Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nutrition question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Isolde212, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

Nutrition question

I am always hearing about people cutting pasta and rice and sugar out of their diets. I am by no means doing the "no carb" diet thing but is their an alternative to these heavy carb staples. I am trying to find something else that fills me up. Even though I'm eating whole grain pasta and long grain brown rice I know that they still have heavy carbs. Is there something else that will go with my meals?

2. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Beans and beer

3. Stompwampa

Stompwampa IncGamers Member

Forget the whole diet thing.
    Just eat healthy foods...which is pretty much anything. And then keep on with a regular, weekly exercise routine.
    People always try so hard to lose weight/maintain a healthy weight, when the formula is so simple: eat healthy and exercise...simple as that :thumbsup:

4. HaLoPhReAk

HaLoPhReAk IncGamers Member

StompaWompa was partially correct, exercise does help alot! But... diet is quite important also, there is bread that has nearly no carbs. Eat lots of nuts also, filling and no carbs. Also there are peanut butters that don't have carbs. Brown rice is low carbs also, because of the fiber on it, it lowers the net carb count. About pasta and stuff.....i dont know about those white starches, they are pretty narly in carbs. It all depends on how strict you want to be with yourself. There is something though!!!!!! its called Metamusal and it is herbal stuff that really helps!! also a glass of wine really helps keep your glucose level down!

EDIT: this is for diabetes right? not weight loss/control?

5. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

Yeah it is to manage my glucose levels. The crappy thing is that I as much as I do need some carbs I also don't need a lot of them. But I don't find my meals as filling without them. Also I am not used to cooking without pasta or rice or some kind of sidedish like that.

6. bg1256

bg1256 IncGamers Member

The "south beach diet" and its various varieties of low-carb plans have one big flaw:
    They replace carbs with fat.

A healthier way would be to increase veggies, legumes, etc., and lower meat intakes. I wouldn't worry about cutting out pasta, especially if you're using whole grain stuff.

edit: Interestinly, your diet should consist of 50%-65% complex carbs, depending on which source you use... which makes me wonder why people are so crazy about this low-carb thing.

edit2: I just saw this is for your glucose levels...for diabetes, I assume?

7. Stompwampa

but this is assuming that carbs are bad for you...and they are not if you use them correctly. Which is why I said to eat healthy foods. But really, anything can be a healthy food if you pair it with other foods.

You could have a nice steak dinner with carrots and broccoli and a glass of water. Perfectly healthy, and you probably won't finish it all...unless it's a tiny steak.

8. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

Oatmeal'll stick ta yer ribs, lassie. And barley soup is good as well.
    ya mite wanna try sum haggis while yer at it as well.

ok ok I"ve never had haggis myself.

9. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

We had haggis in Scotland. It's actually pretty good stuff.

10. RevenantsKnight

RevenantsKnight IncGamers Member

Waitaminute...Metamucil is a laxative. Don't use it to fill space in a meal, or you might get a nasty surprise.

It is sort of on the right track, though...as mentioned, fiber makes you feel full, which helps cut down on the carb intake. Vegetables and whole grains are good bets here, aside from their other benefits.

11. HoboGod

HoboGod IncGamers Member

Those "no carb" diets are unhealthy. People become thin in those diets because of malnutrition, not proper dieting. If you're going to do something that's dangerous for your health, you're better off fasting (at least you'll save money.)

But I'm in no possition to give a healthy alternative, I'm overweight and don't give a ****. Stompwampa's suggestion is probably the most practical.

12. Stompwampa

my best friend did the WeightWatchers diet with his father, and they did very well with it. But Weightwatchers isn't about taking foods out of your diet...it merely a simple way to eat healthy by placing a point value on foods based on what they are.
    However, my friend and his dad aslo kept up a regular exercise regime several times a week.
    So yea...WeightWatchers is the only diet I've seen that actually works.
    And once you've lost the weight, you have to keep on with whatever you were doing in order to maintain the weightloss, otherwise it will all come back in a few months...and then some usually.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Diets are pretty much a waste of time unless you have some sort of condition which requires a specific dietary intake. Just eat things that don't completely ooze with fat and oil and exercise more if you're still putting on weight.

Then it wasn't made right...

14. Isolde212

Isolde212 Banned

I want to make perfectly clear that I am not on a diet. I am trying to incorporate healthy eating habits into my lifestyle because I am borderline diabetic. I don't care about losing weight or anything (I'm happy how I look and so is my hubby) I just want to be healthy. All I want to know is if there are alternative foods out there that I don't know about.

15. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

#1 I think I speak for the majority of males on here, we are more than happy with how you look in your 'tar. :grin:
    #2 I guess you already knew about oatmeal.

16. Stompwampa

then there you go. Eat heatlhy food...which, a dondrei said, not oozing with greese and not haggis...
    and then exercise regularly. boom, you're set.

17. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

As long as the food is relatively fresh and not drowning in fat it's healthy. So basically just keep the fast food to a minimum.

18. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member