Obama and the National Anthem

IntellectSucks

Diabloii.Net Member
Obama and the National Anthem

So what is the deal with Obama in this video of the National Anthem? I'm not trying to make accusations of him being unpatriotic (I don't believe that is the case) but what is his explanation for this stupid mistake? The only response I have found from the Obama campaign is that he holds his hand over his heart and leads the Pledge of Allegiance when he opens the Senate. That's all fine and dandy but why did he fidget like a little kid during the National anthem? Once again, I'm not trying to say he's unpatriotic, just saying this was a boneheaded thing to do when you're thinking of running for president.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwog6E08CFU

Wikipedia on U.S. Flag Code said:
[edit] Pledge of Allegiance and national anthem
The Pledge of Allegiance all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
When the national anthem is played or sung;
(a) Designation.— The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem. (b) Conduct During Playing.— During a rendition of the national anthem— (1) when the flag is displayed— (A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart; (B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and (C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and (2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.
I'm really genuinely interested, what is the deal with this?

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Obama and the National Anthem

Maybe he objected to that horrible rendition of the Anthem.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

That was one of the worst performances of it that I've ever heard. Not as bad as Roseanne, but still, god awful.

Croup

Diabloii.Net Member

Wow, the lady was awful.

And what a complete ****ing non-issue. Seriously.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member

I wouldn't say it is a non-issue. I think that Obama needs to start putting his hand over his heart, he is running for freaking president. It just looks bad and brings up doubts in some people's minds about why he cares enough NOT to put his hand over his heart.

Croup

Diabloii.Net Member

I wouldn't say it is a non-issue. I think that Obama needs to start putting his hand over his heart, he is running for freaking president. It just looks bad and brings up doubts in some people's minds about why he cares enough NOT to put his hand over his heart.
I disagree. The president should be concerned about making policy, fixing what's wrong with the country, and dealing with problems internationally. Not having his hand over his heart during the pledge of allegiance impacts negatively on none of those things. Therefore, I couldn't care less.

EDIT to fix a typo.

Last edited:

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member

You may not be able to care less, but there are some out there that I am sure care plenty, and that is what makes it an issue. A really simple issue.

Gibbzilla

Diabloii.Net Member

I can't believe this is even an issue. Putting your hand over your heart is just a step below "Heil Hitler".

However, I suppose this is proof that Hussein Obama is one of them thur terrorists.

Erwwwd

Diabloii.Net Member

What would you expect from a secret Muslim who shares terrorist fist jabs with his wife.

DayDream

Diabloii.Net Member

You don't have to put a hand over the heart during the anthem o_O Only stand and remove the hat.

But during the pledge, a hand over the heart is a dire requirement

Rashiminos

Diabloii.Net Member

Just from the posture of the other people I can tell they all thought it was a horrible performance. Just one part of the original work, and it's butchered like a pig.

As for Obama's lack of customary respect, it depends on whether you think it's a non-issue as has been previously suggested in this thread, or some other possibility.

Maybe it's a subconscious reflection of him having closer and stronger affiliations than his relation to the United States.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

I tend not to hold my hand over my heart when the national anthem plays. Most places I've been not holding the hand over one's heart seems customary. Maybe it's a midwest thing?

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member

Lots of idiots in ballparks don't take their caps off during the Anthem, but that doesn't mean a candidate for public office should be dumb enough to forget to do it.

First and foremost is simply respect during the playing of the National Anthem, and for me, this includes taking your cap off. Hand over your heart, ehh, not that big of a deal for us normal folk, just respect. But again, it is different when you are in the public eye, running to lead your country. It is part of the Flag Code, and I think a presidential candidate should follow the flag code.

§170. National anthem; Star-Spangled Banner

The composition consisting of the words and music known as The Star-Spangled Banner is designated the national anthem of the United States of America.

§171. Conduct during playing

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.
http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#170

Widan

Diabloii.Net Member

I think the deal is no one gives a **** about flag code

Erwwwd

Diabloii.Net Member

Wouldn't observing the correct behaviour during a ceremony rank rather low in a list of qualities you would want from someone to lead the country?

Now, not wearing a flag on your lapel would be nr.1 ofcourse.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member

Hand over your heart, ehh, not that big of a deal for us normal folk, just respect. But again, it is different when you are in the public eye, running to lead your country.
I agree that it is different when in the public eye, especially when he's the only one not on stage doing it, but I still don't see it as a big deal. Sure it's something he should have done, but the fact that he didn't do it doesn't bother me much.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member

I guess locking his hands together was the only way to stop them covering his ears.

Man, patriotism is dumb.

llad12

Diabloii.Net Member

Somebody should have throttled that tone-deaf singer.