick something up only if I have an actual reason to, I suppose.