Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

O/T. Asmo's new computer!!!!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Asmodeous, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

O/T. Asmo's new computer!!!!

I don't do a off topic thread very often. In fact, I think this is the first time!

Anyway, I would like to boast/brag/admit/etc that old asmo has finally been dragged into the 21st century as far as his computer goes. The old P3 750 & 1 gig systems are gone. Gone are the geforce 3 video cards, gone is 256 megs of sdram and windows 98se.
    I still have the reciepts for the old computers, dated 1999 and 2001.........

It has been a long time for this too happen.

So, what has taken their place?

Intel E6400 dual core 2.13 gig 2 meg cache CPU.
    Asus P5B motherboard.
    1 gig of crucial pc-6400 DDR2-800 ram.
    seagate 7200.10 320 gig hard drive.
    Sapphire ati radeon x1900gt 256 meg pci-ex video.
    tagan tg580-u15 580 watt power supply.
    thermal take matrix case.
    windows xp.
    acer 17 inch lcd screen.

and my old yamaha ystm-100 speakers, intel explorer mouse/keyboard, printer, scanner and so on.

You should see this thing fly! Titan quest runs smooth as with every setting wound up/enabled. patching mechwarrior on my old computer took about 2-3 minutes. This computer did it in about 15 seconds tops!
    I even tried a 7 photo merge in adobe photoshop. (images 6.3 megapixel) which would crash my old computer. This new box? about 7 seconds!

-Getting used to xp is going to take a while. Look what happens in ATMA! I hover my mouse over my items and a little window pops up with all the info!
    - Auto update kicks in every 10 seconds!
    - internet explorer pop up blocker blocks something from every web site I go to!
    - Zone alarm conflicts with everything xp does!
    - I can't change my hard drive assigned letter!
    - seperate user profile for the wife so she doesn't see my erm, desktops!
    - xp telling me that everything I download except from microsoft dot com is a virius!

:soapbox:

2. vajurewi

vajurewi IncGamers Member

:thumbsup: for your new rig.

faster pron downloads and hiding ability from wifey w 2nd user profile. whats not to like.
    make sure you set up her screen with some purple flowers :flowers: to make her feel special

some xp advice -
    1. run the system backup utility once a month and before any big software install
    2. download all the xp updates to a specific folder and burn a cdrom of all the updates every 3-4 months. if you ever have to system restore from a backup or :embarassed: have to re-format xp, just pop the updates cdrom in to bring you back up to speed quickly (if you let XP updater do it automatically the files get put into a random TMP file - Ive had the misfortune of sitting thru 5+ months of security updates to get caught up after a system restore)

3. GooberGrape

GooberGrape IncGamers Member

Quick, partition and install Ubuntu on dual-boot before it's too late.

Otherwise, sick setup. You should be able to run about 150 instances of Diablo 2 :laugh:

-GG

4. Asmodeous

Sounds like good advice. I have that system restorer thing activated. Never thought of that.
    Keep the xp advice coming. Im a total newb to this 4 year old program! :shocked:

5. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

O-M-G. P3? Win98? You really were living in the dark ages.

You know, I like people like you. :cool:

I know the feeling... :cloud9: I got a new system 1.5 years ago. The flat screen monitor is the best of the lot. No more big chunky cube in front of you. Instead, a nice, elegant flat screen to adore. Mmmmm...

Ok, enough geeky talk from me. Nice one, Asmo. :thumbsup:

6. Asmodeous

Yeah. I guess im one of those "if it aint broke, don't fix it types". the old p3's are as old as this game after all so they ran d2, quake 3, ut2k4 and so on ok. But yeah, it's been a long time since I bought a new computer game on account of the small print on the bottom of the box's. "system requirements". Ouch. Pain.
    And the fans where getting noisy and the hard drive started reporting bad sectors. (20 gig) I thought about a new box/psu/windows xp/hard drive upgrade but by the time I priced those components, it wasn't that much more money for the cpu/mobo/ram/video. Well, that's what I told the Dept of M.I.S.S.U.S anyway! (Management In Surplus Spendables, Utilities & Sundries)

Yep. Im a dead man if the wife ever notices the missing fundies from that account. But the yearly tax refund helped cover a good portion of it.

I wandered into my local computer game shop on friday. Bought q4, TQ and was given a copy of doom 3 from my dad. I read the system requirements and laughed! I loaded up every game I have worth playing and it only fills up 43 gigs of spece! Muahahahaaa!!

I wonder what over games I can get next?

7. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Funny thing is, I now have a very advanced desktop, but I don't buy any new games. It seems like D2 is the only game I play nowadays. Many of today's games have no depth, and are just clones of old classics or generic shoot-em-ups. Just look on the shelves and its some Star Trek thing, Star Wars thing, X-Men, LotR, etc. Or Command and Conquer I, II, III, XXXVVVIII, Civilisation I, II, III, IV, etc. There just isn't anything new.

Having said that, you must play the Total War series. And look out for Medieval Total War 2. Half-Life 2. And Homeworld (a classic and a ground breaker in its day, and the graphics are still gorgeous even now) and Homeworld 2.

8. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

sick box your running there, wish my hunk of junk was that good lol. and to add to the lists of games to run you MUST cheak out oblvion its ace just so much to do on it and the storys quite strong as well (althought the speed you advance in guilds can be quite silly. 0-master in a day :p althought that mite be because i played it yesterday for 12 hours

9. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

I still use 98SE :girly:

I would've chosen different (better quality) case and psu, though (Antec p150/Solo/NeoHE/Seasonic for example). Otherwise :thumbsup:

10. Atil

Atil IncGamers Member

Add Max Payne 2, Farcry and GTA: San Andreas and you will never leave the house again.

11. icudodo

icudodo IncGamers Member

Congrats on the new computer Asmodeous. I am waiting until Windows Vista comes out before I get a whole new system since support for XP ends a couple of years after.

As for some advice, I assume you already know about running Antivirus, Antispyware, and firewall software. Also, run as a limited user account for safety.

12. Ashmer Amadeus

Ashmer Amadeus IncGamers Member

Until I bought my current computer about two and a half years ago, I was running on a k6-2 400MHZ Compaq from Staples. I would partition your hard drive. Make a small partition just for the OS and that kind of thing. 15 GB should be fine. My hdd is 120 gb and I've done that. One part is 14gb and the other is 99. Doing this will save you from having to delete everything should you need to reformat your new computer. Install all your games to one partition, and all windows type stuff on the other. It saves time, and it helps keep you orginized. I wish I had a new computer.......

13. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Gratz asmo! You might have just spent $1k+ to destroy your social life, and the best thing is, you won't regret it! :grin:

Yeah, I haven't played the predecessors, but Rome: Total War is the only game other than D2 that I play. And the very thought of Medieval 2 makes me excited (and worried if my machine will be able to run it smoothly by the time I get the game).

There's also the Hellgate: London that we all are waiting for, right?

14. Asmodeous

The case/PSU was a bit of a sticking point. Firstly the case had to fit into my desk rebate with some air space around it which is why I picked this case, its a bit shorter and narrower than cases like the p150 and armour. I would have liked a better case like that but I was limited.

The PSU was a case of availability. A lot of brands just aren't available where I live forcing me to either import or order from east side of australia to get a silverstone/thermaltake/antec. Also this PSU met the video card requirements stated by the manufacturer of 35 amps single rail where as PSU's like the 750watt toughpower TK only has 17amps on each of it's 4 rails.

Currently enjoying Q4 atm. I love winding the volume up and letting rip with some big thumping gun. The speakers I have are top shelf quality, timber enclosures, seperate tweeters, 40 watts rms built in power. they simply sound astounding.
    I'm already planning my first upgrade once the spendies recover a bit, Xf-i sound and another gig of ram. Should be good!