Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Obedience Base

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Hutton, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Hutton

Hutton Diabloii.Net Member

Hey sports fans,

So I've been playing my barbarian over in the Untwinked 99er thread, and have ended up spec'd into WW with polearm mastery, with no respecs available short of farming up essences (which means cashing in Ancients, so not keen on it).

Current plan is to use an Obedience GPA as my mid to late game weapon (basically until I can find Tomb Reaver or BOTD).

However, I don't have a GPA base available currently. Thankfully the runes for Obedience are pretty common, so was intending to make one with what I have in the meantime, which leads to my question:

Thresher, or a 13/15 superior Cryptic Axe?

So far as I see it the pros and cons for each are as follows.

Thresher

Pro:
    • -10 base speed hits the 3rd WWBP for a non-sword 2-hander.
    Con:
    • Ugly!
    • Range modifier of 1 (lowest of polearms).
    • Fairly low average damage.

Cryptic Axe

Pro:
    • Looks OK.
    • Range modifier of 3.
    • High average damage.
    Con:
    • Base speed 10 only hits first WWBP.
    • Would need to be repaired with Orts.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  2. Gynli

Gynli Diabloii.Net Member

Hello. Just my 2cents.

Grief alone should be well worth cashing in Ancients. Run time saved from grief setup will save u more time than Ancients at 98. I think.

Insight is also a cheap runeword u can reroll many times for maxish ed/crit. Crit from insight can get up to lvl 6, and with bo, 7. And thats 49%. +all skills from items will also will raise this higher. If you dont have highlords, this might outperform obedience against most of the mobs. Consider this as a possible choice.

In terms of ur weapon choice between the two, i wouldnt bother making it in a superior unless theres repair or indestructible. Repair cost is too high and with ww, ull be breaking it often.

Also, because neither obedience nor insight have innate AS, id stick with a faster weapon. Damage difference is minor when speed is considered. Reach will be annoying, but can be managed with better driving.

Ill close by saying that i do not have too much experience with ww or barbs in general, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt. =)

3. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

Personally, I think the 3rd WW BP is quite critical so I'd go Thresher. I was in the same shoes with an untwinked WW Barb and I used the Great Poleaxe for Obedience and just found it slow, both for WW and for Berserk. Luckily for me, I had a respec left so when a Ribcracker dropped I upped it, and respecked (I think it was to Mace Mastery, but can't remember?). What a difference that made....and also the coolest sound when WW'ing! :D

Toranaga is currently Lvl 87, but retired to those insufferable LK runs because of the amount of faster R/W he has.

Hutton likes this.
  4. Hutton

Cheers for the responses, Thresher it is!

@Gynli Should have been more specific, I'm only level 86 just now. Expect that I'll definitely respec to something a bit more cookie cutter before pushing for 99 (if I ever properly go for it), but would prefer to wait until at least 90-something.

I'm currently using a 240% Insight Thresher (think it's +6 crit too), which is good enough for MFing on p1 in The Pit. The Obedience I think will let me up the player count to 3 to focus on experience for a few levels.

Suffice to say, I don't have a Lo sitting about currently! :D Would be tempted to use the first one on Fortitude as well...

5. sanguillen

sanguillen Diabloii.Net Member

Funnily enough, I graduated from the Insight to the Obedience myself. Though with untwinked, I guess it shouldn't be that big a surprise. I was expecting a big boost to killing speed but I was disappointed with the change, to be honest (even with those juicy numbers). Obedience in a GPA just felt....slow, and even made me feel squishier. I play HC, and am a big believer in the theory that the more often you hit things yourself, the less often those things can hit you because they'll be in hit recovery mode. Obedience wound up being counter to that.

Plus, keep in mind that you'll need some form of mana leech (if you don't have it already) that isn't necessary while equipped with Insight and its Meditation aura. Whirlwind can use up your mana pool in a hurry....

6. Hutton

@sanguillen Yeah, I'll try it out in the Thresher base, but fully prepared for it to be underwhelming! I've got a passable rare with mana leech and AR that I can equip to make up for the loss of Meditation. If it does wind up being garbage, it's not a huge investment of runes anyway.