Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

oath vs grief

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Superhal, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

oath vs grief

right now, i'm gathering weapons for a zerker barb i'm planning. however, i can't decide which one to use. my thoughts:

--grief's added damage is ideal for 1h weapons, as few would end up with that much damage even with say ebotd.

--grief can go into a normal or exceptional weapon, as the base damage is almost inconsequential to the total damage.

--grief is less flexible. if i wanted to use the weapon later for a ww'er, only 1 sword and 2 axes are guaranteed to get -35 total for ww, and the sword is range 2 (phase blade) and the axes are 2h. conversely, many swords and axes can hit -35 ias 1h with oath--for a barb only.

--only the phase blade can be used for both runewords and hit the 9 fpa cap with "only" 60 or so additional ias for zerk.

my current available items:
    1. crescent moon legend sword: easy to use for a ww'er.
    2. unsocketted eth ettin axe.
    3. etheral legend sword.
    4. etheral champion axe
    5. non-eth, 5s ettin axe
    6. phase blades with 0 and 4 sockets.

so, my questions are:
    1. considering that i would like this weapon to be used for several different characters (as i doubt i'll keep playing it after i finish all the quests,) which runeword should i use in which weapon?

2. which is better, grief or oath? in what type of weapon?

3. should i keep looking for another weapon? what kind? i'm pretty sure for the zerker i can get by with either lightsaber or the crescent moon or a bk col blade or a 280 damage hydra edge, so it doesn't have to be ideal for him. but, i'd like to be able to use it on a non-barb 1h. a zerker axe would seem ideal, but there's a 50% chance that it wouldn't hit the -35 ias breakpoint with grief.

thx in advance.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

If you make Grief into a zweihander, it will have a guaranteed speed of -35 for WW and it has range 3 as well. It's just an exceptional weapon, but as you wrote, that's not that important for Grief. Of course, it's pointless to use a Grief weapon two-handed. In such a case, you might be better off with BotD or perhaps even with Oath (calculate it yourself).

BTW, you need just -34 speed for reaching the final WW breakpoint, so the chances are 7 in 11 for a BA. I took the risk, made a 36/378 BA and sold it for a low Grief phase blade (it was for my fana-zealot anyway) plus a few Ist runes, but that might be a dangerous gamble if you have to spend all your resources on the weapon..

I don't know which is the better weapon for a conc barb, however. My guess is a Grief BA because it has reach 3, you can use it with a shield and it has a high sell value if it has 34+%IAS.The drawback of a Grief in something else than a phase blade is that it needs repair all the time. For example, the mentioned Grief BA needed repair once per solo Baalrun when my paladin still had it which was very annoying and one of the reasons to trade it for a Grief phase blade.

3. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

How high was the repair cost ? I ask because Zweis are so easy to find that even superiors are cheap, but that increases repair cost I think.