Nova Sorceress worth trying?

TeamMonkey

Diabloii.Net Member
Nova Sorceress worth trying?

I have a few OK sorc items, ie. oculus, vipermagi, lidless wall, glooms trap on my meteorb sorc i could mule over.

Would a nova sorc be able to kill on hell?

20 nova
20 lm
20 ts
20 frozen orb
rest in cold mastery?

zarfen

Diabloii.Net Member
I think orb would do most of the killing with that skillbuild =) and I believe TS is just awful anyway tou look at it, however thats whats said about it, even though my pute litesorc does fairly good with it (like lvl 13 after +skills and level 33 lm) but I think some trirelementalists are using it, so it mycgt not be too shabby, its fun to use (often toying with it with my lite sorc, who btw accidently have a base level 2 nova( damn missclick), when I go back to normal/nm to do something).
Anyway, as usual my post is very messy, but to sum up: try it, but dont excpect too much, and TS.. hmm, think that over a bit, and I be damned if that build dont end up as a weird FO-user in the end ;)

Hp_Sauce

Diabloii.Net Member
I believe the downfall of Nova in 1.11 is mana. At level 25 your Nova will do a measly 762-1055 damage at the cost of 39 mana per cast. If you get up to the 63% or 105% FCR breakpoints you will be sucking back mana really quickly while not doing that much damage in my opinion. I suppose it could be argued that you can hit a lot of monsters per cast to make up for that though.

Oh, and watch out for FE's.

-hps

tartanasia

Diabloii.Net Member
sorb/nova is 0.9 cow killer build, who knows if it still works. In my opinion orb is a lazy and half arssed skill.

surely this is the way too go...
20nova
20lm
20orb
20cm
?

TheFaceless

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't know if the people replying to this have actually played a nova sorc, but I know from experience that they can kill fairly quickly. Don't bother using thunderstorm. If you're going nova, put those 20 points you have going to TS into ES. You'll need it, since your getting pretty close to your enemies. Give it a shot, see how you like it. I know in 1.10 I had a nova sorc and she went through cows just as fast as any other char I've ever played.

skunkbelly

Diabloii.Net Member
I have a HC nova/blizzard sorc sitting at the Ancient's Way WP in hell difficulty right now. I hope to summon the nerve to send her up against the Ancients sometime in the next week or so.

She's great, and Nova is her main attack skill (with glacial spike on the left mouse button). Blizz is strictly for back-up / LIs.

Keys to remember:

1. Insight is almost mandatory, and you'll still need to drink blues fairly frequently. Nova is a mana hog.

2. Static Field is also important, but you'll have lots of lightning skill bonuses, so that's easy enough.

3. As much + skill gear as you can safely manage. You really do have to boost Nova and mastery to at least level 30, the higher the better.

Enjoy!

oakienko

Diabloii.Net Member
I had a nova/orb/static build back when cow runs were popular.
One of the best things I remember from it was to have a ring of cows just outside your kill zone from the nova you repeatedly cast!

Yes, it eats your mana terribly.

And just to add about frozen orb: there's a good way to throw an orb and a bad way to throw an orb. for max output it is not conceded to be 'half-arssed'

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
1. Insight is almost mandatory, and you'll still need to drink blues fairly frequently. Nova is a mana hog.
True it's a mana hog, but back in 1.09 I have a nova sorc without insight, she runs along just fine. Sure, she can toss on gear to jack her mana up around 3k, but if I do something such as MFing she can get by with a lot less. While Insight is gg, it can be replaced by other things.

2. Static Field is also important, but you'll have lots of lightning skill bonuses, so that's easy enough.
Gogo 10+ Static

3. As much + skill gear as you can safely manage. You really do have to boost Nova and mastery to at least level 30, the higher the better.
Hardly. Maxed nova/mastery with 5-7 +skills is probably adequate for a poormans build. Static things down as far as you can and you don't need 1.3k damage to take them the other half, really. Especially if you're using backup skill with a timer like orb. Static, orb, spam, see what's left.

Nova sorcs are really gg things to play around with, especially if you're a pure lightning build, like mine. Then again Nova is just there to look pretty while I'm bored spamming CL and such.