Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nova/orber

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Fire_Dragon, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Fire_Dragon

Fire_Dragon IncGamers Member

Nova/orber

My sorc is currently level 89 and is rapidly closing in on 90. I was hoping to have the runes for infinity by now, but since Bers remain severely overpriced compared to last ladder this just isn't an option for me yet.

Currently my sorc runs lightning using max LM/L/CL/CB w/ a 73% absorb ES and a smattering of points into nova.

Unfortunately this severely restricts my ability to MF most areas of the game, thought my 12k lightning makes short work of nearly all not light immunes. I want to begin running chaos sanctuary, but it takes nearly 12-15 mins because of all the light immunes and reliance on my merc.

My thoughts for a possible hybrid:
    20 nova
    20 light mastery
    20 frozen orb
    1 cold mastery (I have +9 all skills so this equates to -65% enemy cold res)
    1 thunder storm
    1 shiver armor
    20 telekinesis
    5 energy shield (67% absorb total)

my gear is as follows:
    Ptopaz shako
    Ptopaz tal armor
    tal ammy
    14% tal belt
    frostburn
    silkweave
    30mf nagel natures peace
    35fcr spirit monarch
    ist'd occulus
    pois res sc's
    life and mana sc's

My nova dmg would be between 4xx-9xx. While this is a far cry from 12k I would have 65fcr which would give me I believe 9fps? I'm not sure if that is enough to keep mobs in stun lock or not, Ive never used it before.

My orb would top out at 493 dmg which seems respectable if I learn how to aim with it appropriately etc.

Has anyone used this build before? I MF primarily in solo password protected games so I'm not looking for anything to do P8 hell games with etc. Also I have a -17/11 griffon's (a gift from pindle) so if my light dmg seems to low I could swap out the shako for it which also adds 25fcr.

Is this viable and/or do you see any glaring holes in this set up?

2. droid

droid IncGamers Member

Re: Nova/orber

Nova tends to lag behind other comparable options unless you really devote your gear towards it wholeheartedly. You definitely need a higher FCR breakpoint to achieve a reasonable DPS; its not about just keeping enemies in stunlock, its about killing them at an acceptably efficient rate.

For solo /p1 MFing, I'd recommend CL/FO....it has the AoE benefits of CL, which works at a much greater range than Nova. CB/FO is another option if you prefer to be in closer, and CB is less synergy-dependent and uses a lower FCR bp. Really shines against boss mobs, too.

It seems, too, like you're building an ES sorc, with 20TK and Frosties, but you only have 73% on your ES. Unless you're going to go whole-hog with ES, e.g. 20 hard points and use a +3 ES Memory stick for prebuff, then you're better off just sticking with 1 pt ES, 1 pt TK, and beefing your attack skills up even more, and then switching to Magefist for more FCR.

Likewise, NP is pointless except when Nihl running, there are better options than Silkweaves for an endgame-level sorc, and you really need to hit the 105 bp for the most efficient TPing.

3. Fire_Dragon

I can honestly say I didn't even know CB was ever used anymore. I was looking at a stat calculator and the dmg per bolt looks to be lousy at best. What am I missing? I know the amazon's version has much fewer bolts but those bolts do thousands of dmg. Can you please give me some insight into what/how you use effectively?

Additionally I've respec'd into a Meteorb with backup ES and I seem to have massive survivability. The meteor is an absolute beast and the FB isn't too shabby either, but currently the FO doesn't pack as much punch as I thought it would. Against a single group of tightly packed mobs or a boss when aimed properly it absolutely shines, but using it as devastating AoE it seems more time consuming than I had anticipated.

Is blizzard a stronger alternative?

4. stephan

stephan IncGamers Member

The problem with Meteorb in chaos sanctuary is that the high HP monsters there are Fire Immune. Since Meteorb is a fire oriented build with a little bit of cold it doesn't work too well there. If you go Blizzard/Fireball with a higher emphasis cold (just one Fireball synergy and 1 FM) you should do better. FO shines as a boss killer, but against more or less scattered packs it is not so good.

Personally I would also change to full Tals and magefists. You already have the 35% Spirit so you go will get to 105% FCR casting without losing too much MF.

Or do what droid suggested. :)

5. droid

droid IncGamers Member

CB does massive damage when you get all 24 bolts to hit....the small damage adds up. A fully synergized CB with standard issue MF Tals setup (+9 to all skills with Torch and Anni) will do upwards of 8600 damage, and the damage range is a lot tighter than you get with CL or Lightning.

Blizzard is stronger against small packs, but it doesnt have quite the AoE punch that Orb does. And definitely not when you only invest <30 points in it, like you do with Orb. Blizzard usually takes about 40-60 points with synergies to be endgame-effective.

Orb is never going to be a room-clearer, its an AoE thats somewhat effective over a wide path, and more effective over a narrow path.

6. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

First, look on the brightside - Chaos was basically Hdin land pre 1.13 since IM was bound to kill melee (namely mercs) sooner than later. That alone opens the doorway for effectively all the other builds.

CB's strength like droid said is its consistency - you don't get the variance and up close with the right gear you can do over 20k damage if all bolts hit (not taking into account - res and additional damage)

The strength and weakness of orb is its lacking synergies - while it doesn't take a heavy investment to be worthwhile, its not as efficient as it could be also.

While blizz will ultimately do more damage against packs, you also have to consider the point investment and how much you can afford to devote to this tree and that.

7. Fire_Dragon

This is all new to me and I must say very interesting!

I did what you recommended and completed my tal's set. I didn't have a pair of magefist or trang gloves anywhere so I popped on 2x 10fcr rings and hit the road. It might sound strange, but since in 1.12 I only played on a friends hdin I forgot that I can actually tele significantly faster...

I'm very intrigued by the idea of CB. Assuming I wanted to take it into hell chaos sanctuary with me, will it be viable? I know that we're talking about all the bolts hitting i.e. boss and uniques etc. but what about using it offensively as a basic crowd clearing skill? Is it still effective or is this method pointless? If it is viable I would be willing to synergize it with lightning and LM.

How does a FO/CB build compare to a FO/CL build?

8. droid

droid IncGamers Member

CB is much less effective as an area-clearing skill. Its impossible to get all - or even just a large proportion - of the bolts to hit vs most monsters, and to get the max amount to hit you have to be right up in a monster's face, which means you're taking hits and damage a lot more than you do even with a Nova sorc. Once you're as little as 1-2 monster widths away from the sorc, each individual target is only taking maybe 1/6 or 1/8 of the damage of a monster right in your face.

CS may be one of the few places its more viable, because the only CIs there are the OKs, which typically only spawn one at a time. If you ran CS with a CB/Orber, you'd probably end up using Orb to clear out everything but the OKs, then TPing and using CB merely as a quick cleanup skill. Then CB against Diablo would take him down mighty fast.

CB, just like Zon's CS, is really a bosskilling skill, and in that regard can outshine even FB. CL is the roomclearing skill.

9. DH Amazon

DH Amazon IncGamers Member

It's weaker than orb, but as you can cast it agaist monster that are far away behind other monsters, it works nicely in Chaos. And I hate orb, so it's no option for me.

I use weak blizzard (~35 points in cold tree, 1.5k blizzard) in Chaos with my lightning/chain lightning sorc. It's good enough to kill all in ~5 min.

I like nova, but my items are too weak to make good nova+blizzard sorc, as I want something like this for nova sorc.
    CM+Griffon(facet)+Vipermagi(facet)+3L10fcr+Stormshield(facet)+Magefist+2soj+arach (Low cost Nova with -60-70 % To Enemy Lightning Resistance)