Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Number of possible sockets by ilvl

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by kridebbent, Feb 10, 2004.

1. kridebbent

kridebbent IncGamers Member

Number of possible sockets by ilvl

Can someone give me a rundown on how ilvl relates to the maximum number of sockets an item can have? I've heard ilvl 26 is required for the max, but I have seen 2-socket wands at normal Drognan, and I'm pretty sure he isn't ilvl 26.

Also -- if you use a socketing quest on a low-ilvl item, will it give you the max number of sockets for the item type, or the max number of sockets for the ilvl?

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

The max number of sockets varies by item type (bow, crossbow, sword, etc.) and by the exact item (Short Bow, Hunter's Bow, etc.).

There are 3 'breakpoints' for sockets: ilvl 1, ilvl 25, ilvl 40. These are set according to the item type rather than the exact item - to give you an example, Bow types get a max of 3 up to ilvl 24, 4 up to ilvl 39, and 6 from ilvl 40 upwards.

(Wands, incidentally, are 2/2/2, so all wands can get 2 sockets unless the specific item, eg. Wand, Yew Wand, Burnt Wand, has a lower cap)

The list of sockets in items can be found here.

The socket quest gives you the maximum possible by ilvl, so you need an ilvl 40+ item to get maximum sockets - you can exploit this on occasion to get fewer sockets (eg. on Flails).

3. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

There are 3 item level ranges to worry about as far as sockets go. 1-25, 26-40, and 41+. Each socketable item type has a maximum number of sockets available within each of those ranges (they may be all the same).

For example, a Bone Wand is 2/2/2, which means it has max sockets 2 in all of the ranges (which means in this case, it doesn't really matter what level it is). A Colossus Blade is 3/4/6, which means it can get up to 3 if it is ilvl 25 or less, up to 4 if it is 26-40, 6 if it is ilvl 41 or more.

Now, Drognan doesn't have an ilvl. He is an NPC. He conceivably has an mlvl, but you can't kill him, so it doesn't matter :) The items he sells though will have ilvl equal to your clvl +5, but with a cap on that of 20 in normal.

When you use a socketing quest on an item, it will give you the max sockets for that item with that item level. On the realms, the only way to know an item's ilvl is knowing where it came from - ie what monster dropped it (ilvl = mlvl) or if it was used in a cube recipe that changed its ilvl. If you tell me what you are looking for I can give a suggestion.

A useful source for the number of sockets an item can have in each of the ranges is Adeyke's upgrade calculator
    http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~deykea/d2weapons.html
    http://www.cs.colostate.edu/~deykea/d2armours.html
    (this is primarily for checking stats on upgraded items, but it also can tell you max sockets)

[edit] Cool Shade, I'd never seen that list on dii.net before! Always learning :) BTW, there is still argument over whether it is 1-24 or 1-25 etc, but last I heard there was agreement that it was as I listed, even though that is not what dii.net says.

4. kridebbent

kridebbent IncGamers Member

Thanks for the great info. I'm not so sure the diabloii.net table is 100% accurate, I could swear I have seen 2-socket Circlets. I haven't messed with the calculator enough to figure it out yet.

5. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Oops - yes, the info on diabloii.net is for 1.09 so it's mostly accurate, but Circlets/Coronets can now get 2 sockets, and Tiaras/Diadems can now get 3.

They follow the same path as other headgear items, so it shouldn't be too tricky to figure out :)