Obama and the National Anthem

WzWz

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Obama and the National Anthem

You're supposed to do that during the national anthem? I thought it was just the pledge of allegiance...

BobCox2

Diabloii.Net Member

Obama SINGS the National Anthem... Others Do Not
Some people are saying Obama is unpatriotic because he didn't cover his heart during the pledge. Well, it WASNT the pledge, it was the national anthem and modern custom does not require a hand over the heart. But if you watch closely: He is the ONLY one singing! Clinton clearly is not, Richardson might be. So, who is the unpatriotic one?
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u90/snopesbinary/Politics/?action=view&current=abc_obama_anthem_071022a.flv

The Conservative blogosphere says that Barack Obama isn't patriotic enough to be President because he was photographed without his hand over his heart during the National Anthem. Looks like former U.S. President George H W Bush doesn't love America either. http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/12845/thumbs/s-BUSH-PATRIOTISM-PROBLEM-large.jpg The AP caption reads:

Former U.S. President George Bush, center, U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, left, and retired General Norman Schwarzkopf, right, stand at attention during the playing of the National Anthem Monday, Feb. 26, 2001, at the American Embassy in Kuwait at the ceremony marking the 10th anniversary of the liberation of Kuwait. (AP Photo/Gustavo Ferrari)

This is a Issue? I can pick much worse things about Obama as a reason not to vote for him.
He's a Democrat for one.

Jcakes

Diabloii.Net Member

Are you guys serious that there is a code as to what you are supposed to do when the national anthem plays? I must say I am glad none of that happens here in Australia

MYK

Diablo: IncGamers Member

Are you guys serious that there is a code as to what you are supposed to do when the national anthem plays? I must say I am glad none of that happens here in Australia
We just do it so Big Brother won't single us out. You get caught and they try to make you into a president. True story.

krischan

Europe Trade Moderator

If he had not sung the anthem, nobody would have cared about it, but if you sing, a couple of hypocrits expect you to do the hand over the heart thing as well.

Each country has its hypocrits, I guess. In the German army you have to pay for a new flag if you drop it and it touches the ground :crazy:. That's considered a defilement, although I doubt the army will have a chance with that attitude in a lawsuit. Perhaps they just tell it to wind up the recruits.

Ankeli

Diabloii.Net Member

So you're worried if he doesn't move his arm, and the current dyslexic(spelling?) mongrel doesn't concern you?

KiL

Diabloii.Net Member

Now this is one of the only interesting things I have pulled from Time magazine lately:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/content/fightthesmearshome/

Remember that whole deal about the birth certificate? It's available as a PDF.

Don't think he will put his hand over his heart? Well, there is a video of him doing it.

He is trying something different, rather than the tried and true "ignore, deflect, ignore some more" route. Of course, this has the possibility of severely backfiring.

IntellectSucks

Diabloii.Net Member

Wouldn't observing the correct behaviour during a ceremony rank rather low in a list of qualities you would want from someone to lead the country?

Now, not wearing a flag on your lapel would be nr.1 ofcourse.
Maybe, maybe not. I would say that observing the correct behavior during a ceremony is a sign of respect, especially during something pertaining to national pride and patriotism. How can we expect Obama to show proper respect for another nation's culture when he isn't even behaving correctly during one of our OWN ceremonies? While you and I can shrug it off as "who cares where his hand is during the national anthem?", will the people of another country take it so lightly if he shows the same behavior during one of THEIR revered ceremonies?

Even more so is the general lack of judgement that surrounds the Obama campaign. I would say that the greater the position of authority your are being given, the more you should make sure that you are concious of your behaviour in all aspects of your life. This man isn't applying to be assistant manager at a McDonalds, he's applying for arguably the most powerful position in the whole world. I want someone who is going to make sure that he crosses all his t's and dots all his i's (and lowercase j's). While I don't think this is evidence that Obama is not patriotic, I think it shows a general naivette in almost every aspect of his campaign: his ridiculous assessment of the war in Iraq, the people in his campaign who are continually being exposed as criminal or corrupt, his many, many, many verbal misteps, the list goes on and on. This man could potentially be representing the country to the whole world. His every word and action are going to reflect how everyone in the world views the USA. We've already had eight years of fumbles and missteps in the international arena, I don't want another four.

You don't have to put a hand over the heart during the anthem o_O Only stand and remove the hat.
I posted the actual wording of the flag code in the first post to avoid this type of confusion; I guess it didn't work. It clearly says in the first post that you are supposed to put your right hand over your heart during the national anthem.

I can't believe this is even an issue. Putting your hand over your heart is just a step below "Heil Hitler".
Hmmmmm, showing respect for your countries national anthem is the same as saluting a genocidal maniac? Interesting logic.

Don't think he will put his hand over his heart? Well, there is a video of him doing it.
The video is of him leading the pledge of allegiance during a seperate event. It has nothing to do with him not holding his hand over his heart at this event.

Obama SINGS the National Anthem... Others Do Not
Some people are saying Obama is unpatriotic because he didn't cover his heart during the pledge. Well, it WASNT the pledge, it was the national anthem and modern custom does not require a hand over the heart. But if you watch closely: He is the ONLY one singing! Clinton clearly is not, Richardson might be. So, who is the unpatriotic one?
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u90/snopesbinary/Politics/?action=view&current=abc_obama_anthem_071022a.flv

The Conservative blogosphere says that Barack Obama isn't patriotic enough to be President because he was photographed without his hand over his heart during the National Anthem. Looks like former U.S. President George H W Bush doesn't love America either. http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/12845/thumbs/s-BUSH-PATRIOTISM-PROBLEM-large.jpg The AP caption reads:

Former U.S. President George Bush, center, U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, left, and retired General Norman Schwarzkopf, right, stand at attention during the playing of the National Anthem Monday, Feb. 26, 2001, at the American Embassy in Kuwait at the ceremony marking the 10th anniversary of the liberation of Kuwait. (AP Photo/Gustavo Ferrari)

This is a Issue? I can pick much worse things about Obama as a reason not to vote for him.
He's a Democrat for one.
In the video that I saw it didn't look like he was singing (a video quality issue perhaps?), if that is that case then it partially addresses my concern (although I would rather see someone who is running for president following the law that has been passed rather than interpreting that law in his own way). Also, just because Bush Sr. did something wrong doesn't mean it's OK for Barack Obama to do something wrong.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member

Intellect,

If you don't wish to vote for Obama, that it is fine. Vote for the candidate of your choice. Arguing against Obama based on such trival issues, however, is simply absurd.

Rashiminos

Diabloii.Net Member

Maybe, maybe not. I would say that observing the correct behavior during a ceremony is a sign of respect, especially during something pertaining to national pride and patriotism. How can we expect Obama to show proper respect for another nation's culture when he isn't even behaving correctly during one of our OWN ceremonies? While you and I can shrug it off as "who cares where his hand is during the national anthem?", will the people of another country take it so lightly if he shows the same behavior during one of THEIR revered ceremonies?

Even more so is the general lack of judgement that surrounds the Obama campaign. I would say that the greater the position of authority your are being given, the more you should make sure that you are concious of your behaviour in all aspects of your life. This man isn't applying to be assistant manager at a McDonalds, he's applying for arguably the most powerful position in the whole world. I want someone who is going to make sure that he crosses all his t's and dots all his i's (and lowercase j's). While I don't think this is evidence that Obama is not patriotic, I think it shows a general naivette in almost every aspect of his campaign: his ridiculous assessment of the war in Iraq, the people in his campaign who are continually being exposed as criminal or corrupt, his many, many, many verbal misteps, the list goes on and on. This man could potentially be representing the country to the whole world. His every word and action are going to reflect how everyone in the world views the USA. We've already had eight years of fumbles and missteps in the international arena, I don't want another four.
Bush has done the "right" things, just not from the perspective of the public, domestic and foreign. In a similar fashion, Obama will continue doing the "right" things if he is elected. So would McCain, for that matter. Dems and Reps decided they didn't want less corrupt candidates in the primaries. The "joke" is on them.

IntellectSucks

Diabloii.Net Member

Intellect,

If you don't want to vote for Obama, that it is fine. Vote for who you wish. Arguing against Obama based on such trival issues, however, is simply absurd.
I don't want to vote for Obama, mainly because I really agree with McCain's policy decisions, but I feel that this is not a trivial issue. I think this is just one more way that shows how naive he is and how bad his judgement is. I don't want someone in office who is naive and has bad judgement, so I want to discuss those things with people and hopefully change their minds. The people who disagree with me and think this is a trivial issue are free to feel that way and vote their own way.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't want to vote for Obama, mainly because I really agree with McCain's policy decisions, but I feel that this is not a trivial issue. I think this is just one more way that shows how naive he is and how bad his judgement is. I don't want someone in office who is naive and has bad judgement, so I want to discuss those things with people and hopefully change their minds. The people who disagree with me and think this is a trivial issue are free to feel that way and vote their own way.
Using your ideas, one could say that McCain is unworthy of being president based on his repeated faux pas of Iran and AQ. The man either has unsound judgement, poor memory, or sudden onset of old timers disease. Obviously, he is a terrible choice for the White House.

Do you like that argument?

Stick to the real issues fella.

Rashiminos

Diabloii.Net Member

Using your ideas, one could say that McCain is unworthy of being president based on his repeated faux paus of Iran and AQ. The man either has unsound judgement, poor memory, or sudden onset of old timers disease. Obviously, he is a terrible choice for the White House.

Faux pas*.

Well said...

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member

I might be overstating my problem with this, and I don't think it should make or break anyones decision on who they vote for, but I guess my point is that it just looks bad, just like Bush and all of his speech problems, and some of McCain's oopsy statements. They just look bad.

Johnny

Banned

Although he is'nt required to put his hand over his heart. Being the one and only person not to do it makes it look bad.

Johnny

Banned

Invoking godwin has in itself become an instant argument loss. Much more powerful than mentioning nazis.

IntellectSucks

Diabloii.Net Member

Using your ideas, one could say that McCain is unworthy of being president based on his repeated faux pas of Iran and AQ. The man either has unsound judgement, poor memory, or sudden onset of old timers disease. Obviously, he is a terrible choice for the White House.

Actually quite a few people ARE making that argument, and they are totally entitled to have that opinion. My response is that while McCain may have a few verbal gaffes, he doesn't have any more than Obama nor does he have a campaign and group of associates who are radicals and criminals. To me this one incident is not important in and of itself, but when combined with the many other lacking judgement calls, it shows me a pattern of bad decision making. How is a pattern of bad decision making not a relevant issue?

Erwwwd

Diabloii.Net Member

Dwight d Eisenhower. Now there is an unpatriotic guy. He did more than not observing protocol, he CHANGED the pledge of allegiance.