Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nuremberg trials for global warming skeptics?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sir EvilFreeSmeg, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Nuremberg trials for global warming skeptics?

Linky to more links

I'll see your fascist tactics and raise you an armed response.

2. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

People keep saying that the reckless use of Holocaust terminology does a disservice to those who suffered through it, but I put it to you that at least people know what the Holocaust was. Victims of other ethnic cleansing campaigns don't even get mentioned...

3. Ikeren

Ikeren IncGamers Member

Are the other ethnic cleasning/genocides named something specific?

I've heard the genocide of Indian's referred to as the Trail of Tears, specfically marching them out of their land under armed guard while starving/freezing during-pre USA North America. But I've never heard of Rwanda or Darfur with a coined name...

4. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

And I put it to you that most people have a skewed view of what the Holocaust was. We are harangued to never forget the Holocaust, yet the other four or five million people that were exterminated [/i]are[/i] forgotten. It seems we have to remember the Jews, but it's okay to forget the millions of Romani that were slaughtered with the exact same ethnic justification of decadence. The millions of "mentally or genetically defective" people that the Nazis also killed are ignored (after all, they were only commies, queers, retards and geeks). The Jews got their own homeland (that at one point was nearly in Australia of all places), but the Gypsies are still mostly without rights or status and subject to ethnic discrimination in much of Europe. The Nazis never even came close to exterminating all the Jews in Europe... but they did almost succeed in achieving a Gypsy free Europe.

We are told we have to remember the six million Jews that the Nazis killed so that it never happens again, but we ignore the 12 million plus that Stalin exterminated. Cambodia, Rwanda, Darfur... those and others don't matter because they didn't happen to "important people" and are not therefore worthy of rememberance.

Some countries have a Holocaust Memorial Day, this truly saddens me. We are forced to remember and feel bad for what happened to the Jews, they take every opportunity to remind people about it (I even saw an Israeli woman in her twenties screaming during the recent Lebanon crisis that her grandmother was a Holocaust survivor and now look, her son has a broken arm, when will the torture end?) but ignore the other 20th century slaughters. I am waiting for the day someone comes up with a word, better than genocide, that can be used to replace the word Holocaust and rid it of the Jewish connotation. What happened to the Jews certainly needs to be remembered, but they are not 'special' and do not deserve to be remembered at the expense of the millions more that were exterminated during the last century.

Because the USA didn't exist until 1900?

Hmmm... I probably should read the latest installment of Smeg's Troll of the Week.

Sooo... putting the Nazis on trial for war crimes was a fascist tactic? Good to see you still don't know wtf a fascist is Smeg. Keep it up, your lunacy gets funnier, if not scarier, every day. Should we appease the naysayers or do you believe they are right, and global climate change isn't a problem, just like Hitler in the 1930s?

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

That's kind of a symptom of the fact no-one cares, right?

Don't know about the numbers exactly, but you're preaching to the choir.

P.S. That reminds me, I absolutely have to start a Gay Zionist movement and demand the right to a homeland for gay people.

6. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

http://www.amazon.com/Man-Is-Wolf-Surviving-Gulag/dp/0520221524

Ever read that book? I did, around 16 or 17. It scared the living **** out of me. I didn't even know what a Gulag was or what happened there until I read it. I'm not trying in any way belittle what happened to the Jews, but sending people to work in Siberia...

7. Sokar Rostau

No, I havn't read it. The mere fact that you have to say "I'm not trying in any way to belittle what happened to the Jews", so as not to be labelled as some kind of apologist (and the classic turn around is that by saying that you get accused of being that very thing... ), is illustrative of my point.

8. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

You're going to shoot people for holding mock trials of idiots? Huh.

9. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

Sending people to Siberia, even for work, was nothing new. It was a punishment oft used by the Czars. The form of organised labour-camps from which you hardly could hope surviving, let alone fleeing (the Gulag), were the new invention: back in the Czars' time, the people who went to Siberia still lived according to their rank: nobles and petty officials got a nice little manor and lived there in a well-to-do fashion, while the serfs, well, they kept on working. Herein was the radical change. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (?????????? ???????????) made the world-famous title of the The Gulag Archipelago, which probably paints a wider picture. If you haven't tried it out yet, I suggest you do.

10. Stoutwood

Stoutwood IncGamers Member

While we are bringing up obscure genocides, what about all of those people Mao killed off and no one noticed because it was essentially removing a drop from the bucket?

11. WildBerry

WildBerry IncGamers Member

I think that's partly because there's so much controversy over whether it was mainly an intentional or mainly an accidental logistical ****-up (I, personally, would go with the former one). It's much easier going around placing the blame on deaths mainly dealt on death-camps; in the Great Leap Forward people were mostly starving (this, of course, means not that the Chinese had not their own Gulag Archipelago; just that the part of these camps was by far less significant than other media of death) and it's kind of hard to determine in what parts it's just a young centralist government not knowing which strings to pull and in what parts malicious intent. I assume you were not talking Cultural Revolution, since in that case things just got out of ol' Chairman's hand, and I'm not sure if he should be entirely held accountable for anything more than not letting the army interfere with the idiotism earlier.

12. Johnny

Johnny Banned

You already have san francisco.

13. PlagueBearer

PlagueBearer IncGamers Member

And then in a hundred years you'll have to do it all over again because the first generation would be the last.

Unless of course you import youngins or just artificially insemitate each other. Of course either of these options would start a small straight population wich would grow faster than yours... and then what would you do?

14. PFS

PFS IncGamers Member

I know a couple of people from eastern europe who view the Nazis as the 'good guys'. Well... to put it in perspective... the 'not so bad guys when compared to the Russians'.

15. Sokar Rostau

Deport the degenerates. If that doesn't work, there's always labour camps... there's a camp joke in there somewhere, and possibly something about sequines.

16. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

No, no, no - just give all gay people a right of return. In fact if all the gay people in the world move to Gayistan, it'd be one of the biggest countries on earth.

17. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

....and the most fabulously decorated.

ECI's old avatar could be used on their flag!

18. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

Wildberry - Thanks, I'll check that book out.

I suppose if we (US) had been around that long, we'd have done something similar.

*waits for the outcry of "What about the slaves?!"*

19. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Stop giving him the attention he so desperately craves, that avatar wasn't funny.

20. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member