Nowgamer "Making of Diablo" article

fmulder

Site Contributor
Nowgamer "Making of Diablo" article

A good read with some comments from Dave Brevik:

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/853/the-making-of-diablo

“We joked that Diablo needed to pass the ‘mom test’,†Brevik laughs, “so we asked ourselves: is it simple enough that my mom could play it, or will she not understand it? If it was too complicated then we either changed it so that it wasn’t, or introduced it over time in a step-by-step fashion so that complex concepts were broken down over time. We deliberately made the game extremely easy to use and accessible to a wide range of gamers. This was done to widen the audience and make it more of a mass-market kind of game. The core gamers still mattered to us, but we wanted it simple enough so that anyone could play it.â€

Flux

Administrator
Re: Nowgamer "Making of Diablo" article

Ironic that it's from Retro Gamer Magazine, since it's a retro article. Right at the start they describe Dave as CVO of Flagship Studios. Flagship closed in August 2008.

It's always fun to hear about the early days, though.

theeliminator

The truly Ironic part is that the original team wanted to make the game easy enough that a mom could play it, while you have all these "Diablo fans" saying that D3 shouldn't be easy to play. That they should make it as hard as the original team would have made it. LOL what a croc, its always been about easy to get into game play

The truly Ironic part is that the original team wanted to make the game easy enough that a mom could play it, while you have all these "Diablo fans" saying that D3 shouldn't be easy to play. That they should make it as hard as the original team would have made it. LOL what a croc, its always been about easy to get into game play
I have always been saying Diablo 3 should be very simple to play... I think there were some fans wanted tactical combat instead of visceral combat.

konfeta

Diabloii.Net Member

Normal can be easy enough for grandmothers to play for all I care. But give me my nightmarish Nightmare and hellish Hell.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

what they need is the real challenge to start at max level. make the game slowly get harder as you play then when you max out make sure that is when the most challenging content begins

konfeta

Diabloii.Net Member

Why wait so long? The path through the second half of the levels should be marked by endless rivers of n00bie tears and blood, peppered by washed away cookie crumbs which were no doubt lovingly baked and cautiously crumbled by grandmothers who read too much of Brothers Grimm to their innocent grandchildren.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

what i mean is, i agree normal should be beat able by all, and based on d2 i thought nightmare should also. always thought hell was where the real challenge lies but what i mean is, i want to be able to solo all 3 but i want content for maxed only chars that you cannot solo. something that requires a team with good team work. i guess they would be D3's version of raids.

note: thought nightmare should be beatable by all in d2 cause half the time you didnt even unlock the top skill by beating normal. hope this is different in d3

konfeta

Diabloii.Net Member

Need both end-game content and difficulty levels being actual difficulty bumps rather than a perfectly scaled retread of normal content.

Though, careful on the "content not solable" thing. This be Diablo, after all.

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

Bashiok has also said that all content will be soloable.

The difficulty scaling with number of people is intended to more-or-less preserve solo difficulty. They'll be balancing the scaling such that 4 people of level 20 killing level 20 monsters experience about the same difficulty of game as 1 person of level 20 killing level 20 monsters.

But yeah, konfeta, I've been saying that all along. :) Nightmare and Hell should be harder than normal, not just another run through where everything has a higher level and more HP and damage.

Basically, make the game harder, EVEN if you're at an appropriate level for the content, in Nightmare and Hell. Perhaps enemies have different abilities. Maybe there's more. Perhaps they do more damage, relatively. Maybe there's even some new enemies. Ideally, all of these things.

If we can have a proper difficulty scaling, hopefully we can avoid cheap one-hit kills that made D2 so frustrating at times. Nothing really presents a challenge in D2 except for those.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

i stand by all the story content should be soloable, i just would like 4 man (if it stays the max players) "raids" so to speak. something that not only required 4 people but 4 people really working together

konfeta

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd rather see 4 player games have difficulty scaled up accordingly rather than being a requirement for beating things. A challenge dungeon should be a challenge dungeon, whenever solo or group. And beatable by both.

Flux

Administrator

the problem is that "soloable" varies a lot over time. New tactics, new items, new builds, etc.

I remember panic and hysteria when v1.10 came out and people thought it was much too hard. And it was, for a lot of v.109 builds. Needless to say, fans found new builds and adapted to the new v1.10 items, and overcame the challenges.

What the D3 team thinks is the upper limit of "solo-able" will become routine in 6 months. Then it's a question. Do they adapt the game and make it harder, trying to retain the high end challenge, knowing that that will probably shut those areas out to noobs and the less skilled? Perhaps some of their much-vaunted, secret end game content will address this, and they'll be adding b.net-only high end encounters and scenarios that will remain challenging for anyone?

Flux

Administrator

I'd also point out that Dave's "so easy my mom can play it" doesn't mean the whole game has to be at a level where a non-gamer can complete it, clicking semi-randomly. It just means the game isn't off-putting and inscrutable to a beginner.

That kind of accessibility is a design goal of every Bliz game. It's the "minute to learn, lifetime to master" theory.

Nekora

Diabloii.Net Member

I'd also point out that Dave's "so easy my mom can play it" doesn't mean the whole game has to be at a level where a non-gamer can complete it, clicking semi-randomly. It just means the game isn't off-putting and inscrutable to a beginner.

That kind of accessibility is a design goal of every Bliz game. It's the "minute to learn, lifetime to master" theory.
This. I think Blizzard is shooting for the idea that anyone who's more-or-less competent at video games should be able to learn D3, and probably complete Normal mode after learning the ropes.

But Nightmare and Hell will have a difficulty jump, and Hell will be actually a bit hard to complete. Dave's mom wouldn't stand a chance. But that's OK because Dave's mom probably could beat Normal if she had the drive to learn the game and complete it.

fmulder

Site Contributor

Exactly. Most games start out easy. The first level / mission can be completed by most non-gamer on the first attempt. Difficulty increases as new weapons, skills, opponents and other challenges are introduced to the player.

Apocalypse

Diabloii.Net Member

i just hope if they have a tutorial or pop up helps it can be shut off. would suck to go through that crap 100 times lol

konfeta

Diabloii.Net Member

the problem is that "soloable" varies a lot over time. New tactics, new items, new builds, etc.
Can be accounted for with progressively higher difficulty of end-game content. Besides, new tactics and better equip alone won't magically absolve difficulty for most players if this is done correctly. For all you know, the difference between top gear and best gear character in such content is a few second buffer upon screwing up - player execution and tactics, ability to adapt to unpredictable enemy compositions and environment can still be made the deciding factor.

A useful tool for Blizzard would be an infinite enemies mode with progressively increasing challenge - they would have direct access to what kind problems players can overcome given popular gear load outs and builds, and carefully design challenges using that information.