Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nova

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Ash Housewares, May 23, 2005.

1. Ash Housewares

Ash Housewares IncGamers Member

Nova

whatever happened to nova?

I'm thinking I want to do a nova sorc and also thinking it'd be fun to be something of a tank, so how bad would I be if I went something like

max nova
    max lit mast
    max FO
    10+ shiver armor

will I atleast have some fun with this you think?

2. Big Mog

Big Mog IncGamers Member

I remember Nova from the first Diablo - it was the ultimate spell (except for apocalypse). I was actually considering a build like this not long ago, but I don't have any spare items or time for it.

3. hulla-hop

hulla-hop IncGamers Member

well, nova just didnt get any synergies, so its kinda nerfed considering that monsters got a boost to their life. if you want tankability go for a highlvl energyshield+maxed telekinesis and lotsa mana. maybe like 50/50 lvita/energy. the higher es, the more in energy.

4. Ash Housewares

ugh I was kinda scared to go the energy shield route with nova guzzling mana as it does

5. hulla-hop

hulla-hop IncGamers Member

true, didnt think about that :)

going with hard skillpoints in the armors is a waste tho imo. you prolly wont be wearing highdef stuff as a sorc, so it wont benefit much

6. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Nova is fine, it just needs good gear to be a butcher in hell. FCR and damage is priority, defense is second - which is why I opted for Energy Shield (it'll help alot against ranged enemies, nova will eat melee monsters).

I went for a Whistans for the low dex requirement for max block, socketed with an eld it was even cheaper, a lightning facet would probably have been better, but yeah... :p

FO/Nova is perfectly viable. :)

7. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

i made a fireball / nova sorc. the nova is in the mid 30's and doing 1.5 k i think ish damage and lit mastery isnt even maxed yet. =o i mostly use nova as back up but it still does enough damage to kill all fire immunes except listers pack.

8. GargonCerlan

GargonCerlan IncGamers Member

IIRC, depending on the gear you plan to use, the +mana after each kill items (silkweaves, lidless, occulus[bad idea IMO for a tanking sorc, kinda defeats the purpose but you get the idea]) might help out the mana thing, crescent moon although only +2 mana after each kill might be a viable weapon, high def eth prudence (again only +2 mana) may be helpful, or you could even go with a phoenix weapon for the redemption factor. In any case, this would affect your cast rate, but as long as you dont want something like 200% fcr you could definitely go with one of these. In order to have a nova sorc be viable, you would have to have quite a large mana pool. My lvl ** Chain lightning sorc which is currently adding points to Nova for the synergy has a lvl 35 nova which does 1642-2169 dmg at 49 mana cost... now if you factor in a few statics, you pretty much cut the number of nova casts in half. Whether an insight act 2 merc would help out with this, I dont know as i use infinity on my merc as of now. I would be happy to help you test out how many casts I get with my nova with my current mana pool if you'd like to give you an idea of what you have to do to make it successful. let us know how it turns out if you make one. cheers! :drink:

9. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

well, if you are going to use nova along with es, there is no way out other than maxing warmth too.
    Nova gulps mana like there is no tomorrow, especially at those high levels you will want to reach. Along with high castrate, the drain will be noticable ;)
    And most surely, monsters will close up on you, so the energyshield will get working too. Voila! 2 managulping sources. Make sure you wear mana regen equip! :lol:
    Its a very cool build though. Try it!

10. LordQuas

LordQuas IncGamers Member

PvP tele-nova sounds interesting enough to try, its a tactic I haven't seen since the days of old (like, 1.03 old).

@Ash: Peace and props for the top notch frenzy guide bro :D

EDIT: Off the top of my head here's a low lvl gear setup

Helm: Arcanna, then Peasent Crown
    Armor: Arcanna, then Que-Hegans
    Ammy: Arcanna, then EOE or Mahim-Oak
    Weapon: Spectral Shard till Wizspike @ 61
    Shield: Wall of the Eyeless till Lidless or Splendor
    Gloves: Magefist
    Belt: Lenymo or Nightsmoke (or the ever popular cracked sash tech :D)
    Shoes: personal preference, but i'd say treads and sanders are good choices for combat maneuverability, as well treads will give you a boost vs. missiles

11. Ash Housewares

well as far as mana regen I was thinking of ditching the tanking for that meditation runeword in a scythe for style points, that'd cost me blocking, def, skill points, but I could still manage a decent cast rate and spam nova crazily

and glad you liked the frenzy guide, I was thinking of moving arcannas stuff over and using that

12. Jek

Jek IncGamers Member

Or maybe just slap the Insight on a Holy Freeze merc? :D

13. Grobyc

Grobyc IncGamers Member

Insight will allow you to spam Nova for quite a while, but your killing speed will be slower compared to an Infinity.

I'm opposed to using Nova in general (other than normal) because you're in melee range and even melee fighters have trouble surviving, let alone a sorceress, the damage also isn't all that high and it drains your mana so fast, it's unbelievable. You're most likely going to have to wear Nightsmoke and Aldur's Boots to gain back some of the mana if your merc is going to wear the Infinity (which I suggest you do).

14. Ash Housewares

the efficiency of an insight merc is insignificant compared to how stylish it'd look when I wear it

15. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

Nova, combined with TS is nice. Max LM and slap on as much +skills gear and more important either +xx% damage gear or -xx% lightning res. A combination fo both would be satisfying.

Then you can still fit in either Frozen Orb, or ES with 20TK and the rest of ES coming form your +skills.

Meditation runeword sounds the way to go.

16. Dad Daniel

Dad Daniel IncGamers Member

If you put the spare points into warmth, you will make one good possiblity for a BODOM sorc - my favourite one!
    The problem is to find +3lighting skills/+3lighting mastery/+3 nova/+3Thunderstorm/20fcr orb - really hard to find by is perfect exactly for NOVA/Thuneder/Holy shock smasher. Put the one perfect uped viper, good +2sorc/15-20cast amu crafted/ gloves 20fcr/arach - and you will have 105-110 fcr - that means fast teleport and fast cast NOVA. 44lvl lighting mastery/Nova/Thunder storm is really nice combine dwith 30 lvl holy shock!
    Especially, if you equip your merc with infinity!