Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Not so fragile Mat

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Tupsi, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Tupsi

Tupsi IncGamers Member

Not so fragile Mat

Another thread about my Mat'd Sorceress. You might remember Ethereal, the weak one. Well, she runs Hell Mephisto now and does quite well with 'perfect map' (Durance 3 right behind the waypoint, one teleport. No councils behind the portal to screw up my business. Only the racks kinda suck, Feral axes from the other and necro heads from the other).
    Ok, a very weak Sorc was funny to play because one hit could've meant death, and very often it did. But I wanted to go for a Sorc that could handle most of the blows like they were slaps of Fallens, just for a change :wink:

Grim, Sorceress
    Level 83
    Lightning/Blizzard/ES+DR

Cold tree:
    1 Frozen armor
    20 Blizzard
    1 Cold mastery
    4 pre-req

Lightning tree:
    20 Lightning
    20 Chain Lightning
    13 Telekinesis (next 7 points will go here)
    10 Lightning mastery (after the 7 points in Telekinesis, this will be raised)
    1 Teleport
    1 Static field
    1 pre-req

Fire tree:
    1 Warmth

Lightning: 3-6145
    Chain Lightning: 3-3200
    Blizzard: 948-1010
    ES slvl 14, 67% absorbed

Equip:
    *HotO which was rolled this morning when I got the final runes from Countess required to cube a Vex. I'm afraid of telling you the +res I got, but here goes... ... 40.
    *Gerke's Sanctuary (pDia). Again perf, +30 res. Perf PDR, the worst MDR.
    *Que-Hegan
    *Coronet with 3 Lightning and 3 PDR
    *Magefist
    *Silkweave
    *Tal Rasha's Fine-spun cloth a.k.a. Tal belt
    *Switch: Random Orb and Visceratuant for casting/buffing Thunderstorm and ES

Jewelry:
    *SoJ
    *14 all res, 5 light radius, 30 AR ring
    *3 Lightning, 14 PDR amulet

Charms:
    *19 all res
    *13 FHR
    *97 mana
    *64 life
    *15 slots from the inventory

Stats (I tell them buffed):
    Strenght: 133
    Dexterity: 181
    Vitality: 10
    Energy: 206 (each point gives 3 mana with +mana gear)

Remaining: 20 (for raising my block to max if I change my belt)

Life: 246
    Mana: 1024
    All res: 52

Other stuff:
    Hellforges: Thul, Shael, Fal.
    Azrael the Prayer Merc using Insight, Andy's face, Shaft. Equip will be upgraded as soon as he gets enough strenght.

To do:
    *Craft hell of a lot of Caster Amulets and run Baal. (Level 90 would mean max Telekinesis, above that, more damage on Lightning spells.)
    *Find out all the possible breakpoints with my equip and then decide what to use for best results.
    *Find/trade better circlet and the Gladiator's Bane or even Iron Pelt.
    *Socket them.
    *Gief skillerz and arachnid!1
    *Remember to cast the goddamn ES everytime you enter a game.

Thanks for reading, suggestions appreciated.

2. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

Nice one!

I'm building my own lightning+es sorc. do you really need pdm and mdr? In that case i can better wear my arch-angels tiara of life everlasting with two sols.:wink2: . I think it reduces damage by 34 or so. And does the blizzard deal a nice punch or can i better go with frozen orb? thanks for the nice thread.

Jae.

edit: the alternative for the tiara will be a +17/-23 griffons eye. Hhhmm, killer damage or more safety?

3. Tupsi

Tupsi IncGamers Member

I did some simple testing. Enter The Hole in Black marsh and teleport to a pack of monsters (archers).
    #1 With Gerke's and 14 pdr amulet = 30 PDR + 14 MDR
    #2 With Moser's

Only PDR/MDR were different and maybe fpb since Moser's has 30 FBR. My resistances were the same, also the block% and ES level were the same. No mercenary was used in the experiment.
    The difference there was, that in #1, I died because my mana was drained. In #2 I died because my life was drained (in bigger chunks and a lot faster).
    I did the same thing in act 5 and got the same results. Even after altering /players setting between 1-8.

With PDR, I take damage, but the whole damage is drained from my mana bulb very slowly, because it fills like crazy. If there is a blow hard enough to get through my ES absorb and PDR, and drain life from my life bulb, the life will come back in a second or two because of the prayer aura. I think the whole bulb is filled in 4 ticks.

I'd say that it does matter to this kind of setup. Don't know how things work if you have a bit more life and better ES. Of course smaller amount of PDR could do then, but what's a good amount and do you want to stack it a bit more for better safety, that's the question I think.

Second question. I prefer Blizzard because it does better damage when I get no +cold damage from equip, but only +skills. It's also easier to use, because it can be thrown far, far away, just like CL. It kills the often weak lightning immunes quite nicely. No more than 2 Blizzards is needed in most cases.
    I wouldn't change it to more 'close combat' oriented Frozen Orb. Not that I couldn't handle the melee range, it's just more effective to keep distance and throw one Blizz, three CLs, one Blizz and so on.

"Killer damage or more safety?" Depends on what you're doing and can you get the PDR from other pieces of equipment.
    I could imagine myself using Griffon over all the other helms. But yea, never had one so don't know its actual abilities and power.

4. Suiling

Suiling Banned

Nice mat Tupsi! Congrats!

5. Tupsi

Tupsi IncGamers Member

Thank you Suiling :azn:

Some updating:
    I could say "omfgzorxiitlolwtf!1!?", but I won't... This is huge anyway.
    I wanted to find the Gladiator's Bane, you know that. I also wanted to find Arachnid Mesh to catch up the breakpoint I would lose due to armor switch.
    Well, I started this all by equipping Grim with some MF items. Stuff like Tarnhelm, Ali Baba socketed with two ~10% MF jewels, Goldwrap, you get the picture: pathetic.
    Next I went to ATMA and checked the drop calculator. The Gladiator's Bane; 1:1060. "Aaargh!" Fine, let's try Arachnid; 1:1042. "ffs, I'll never find these..."
    But geez, how wrong I was... Both dropped this evening :badteeth: The Gladiator about 3 hours ago and Arachnid just 5 minutes ago. But no, I did not do Meph for 3 hours (more like 30 minutes), my younger brother just played some WarCraft. I've always been jealous to him because he's so good in real-time strategies...

Anyway, now I'll rebuild her without a worry about equipment or stats.

6. Suiling

Suiling Banned

So you are going to delete this one?

7. Tupsi

Tupsi IncGamers Member

The original thought was to move her save files to some folder out of sight and make another one with same/different name.
    But talks about rebuilding her was just bulls***. It looked that I had taken over 20 points extra strenght, but I was just too tired to investigate the problem properly. 13 of the extra strenght came from Sandstorm Treks, and the other 7 from two random charms in my inventory. Hassling around like this is part of me, I do it in IRC, real life, forums, you name it :laugh:
    So no, Grim won't be deleted or retired. I'm off to bed before I confuse more minds... Good night!