Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Oath for a meleemancer

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Raistlin_Majere, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Raistlin_Majere

Raistlin_Majere IncGamers Member

Oath for a meleemancer

Im considering making a meleemancer wielding an oath weapon.
    As for skills I'm planning to maximize the synergies for bone spirit (the lvl 20 spirits should deal above 2 k magic damage with synergies and marrowwalk), 1 point in clay golem/mastery/resist and rest of the points in curses (mainly dim vision and decrepify).

But I can decide which weapon to put it in.

As oath has the indestructible mod it seems logical to put it in a eth weapon (which? Berserker axe?) but I'm also thinking of making it in a phase blade. It will be doing considerably less physical damage but its very fast (more spirits) and not being eth I could use the Level 16 Heart Of Wolverine charges from oath.

Any input / suggestions are welcome !

Raistlin

2. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

Best weapon for a melee mancer IMO is the runeword BEAST!

I think oatah is a nice weapon but it is more suitable for pure melee characters builds!

/Dec

3. Raistlin_Majere

Raistlin_Majere IncGamers Member

Thanks for the input :)

You'r probably right that beast is better but:
    1) It's more expensive
    2) I want to try something different.

I did'nt put it in my first post, but Im not planning to put too many resources in this "project". I just thought that as a necromancer I could take advantage of the fact that I could boost the synergies for spirit even further.
    However - if its not going too work (killing very slow in hell) I could use the mal for something else :D

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

The weapon depends on what you are aiming for. If you want to go promarily for the Spirit damage you'll need a very fast weapon. If you are planning on going the physical damage route you'll need a nice two-handed weapon with decent speed.

It can work and work well. Just don't expect to speed through Hell.

From a physical standpoint Beast is probably the best. Since it will grant you access to Bear form. This wil allow you to hit faster, have more life and defense. Also the Fanaticism is fantastic.

5. corax

corax IncGamers Member

Kinglsayer is an awesome weapon for meleemancers.
    vengeance, -enemy def, a % AR

its teh schnizzle. go with a 2hander though, 1 handers aren't worth it

6. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

The problem with Beast is that there is simply no reason not to go commandomancer when you have it. It's just too silly not too. It's also pricey. I just put obedience in a Thresher and am going to try a melee build with that and a generous helping of strength but I'm still not liking the minimum damage on the thing. The lvl 21 enchant on it kicking in should help that, but the IAS requirements are kind of huge too.

If you could afford it, I think an LR spamming Passion equipped Necro (for Zeal) with two or more of the Dragon/Dream runewords would be pretty sweet. Some might argue that you might as well play a pally, but paladins don't get corpse explode or curses and minions that can slow bosses to a crawl.

7. corax

corax IncGamers Member

its also rather silly to play a meleemancer in the first place when you think about it.

8. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

True true. I hate realizing my logic is flawed immediately after I post something.

Anyway, on the berserker vs. phase blade argument, the phase blade is the undeniable king of speed for most classes, but the zerker is surprisingly decent for a necro where speed is concerned and unlike the phase blade, it can be eth.

With the phase blade you can get to the minimum of 10 frames per attack with only 70% IAS which is 2.5 attacks a second. With the Zerker 78% will put you at 12 (2 attacks p/second), 119% will put you at 11 (2.2 attacks), and a dubious 194% will put you at 10 (2.5). I think the additional damage on top of the extra 50% from being eth will more than make up for the speed difference.

I would advice getting some minions with Oath since the Wolverine spirit is going to get killed pretty regularly even without skellies to provide other targets. A lot of hybrids use one point in skeleton mastery and a full 20 in skeletons to simply provide decent blockers. That will still leave you with plenty of points to synergize the bone spirit attack, since with marrow walks you will only need 61 points to fully synergize the bone spirit component of Oath. In fact you may simply want to attempt a poor man's commandomancer variant, banking on the wolverine spirit and a Might Merc to boost your skellie damage.

9. Weltkriegpally

Weltkriegpally IncGamers Member

I would suggest using an eth oath cryptic sword. The max damage is comparable to an ebotd zerker on a good one, and its much faster. Range isn't a huge factor in pvm, but damage is. Good luck, sir.!

--welt

10. UltraNull

UltraNull IncGamers Member

Frankly, maxing all the boneskills appears like the worst choise for a meleemancer to me.

Maxed Teath/Spear/Spirit will all be manahogs while you need str, dex and life so badly when going melee.
    Any backup skill will be better with a meleemancer then Teath/Spear/Spirit imho.

Am I missing someting or am I underestimating your masochism here? ;)

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

You are missing something. The Bone skills are maxed to provide synergy for the 30% Chance To Cast Level 20 Bone Spirit On Striking mod on Oath.