Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

oath and HOW

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by vrot, Sep 25, 2006.

1. vrot

vrot IncGamers Member

oath and HOW

I have a question regarding the oath rune word. If I make it in a non eth weapon I can repair the level 16 HOW charges. I want to compare the damage of an eth weapon with that of the same weapon non-eth and using level 16 HOW. It's seem simple enough, eth ads 50% damage and level 16 HOW ads 125%, however these calculations are never simple so I would appreciate some more opinions

2nd Question: Can I have the oath on switch and still have the HOW active, thus increasing damage on all weapons?

2. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

First question: HOW adds to skill damage, while eth adds to base weapon damage. If you already have skills that add to damage (WW, zeal, fury, etc) then you are most likely better off with eth instead.

Second question: No, you can't. It would be possible to have two oaths, tho. One eth and one non-eth which you can repair charges on.

3. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

1) Weapon damage is king. That 50% higher weapon damage correlates to approximately 50% higher damage output (depending somewhat on charms and rest of gear). OTOH, that 125%ed from HoW will get lumped in with all the rest of your off-weapon %ed, so it's generally going to be far less effective (you'd have to have less than ~250% off-weapon ed before HoW bonus for it to be worth it).

2) AFAIK, the sage will poof as soon as you switch back.

EDIT: pwnt.

4. vrot

vrot IncGamers Member

Thanks for the answers. Eth it is.

5. Ax2Grind

Ax2Grind IncGamers Member

If you're playing solo, it depends how much off-weapon damage you already have. If you're playing with others - mercenaries, minions, characters, etc. - the total amount of damage a spirit can give overpowers the individual benefit.

OTOH, if you have HoW on another item you don't switch away from (weapon switching is treated as disarming and re-arming, much like the trade screen, but only for weapons), say on a ring, you wouldn't lose the spirit even if it's a higher level.

6. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Wisp projector pwn ;)

7. MassiveErekchun

MassiveErekchun IncGamers Member

I should have known better than to trust some random guy from the forum. I wish people that didn't know better wouldn't spout off knowledge like they actually knew what the hell they were talking about.:dunce:

I traded for a non eth Oath based on the conversation in this post and imagine my displeasure at seeing my lvl 16 HOW charge from my Oath poof when I switched weapons IN SPITE OF THE FACT THAT I HAVE A WISP. I am posting this to hopefully prevent anyone else from following false information and wasting their hard earned runes.

-MassiveErekchun

8. Calizzar

Calizzar IncGamers Member

how do you repair the charges on an indestructible weapon (eternity)

9. Ax2Grind

Sorry to hear that, but...

I go by what I'm told.
    Recharging is done by repairing the item as usual, from the appropriate merchant in each act or cube recipe. Ethereal items cannot be repaired or recharged.

<!-- / message -->

10. Calizzar

Calizzar IncGamers Member

but neither can indestructible items right?

11. Ax2Grind

Indestructable, like the English definition, means it cannot be damaged, nothing else.

12. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

You can recharge indestructible items by repairing them. However, you cannot recharge ethereal, indestructible items.