Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Nova/Inferno Sorc

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Arkonc, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Arkonc

Arkonc IncGamers Member

Nova/Inferno Sorc

I was thinking of making a sorc I haven't seen before...
    And I've always wanted to use Inferno for killing...
    So I was thinking, I max out Inferno, Warmth, Fire Mastery, Nova and Lightning mastery...
    Then add some FCR and +skills from items for decent damage over time...

Anyone have any experience with this? Or any advice?

2. lorax

lorax IncGamers Member

I don't directly have experience with this, but have tried an Lightning sorc before...
    I like the concept, but Nova it self doesn't do enough dmg.. not even with LM mastered.. This build won't last long..
    Lightnings sorceresses should be dedicated to lightning, othervice they should have Orb or Meteor as secondary I don't think this will be able to do hell..

I like the tought though

3. Lord_Alucard

Lord_Alucard IncGamers Member

A Pure Nova sorc shines truly when wielding an Infinity (not on a merc that is) and without is...meh, go for Lightning/CHain LIghtning instead. The trick with a pure Nova sorc is Energy Shield and a massive manapool, serves as both mana and health. So a maxed Energy Shield with maxed Telekinesi is almost a must here since you will be very near the enemies and dont have a shield. And if you wanna max you 4 skills in the lightning tree along with 3 in the fire tree...easy math, not enough points.

I dont even think INferno is worth maxing out, even with maxed Warmth and Fire Mastery, the dmg would be to low. And (not sure here) Inferno is not affected by faster cast rate. So my 2 cents to your build is, either go pure nova and max Nova, Lightning Maserty, Energy Shield and Telekines and rest in warmth OR go fire all out.

4. lorax

lorax IncGamers Member

This sounds reasonable, If you want to go with 2 skill tree's go for Cold and Fire..
    Look for BlizzBall for focus on Cold or Meteorb for focus on fire..

5. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

you get points for not doing the cookie cutter thing, but baal won't really care about that. I agree with the comment that nova (and even inferno to some extent) don't have the range to allow you sit back and cast spells. You have to get up close and personal which will be a problem.

You don't see too many fire/light sorcs as both trees take a lot of skill points to really get them synergized. About the only "economy" spell that a sorc has is Frozen Orb. With good +skill gear you only need 1 point in the mastery to make it effective. That will get you a good backup spell for 25-30 points.

btw inferno does use fast cast. But the breakpoints are different (same as lightning and chain lightning).

6. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Bite your tongue. 20 points in Firewall + 1 point in FM will deal far more damage than 20 points in Frozorb + 1 point in CM, no matter how many +skills you're rocking, unless you run into extremely resistant enemies (far more damage if you're running an Infinity Merc).

Frozen Orb has a lot of things going for it- it's easier to aim, it chills monsters, it's probably better for taking out large packs- but you'd need to hit an enemy with 7 shards from Frozorb in order to beat out the damage from a firewall, and that's discounting the ability to keep enemies in Firewalls for 2 or 3 seconds (which you can do with a well-aimed firewall).

Again, the main difference is that Frozen Orb is harder to aim (with firewall, you have to click perpendicular to where you want it to spawn, so if you want to roast an enemy in front of you, you're better served clicking immediately to your right or left to make the Firewall spawn pointing front-to-back). Despite that, Firewall is every bit as economical of a spell-choice as Frozen Orb.

7. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

OK, I'll give you firewall as a decent economy spell. I still prefer FO for its room clearing effect in Norm and NM though.

8. SSoG

SSoG IncGamers Member

Agreed. No skill makes Nightmare anywhere NEAR as easy as a slvl 20 Orb. Doesn't matter what you are, if you have a slvl 20 frozorb, Nightmare is a joke.