O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! (SCO vs. IBM)

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! (SCO vs. IBM)

I was only planning to post the two Impeachment threads, but this item caught me by surprise. It won't mean much to the non-geeks here, but the vile case of SCO vs. IBM, which is actually a Micro$oft-funded smear campaign against Linux, is falling apart (finally). The initial ruling was upheld, which means that all the lies and pretensions which SCO was trying to pass off as legitimate have been finally stripped from the case - leaving SCO and David Boies crew with close to bupkis in taking on the Nazgul.

Personally, I hope SCO has their intestines sucked out through a straw, for all the malevolence they've exhibited. Too bad that the final ruling can't force SCO to turn their code Open Source...

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
You know, you could provide a little background for people who aren't familiar with this case.

Bortaz

Banned
Why don't you just admit what we all already know...you didn't know what the Jabberwocky was.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
And the slithy toves did gyre and gimbal in the wabe? Of course I know Jabberwocky.

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
*Smites Bortaz with his Vorpal sword*
Dungeons & Dragons citations will get you nowhere. But I've got to admit, I was surprised to see 2 pages worth... until I noticed you were just running up your post count.

As I said, this is an issue for Linux geeks. Micro$oft has been doing its damnedest to kill Linux, and one of the venues is a trumped-up lawsuit by SCO, which used to be called Caldera and was part of the Open Linux consortium. SCO took a huge M$FT cash infusion to sue IBM over Intellectual Property: the basic claim was that IBM had copied reams of Unix System V code into Linux, and that since SCO now owned System V they therefore owned Linux.

If you want a better description, poke around the site I referred to, Groklaw. Basically, not only has the judge thrown out almost all of what the case was supposed to be built on, but SCO is still stuck with the counter-suits (not only IBM but other companies they pissed off) and they have been shown to not even really own Unix System V.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Dungeons & Dragons citations will get you nowhere. But I've got to admit, I was surprised to see 2 pages worth... until I noticed you were just running up your post count.
D&D? You geek, if I was going to refer to something other than the original source of the word "vorpal" it'd be the bunnies...

As I said, this is an issue for Linux geeks. Micro$oft has been doing its damnedest to kill Linux, and one of the venues is a trumped-up lawsuit by SCO, which used to be called Caldera and was part of the Open Linux consortium. SCO took a huge M$FT cash infusion to sue IBM over Intellectual Property: the basic claim was that IBM had copied reams of Unix System V code into Linux, and that since SCO now owned System V they therefore owned Linux.

If you want a better description, poke around the site I referred to, Groklaw. Basically, not only has the judge thrown out almost all of what the case was supposed to be built on, but SCO is still stuck with the counter-suits (not only IBM but other companies they pissed off) and they have been shown to not even really own Unix System V.
Heh, that's just funny.

I'm not very familiar with the history of Linux, I thought it was essentially Unix at the outset... and I didn't know IBM was involved in its creation.

DurfBarian

Diabloii.Net Member
Good news on the SCO front there.

Jmervyn, are you following the MS/Novell Linux deal at all? I haven't been keeping up with the details but it looks like it might turn into more of the same sort of tricks.

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Good news on the SCO front there.

Jmervyn, are you following the MS/Novell Linux deal at all? I haven't been keeping up with the details but it looks like it might turn into more of the same sort of tricks.
I've been following that a little bit, but I get lost in the legal details.

Silent Shaddow

Diabloii.Net Member
lol, my dad still speaks about the days when IBM 1st employed a little know guy 2 write some OS code for thier hardware, they thought it was so insignifcant that they decided not to buy the IP rights to it...
hmmmm that little guy is still a little guy but with lots of cash
(disclaimer: i think thats how it goes i usually switch off for my dads ramblings)

Steel_Avatar

Diabloii.Net Member
But . . . but . . . Novell!

I hate to say it jmervyn, but since I got out of school and started working, I've become more and more a MS junkie.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
That's because you dirty sell-outs in the real world want your OS to actually... run software... unthinkable!

jmervyn

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm not very familiar with the history of Linux, I thought it was essentially Unix at the outset... and I didn't know IBM was involved in its creation.
Linux was an original work by Linus Torvalds, but the proper name would be GNU/Linux. One of the things SCO & others tried to pretend is that writing an OS from scratch was an impossible task; in fact Torvalds wrote the kernel (I know of at least one guy in the University of Arizona who wrote part of one) and the "GNU's Not UNIX" libraries were largely something headed up by the infamous Richard Stallman. P.S. Who said I don't like commies?