Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

'nother character concept thingy, in a manner of speaking, after a fashion

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Ãœdorim, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Ãœdorim

Ãœdorim IncGamers Member

'nother character concept thingy, in a manner of speaking, after a fashion

Long story short(ened): I don't have an internet connection of my own anymore, nor a lot of time, thus I haven't done much to work on any of my writing project thingamabobs ... of course, I didn't really work to hard on them when I had both a connection and a lot of time, so in reality I guess you could just say that I'm a horrible person. But I have had a sort of an idea germinating in the back of my head for a while now, a sort of a character concept that spun from the tail end of a deep-sixed story of mine (which of course I don't think I ever even started). I figured it would only take me a couple quarter hours to write up a character concept in full, and even though certain, shall we call them Journals, are left without new entries for the time being, there is this instead. The character class of the future. Yeah.

The character class of the future, almost, but first: some mechanics get in the way.

The way I see it, Diablo 3 will be as different from Diablo 2 as said game was from Diablo 1. Seems obvious. And I'm sick of D2 character concepts. So even though the ideas I have to present will probably not be those actually used in the next Diablo, likely not even close, I will still present them and base a concept on them anyway. To be succinct, which is something I am sublimely skilled at, skill points as we know them are gone. I think synergies were a decent idea gone awry -- I hate their implementation. So even though they might be the way of the future, my proposed solution is this: instead of putting skill points into individual skills, characters will put them into the entire skill tree as a whole. For example, a sorceress with 30 points in the cold tree may have as a result the equivalent of a level 1 frozen orb and a level 10 frost nova and a level 20 frost ball level 1 thingy, etc etc. To create diversity, each class now has 6 skill trees to put their points in, and certain skill trees augment the powers of others. This is both simpler than D2 mechanics, as there are only 6 options rather than 30, but also leads to more expansive skill lists, as the average D2 character had only 6 skills (approx. 120 skill points / 20 give or take) whereas the new characters have access to at least two entire trees.

Hopefully that didn't take too long. So anyway, onto the character class of the future: the totem barbarian!

The totem barbarian is born of the rejoined barbarian and druid clans (neither of which as separate entities are present in Diablo 3 -- well, you can't prove me wrong, yet). Revelling in the shamanistic heritage of his shapeshifter forefathers and the rugged genes of his barbarian ancestry, the new barbarian is empowered with the fury of the earth itself in his unceasing quest ... to kill things over and over again for shiny items.

Totem Barbarian Skill Trees:
    - Warcries
    - Totems
    - Summons
    - Were-forms
    - Combat Skills
    - Combat Masteries

To be honest I dunno how I feel about this character, it might be too ... much like something, I dunno what. Nothing? But I wouldn't mind looking at two barbarians and not be able to find any similarities. Anyway, I'm not going to bother with the last two tech trees, as this is quite clearly enough too much already. Basically the idea is that you can either create a bunch of summons, then warcry them to insane proportions, or strategically trap enemies with totems and then bombard them with summons, or be pretty well equivalent to a D2 barbarian with lots of combat skills like a frenzied whirlwind with combat masteries, or transform into a monstrous beast and then do the whirlwinding, or transform and then summon things, or trap things with strategically placed totems and then transform into a monstrously huge beast and hurl yourself at the aforementioned trapped things, or pick up items with ravens, or summon things and kill alongside them like a barbarian, or do just about anything that doesn't involve the elemental side of things. Because that side is exceedingly small and has mold on it and smells funny.

I'd imagine each skill tree has upwards of 10 skills without including the ones granted it from synergies from other trees, such as the were-form combat skills.

My favorite skill was Puppet.

The Roc reminded me too much of warcraft.

Mystic River was robbed.

I'm going now.

p.s. sorry about posting. I apologize.

2. Snowglare

Snowglare Fan Fiction Forum Moderator

Hehe. Nice concept. I didn't read it all, but what I did read was interesting. Character concepts aren't really my thing, but a well written one can hold my attention for a while.

"p.s. sorry about posting. I apologize."

You should be sorry for posting so little. For shame!

3. Bitterman

Bitterman IncGamers Member

I like it.

4. CliffCarlisle

CliffCarlisle IncGamers Member

Nice! Thats facinating. It makes me want to do a character in that style.

Thanks for the inspiration! And the cool concept. :flip:

5. Jazzmosis

Jazzmosis IncGamers Member

It's a good concept, but a rediculously complex system for attributing points... IMO what Diablo 2's fall was a max level of 99... should have been a level of 300 or something, so more time to learn skills.. to me, it'd be a better/easier way of dealing with skills.

6. Ãœdorim

Ãœdorim IncGamers Member

No no no, that simply won't do!

The whole point of my idea is that players don't pick their skills. They just pick which area they want to progress in. It would be much more complex from a designer's standpoint to include my spin on synergies ... though it wouldn't be necessary ... but that's why it's just a concept. For the player, the way I imagine it, the system would be simpler. Oh well.

There are many problems with simply jacking up the maximum level. With 300 skill points, someone could max fifteen skills, i.e. half of the entire list. If you consider that almost as many as half of all skills are useless, that pretty much destroys character variety. Here's what I mean, (ignoring synergies for the moment) take the barb as an example.

You can immediately drop five weapon masteries, increased stamina speed and natural res (which only need one point each, really), leap (which is replaced by leap attack), bash and stun most likely, double swing, most likely double throw, taunt grim ward and howl don't need to be maxed ... that's at least 15 skills that are useless to the average barbarian, leaving him with 15 skills to allocate points to. With 300 skill points, he can fill them all. Thus making every barbarian on the realms virtually identical.

And what are you going to do about experience? Make a player gain levels faster? Then it means less to achieve one. Extend the game by adding another 10 acts? Try to sell that idea to Blizzard. Wait -- this isn't fiction. I'm gonna go.

7. tamrend

tamrend IncGamers Member

It seems to me that "useless skills" is the fallacy to begin with. Synergies tried to rectify that by making lower level skills boost the power of higher level skills and it works, to a degree, but the emphasis is still on a handful of powerful endgame skills. The assassin is probably the only character with very good depth, variety and usefulness of skills, with the necromancer coming in second.

Your approach is interesting in that it encourages the use of all skills and lends a definite progression to character development.

8. Jazzmosis

IMO, the downfall with Diablo 2 is alot of useless skills. I've been messing around in the game, trying to create oddball characters (like a chain lightning sorc, a bowmancer)

As for my "more levels" it would be virtually the same exp to get from 1-99. But of course 300 would be too much and impossible to get to.. so obviously the next game would need more acts/levels/quests/whatever... personally I liked the concept of chosing a specialty... It was boring to play as the same magic skill everytime.

9. flame737

flame737 IncGamers Member

Are they really going to make a Diablo "3"??? If they were it's most likely going to be like all the other games(which I probably won't like). They can always add more and more Acts,Quests, etc. with more expantions.

10. Jazzmosis

They may, but I haven't heard anything about a Diablo 3.. if sales are there they'll make one. Blizzard won't add expansions to D2 because there's nowhere to go without a serious time gap - much like from Diablo 1 to 2.

They certainly left it open with the Worldstone.. but how exactly could they bring back Diablo (the character, not the game)?

11. Metroid_01

Metroid_01 IncGamers Member

They dont need to bring back diablo...and if they really wanna include him.... lets just go down into hell and beat him there. get some amazing immortal killing weapon or somethin, like the hellforge hammer than you use to deliver the final blow to him. and i strongly belive that Eventually...diablo3 will be made. D2 was amazingly popular, and the sales are just too much for blizz to abandon. unfortunately the team that worked on d2 has more or less fallen apart so it will be some time.
    the possiblilities are completely endless as to what blizzard could do in a continuation of the series, i only hope they do find some way to put real originality into this.. (synergies were definitely a great choice in that, conciter .09 with zons and barbs ruling d2...now you cant predict what you will meet, though some classes are much more popular than others.)
    i think you are right though Jazz, theres no way to continue this now, the three are gone and it wouldnt make much sence for anything new to happen when ur characters JUST finished off the prime evils...save maybe the lesser evils decide to come up to the surface and have fun...or commit suicide gainst botd pallys ;), whatever it may be. the concept above is rather good, but it appears to cover many other classes, which would mean those classes would likely dissapear, resulting in just a couple really expansive groups.

12. tamrend

tamrend IncGamers Member

I'm guessing that there won't be a Diablo 3. As mentioned, the storyline has pretty much been played out. While it's true that sales often spawn sequels, in games as well as movies, there's one thing you've gotta consider. This is Blizzard. People expect great games from them, which can only be said about a very few game developers. If they decide to put out another RPG, it will probably be something completely different. Moreover, we already have World of Warcraft on the way, and I see a MMORPG as the next step up from the Diablo games.

13. Ãœdorim

Ãœdorim IncGamers Member

No, it's Blizzard North.

Heh. Sorry.

14. Tigerius

Tigerius IncGamers Member

Newcomer here but been working on a few ideas for a long time, am I to assume this is the right forum for new character concepts then?
    It did seem the most appropriate spontaneously and then I found this thread.

15. Ãœdorim

Ãœdorim IncGamers Member

Yes and no. I put mine here because it wasn't ever finished and because the format was different than normal. No other concepts that I know of ever changed from the D2 template all that much...

my point which I'm not getting around to all that quickly is that although you can post them here, (and if you did you might consider putting them all under one thread, as concepts are typically short and it would prevent excessive amounts of thread necromancy, kinda like how I thought this thread was finally dead but now it's not) you might want to send them straight to the dark library alongside a host of existing character concepts. If your concept is already complete, send it to tdl after you've spellchecked it. If you want feedback or to generate discussion about the concept, anywhere here is fine.

We've lots of space to spare.